“Decent place”

Ranked #61 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Georgetown, Kentucky
“Decent place”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable and it was quiet enough. The staff was not overly friendly but at least they weren't rude. The only problem we had was that our keys lost their memory which was a little inconvenient. Overall it was a good value especially considering how inexpensive it was.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This experience was not a good one for me, it wasn't the most horrible but it wasn't very good. When arriving to the hotel I ask if they had a pool and they did. That was probably the nicest thing I experienced here. I was very disappointed that the hot tub beside the very nice, large, pool was not heated at all. Don't know what the problem was but I should have ask upon check'in if the hot tub worked. The heated indoor pool was nice though. The noise from the train kept me up all night. It kept going by over and over. If the train behind the hotel didn't wake me up the voices from others in the hall did. It was not a quiet place. The bed wasn't comfortable, it sagged in the middle, the television was small and old. The coffeepot was nice and the desk chair was nice. The bathroom was clean. The room was clean. The coffee in the lobby was ok. The check in person was nice. I did not see the exercise room, so I don't know what that was like. I would not stay here again unless i had to. If I had to I could tolerate it, but not happily.

Room Tip: Not really sure if other rooms are nicer or not, but train is awful. Unless you can block that sort...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carla P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel about six months ago, beautiful Lobby, the hotel staff is very accommodating and the restaurant was serving the very best food. The staff was most helpful at the frontdesk and the amenities, such as pool, business center, and free wifi was supurb. We used the internet and had no issues, the speed was good for searching the web and posting to different sites.
All in all a great place to stay and close to colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and Water Country which is a big plus

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3rd or 4th floor for minimal disruption, first floor is the pet friendly floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
nchalkley, General Manager at Best Western Williamsburg Historic District, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for the great review - we realize the need in this day and time to have an effective internet system It is always a challange since systems are evolving daily. I will certainly pass this on to our IT department.
Location, location, location is a plus - we are the closest hotel in Williamsburg to the Colonial section - just a two block walk. And combine that with two miles from Busch Gardens and Water country gives us the needed advantage to make your stay a great one.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Not bad for a quick over night stay. It is old and needs some work. The positive is that there is free wifi and tasty free coffee in the lobby. Since its older the structure of the building is better and the walls are not as thin as the new hotels, so we never had issues with noise or neighbors. Oh, and they have an easy swipe key entry for room, very modern for this place. Location is good for site seeing, etc.

The negative is that the bathroom is small and needs revamping but has good water pressure. The beds were not comfortable. The tv is old and the picture is not clear, it's an old tube tv. No flat screens here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CatMom2013
nchalkley, General Manager at Best Western Williamsburg Historic District, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thanks you for your recent stay. We are an older hotel and because of that we are built better. I am in process of ordering our flat screens as I wite this to you. We will be doing futrther renovations as the year progesses. So when you visit again some new changes will be visable.Because we are older and better built, we do everything possiable to make your stay a great one. On your return visit please stop by and see me (GM ) so I can thank you personally and provide for any additional assistance.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was from Saturday, May 10 – Monday, May 13, 2013. We arrived around 11:00am and too experienced the surly lady at the front desk that the reviewer before me mentioned. She was not pleasant at all but did painstakingly answer all of my questions.
From the previous reviews I was expecting the worst but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was ‘dated’ as noted several times, but then isn’t everything in Colonial Williamsburg?  There was a bit of a mildew smell in the hallway when we arrived but it was gone the next day. Our room did not smell of mildew at all. I have to say that the beds were VERY comfortable and we slept great. Everything was clean and I think it served its purpose well and the price was great! This is all coming from someone who is a bit of a Diva…but hey I wasn’t expecting the Ritz Carlton…but then again I didn’t pay Ritz Carlton prices!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for the great review. I am pleased we cauld fulfill your needs. I have noted the comment concerning front desk and assure you it will be attended to immediatly. I am so glad that we could provide a nice "Diva" a great stay. We will be updating our home soon and welcome you again for an even nicer visit.
Salisbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I don't know if it was chemistry or what, but when I checked in I found the desk clerk to be surly -- so much so that my anticipation of exploring Williamsburg took a huge dive.

My reaction was to start writing this review the moment we got to our room, and I very diligently cataloged everything that was remotely wrong (besides the surly desk clerk). We thought the room was tiny relative to other Choice Hotels rooms. The TV was an antique tube model and the reception was not great. Needless to say, the desk clerk didn't acknowledge my Choice Hotels membership (they're supposed to do that). There was only one electrical outlet available in the room (until I moved the coffee maker -- which didn't work -- to the bathroom). In other words, it was headed for a one star rating.

Then things started to turn around. Everyone else on the staff with whom I had any contact at all was not just friendly and helpful, they were VERY friendly and helpful. There was a second sink in the room (helpful when I had to move the coffee maker there to free up an outlet). The beds were extra long. In addition to the usual styrofoam coffee cups, there were ceramic coffee mugs. There was already a non-slip bath mat in the tub, so we didn't have to deploy the one we carry on trips. There were plenty of luggage trollies, even with two tour buses checking out at the same time we were. The location is about as good as you can get with respect to Colonial Williamsburg without staying in one of the lodging facilities owned by Colonial Williamsburg. The room was quiet.

But the real high point of this stay was the staff (minus the surly desk clerk encountered at check in). Both in the hotel and in the attached restaurant, they were absolutely super -- upbeat, happy, helpful. Because the staff was so nice, it pains me to just give the place three stars.

1 Thank BetweentheLakes
Thanks you for your review. I noticed you are a senior contributor and detail comments mean a lot coming from a seasoned traveler. We try hard and I have one of the best staffs in town. I am glad the people made your visit a great one. I will work on the details you noted needing my attention and will ensure we move in the right direction to make your next visit even better.
Again thank you for the time and helpful hints.
Thanks
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Less than a 10 minute walk to the center of historic Williamsburg. We were on a group tour and stayed 6 nights. The room was clean but the beds could of been firmer. Our bureau was broken, the carpets were worn. We had trouble with the safety lock that ended in locking us out of the room. The normal electronic locks were tricky to use. The staff was very helpful. AAA gives this hotel 3 stars. Based on my experience it should have two stars. The hotel could use remodeling. On balance, the closeness to Williamsburg outweighs the weaknesses with the room. For a visit to Williamsburg I would stay there again. I was very satisfied with the attached restaurant. The meeting spaces were comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit - I am sorry about the new locks - they are a new and different product. They no longer require swiping but require just touch the key directly to the door. I am glad you liked the room and the location. We have plans to remodel in the near future. Lok forward to your visit again.
Thanks