“Excellence at its Best”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I am exastic about writing this review. This hotel is the best of the best. This trip was not planned, so I was so surprised to be able to walk in and be able get such a beautiful room at such a great rate. The rooms were spectacular. The service was commendable. I will be staying there everytime I visit the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank kee_luv

Reviewed August 20, 2007

We booked a historical getaway through the Carlton Hospitality Group. This was the hotel we were to stay at, had a confirmation number and booked a King with Jacuzzi non smoking room. Upon our arrival we were told our room was not ready as they were "packed all week" and they had not gotten around to cleaning it yet. This was around 4pm when we arrived. We were told the wait would be around 40 minutes and to help ourselves to the coffee and cookies. The girl at the counter told us she did not want our credit card nor would she give us our tickets until she was sure the room was ready. The food area had filthy chairs, dirty stuffed chairs, and workers helping themselves to the water and cookies meant for the guests and just hanging around talking to the other workers. The pool was green and there were flies around in the food area along with a sticky floor. We were then informed by a second young worker that our King Jacuzzi had been given to a wedding party and that we were basically out of luck. We had to settle for double bed no jacuzzi despite our having reserved with confirmation the other room. When I questioned how long ago the wedding party had booked the room no paperwork could be found. We were told the room had been decorated and would be given to them not us. I have never been treated so poorly in all my 40 plus years of traveling. We overheard the girls telling another person that they could only give the names and numbers of "sister" hotels. We called the tourism bureau and found a room at the local Howard Johnson's. That hotel was clean and the staff didn't resort to lying to us!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Professor57
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I had stayed here before when it was a Hampton Inn and it was a nice, clean, quiet location. This stay was horrible. While the front desk staff were all very pleasant, the place looked (and smelled) old and tired. The pool area was unclean and the water slimy. No towels for a day after the old were removed but they ran out of clean ones. They ran out of food one morning. Had to try a couple of door keys after the second night to find one that would work. I was told they had just signed a deal to become a Best Western in the fall. Until alot of money is pumped into renovating and refurbishing this place and upgrading the amenities..find a different place to stay.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank Californiac
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Room quality and cleanliness was more than satisfactory. There was a too-sweet chemical cleaning smell in most of the hallways, but not in the rooms, which was certainly a plus. The bathroom was all working, with plenty of hot water, and very clean. No mildew, or moldy smell.

The complimentary breakfast was light, but not bad. If you are content with bagels, muffins, cereal and french toast sticks, you are in luck. They had very limited fruit, and no breakfast meats or eggs, but I never left hungry.

The surrounding area was safe. Within easy walking distance are an Uno's Chicago restaurant, mini-golf, and Dairy Queen. Directly across the street is a Hooter's and Cracker Barrel. Within 5 minutes by car is a Food Lion, CVS and Walgreens as well as an assortment of other restaurants down Bypass road.

Busch Gardens, Water country USA and Colonial Williamsburg are also within quick driving range, with road signs for directions.

The only issue I had was that my room key did not work at first, and I had to go back downstairs to have the attendant re-swipe it. Which took about 4 and a half minutes from start to finish...not a big deal.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank wthal
Reviewed August 2, 2007

For the money I was really impressed. The staff and rooms were great. The pool was okay, but for the money you really can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank cottagetrips
Reviewed July 29, 2007

My girlfriend and I Stayed at the Waller Mill from July 23 to July 26 2007. This is a two star hotel but it was similar to many three star hotels I have stayed in. The Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived two hours earlier than the four o'clock check in time but we were allowed to have our room at that time. The room was clean and neat with a small refridgerator, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, wireless internet and cable T.V. The continental breakfast was about what I expected. Not fancy, but everything you needed to get a nice breakfast and start your day. The hotel is less than a mile from The Willimasburg Visitor Center. They don'y have a resturant but there is an Uno's right across the parking lot. There is also a K-mart across the street. The only con's to the hotel is noise in the hallway carries into the room. This was really not a big deal since the guest are mostly families and no one was running in and out late. The other con was they had someone in the front lobby who seemed to be there to help with tourist information but was really trying to sell you a time share for a new resort. Not that he was pushy but I thought it was annoying to ask for directions to Williamsburg and find out I am talking to a sales person. I prepaid the hotel and when we checked out I gave back my key my room number and that was it. No hidden charges, no fuss. My girlfriend and I had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dennisb703
Reviewed June 23, 2007

This place was a mess from start to finish. Although we were able to check into our rooms okay, as we checked in, several members of a youth girls sports team were at the desk trying to straighten out the fact that they had twice been assigned to rooms, only to walk in and find the rooms already occupied by other guests. The "full" breakfast the next morning consisted of cold cereal, white bread for toast, and a few bagels and muffins (the latter of which were ice cold). But that was better than the second morning, when they were completely out of food except for cereal. Meanwhile, the second night of our stay, the fire alarm went off. When we went down stairs to the lobby, the one clerk on duty seemed completely unconcerned, despite the fact that several people insisted that they could smell smoke on the second floor. The fire department eventually showed up (after being called by a guest, not the staff!), and found that it was a problem with a heater on the second floor. The final straw was when a fireman went behind the desk counter to reset the alarms. He had trouble getting the door to the box reshut, and as I watched in disgust, the totally incompetent desk clerk sarcastically said "It ain't that hard" and shut the box while rolling her eyes towards the guests who were still standing there, in an obvious attempt to embarrass the fireman. In short, staying at the Waller Mills Inn was the worst travel experience I have ever endured.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple