“Hotel Just OK. Great Location.”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend short vacation. The hotel is in a great location that's convenient to pretty much everything in the area. The morning front desk staff was VERY friendly. The later evening person at the front desk wasn't outright rude, but wasn't really friendly either. I encountered him twice...once at check in and again a couple nights later when our room key had quit working. He acted like he absolutely hated his job, was totally miserable, like he didn't want to be there, and he had no personality whatsoever. The maids did an OK job on the room, but never vacuumed once our entire stay. There were two small pieces of a candy wrapper that we dropped by accident the first evening. I didn't notice them until the next morning, and decided to just leave them there thinking they would get vacuumed up when the maid cleaned the room. I thought wrong. They were still there when we came back to the room that evening. I left them there (along with some other things I noticed on the floor) to see how long they would stay there. They stayed there during our ENTIRE stay. I guess it's hotel policy to not vacuum a room until a guest change?? And they would never take the "Please Clean" sign off the door. We would put it out each morning as we were leaving the room, and it would still be there in the evening when we would return...but the room was made up each day. Weird. I noticed one maid (I think she may have been the one in charge, but not sure) roll her eyes at us as we were leaving our room one morning. I guess we weren't getting out of the room early enough for her or something? We weren't checking out that morning...so it wasn't like they had to have the room ready for someone else by a certain time. Also, they were nowhere near done with our floor, so it's not like they had finished with all the rooms and would have to come back later in the day. They were actually working on the rooms directly beside ours as we were leaving. Whatever. On checkout day the fire alarm went off around 7:15am. We left our room to head downstairs, and just as our room door shut the alarm was turned off. Nice! At least I thought to take the room key with me. Never noticed any signs of fire or smoke, and the front desk girl made no mention of it (no sorry or anything) during checkout. Guess they wanted everyone to be up and checked out by a certain time, so they did a whole-building wake-up call. HA! We travel to the area fairly regularly, and have stayed at several of the hotels around town. This one wasn't the worst hotel we've ever stayed in, but I don't think we'd choose it again and probably wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Scot S
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for your response and review of your recent stay. I apologize for the oversight by housekeeping, it is a requirement that all rooms are vacuumed each and everyday. We also apologize for the fire alarm. We were on the floors right away including routine stops by the exits to update guests. We called each room after the alarm was silenced in an attempt to check on every guest in the hotel. Once again thank you for your response and the inconvienances.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to go on a short fall getaway to Williamsburg. This hotel was very nice and close to Colonial Williamsburg. Clean, comfy bed, free breakfast, good size fridge and microwave in the room. The indoor pool was a plus this time of year. The staff was pleasant and friendly. We had to cut our stay short because of Sandy, and they were able to accommodate us. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

The only downside I'd mention is that sometimes the area around the elevator can become wet/slippery because of the pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your response, sorry the storm cut your stay short. Thankfully we did not experience any damage or outages in the area. If you get a chance come back and see us, its still a beautiful time of year here.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We hadn't gone on a family vacation for many years since our sons were now grown. They wanted to visit Busch Gardens and the Historic Area again so we took them and their girlfriends this past July. The hotel was conveniently located, the rooms were very clean, the staff of high quality, and the breakfast excellent (variety of choices). And the rates were reasonable (a major consideration since we treated for three rooms)! Hated to have to leave. We would definitely return to this hotel. Thank you B-W for helping make our family vacation a memorable one.
Elaine R.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your response and glad we made your stay enjoyable, thats what we are here for. Come back and see us if you're in the area again, thanks again

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I checked in on a Thursday and will check out tomorrow, Monday. Our stay was very enjoyable. The room was clean, bed comfortable, and every single staff member we encountered was extremely polite and helpful. I'm not a big breakfast fan but my husband is and he was satisfied with the free breakfast. I did, however, enjoy the coffee every morning. We didn't bring bathing suits but will next time. We visited the pool area and it appeared to be well maintained and the water temperature was perfect. Wifi was a little slow but not anything that would deter us from staying again. I also wish the bed pillows weren't so small but it seems all the hotels we have stayed in have the smaller pillows these days. Overall I would rate this a hotel to definitely book in the future. We really, really enjoyed our stay! ~Mr. & Mrs. Williams

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
dhbgmanager, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you so much for the review, always good to hear that we are making someone's stay enjoyable. Hope you are able to stay with us again soon, we look forward to it, Williamsburg is beautiful this time of year.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed here a couple of times now, and enjoyed our stay both times. This time the wifes Sister was with us, and we managed to get the two bedroomed suite. This was great, with two bathrooms, and kitchen, also a lounge. In total we had 3 tv's in there too! Would definately go back again, and in walking distance of the nice Route 66 Denny's restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed two nights and the rooms were fine but the breakfast area was way too small to accommodate the number of guests. On our second morning they were out of most everything and had to send out for provisions. The eating area should be twice the present size.

The rooms were very nice and the service staff was very attentive to our needs but the eating arrangements at the hotel left us with a bad feeling about the hotel.

Room Tip: I would inquire about the breakfast room arrangements, especially during high-occupancy periods.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for your response and review of your recent stay. Unfortunately during peak periods we do not have many options for additional seating, it just happens to be the way the building was originally constructed. We are working on some alternatives and apologize for the difficulty but we try our best. Once again thank you for your response

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed for two nights the end of August and the large picture above the bed fell on me for no reason. I had some nice scraps and bruises from it, but nothing serious since it missed my head. When I went to report it to the hotel they didn't even ask if I was ok. They were more concerned with rehanging the picture I think. I told them to leave it down till I was gone. I didn't want to take a chance of it falling on me in the night and doing real harm. I was never offered any form of compensation for my injuries not even a discount or free night. Just a thanks for letting us know. I am tired of corporations not caring about their customers. I will not stay here again. Plus it was not the cleanest of places either.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TSA40

First of all we would like to apologize for the incident that occured in your room. I assure you that our first concern without a doubt is the guest. An email was sent the same week of the incident with some information, please let us know if this was not received. We value our guest first and foremost, always have always will. Please let us know if you have any questions.