“Great sty”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We always stay here when we go to Busch garden. Clean,friendly staff, fast check in and out. Only compliant is breakfast area needs to be bigger. We had to sit in lobby to eat but breakfast staff kept coming to ask if she could get us anything. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your response. We are happy to know we are your choice when visiting Williamsburg. Yes the breakfast area can be a challenge and wish we had more space. We hope to see you again soon, thank you again for your business

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Once again we stayed at our favorite hotel in Colonial Williamsburg. We arrived a little early in the afternoon on Friday and the manager was able to get us into our room with only a few minutes wait. Our room was clean and comfortably cool with a few snacks and a welcome note waiting for us. Breakfast here is good and the attendants friendly. After a long day of moving our daughter into her dorm we found our hotel room clean and a note from housekeeping asking us to let them know if we needed anything and wishing us a relaxing stay. We always enjoy staying here as we know that we can count on a clean room, friendly staff and a satisfying breakfast. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room on the 2nd floor facing the pool is very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you, always good to hear we are making people happy and we make your visit to Williamsburg feel like home. Come back soon!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've stayed at the BW Historic Area Inn many times, and have always been pleased. Rooms are fine, breakfast is well above BW average and staff is helpful.

I was particularly impressed during my last visit, when I was installing my son as a freshman at William & Mary. While I was doing this, Tropical Storm/Isaac was heading towards my home in Tampa (possibly...) and I kept dropping by the desk and changing my departure time. The staff was unbelieveably accomodating--offering me the option of very late checkout (9 PM was mentioned) and then accomodating my early departure. I appreciated that service more than I can say!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GrandonGill

Thank you for your response and we are glad we could make your stay a little more relaxing. Come back and see us

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just returned from a weeklong business trip. I had booked through Hotwire. This was the first time I've used one of those sites where you don't know the hotel until you pay. The promise to save 40% was not even close. I think I saved $5 a night versus booking it directly. I think in the future I will always book direct.

The front desk staff were all very pleasant in all my interactions. The room was always cleaned well. The only complaint I can think of is that the area near the elevators and the elevators themselves often had water on the floor from guests using the pool. Though I attribute the mess to other guests, it'd be nice if the hotel recognized this was happening and more routinely mopped the area. The elevators also were generally musty/humid as a result.

Overall the experience was very nice. The hotel itself is situated in a quiet area but very close to highway access as well as many dining and shopping choices.

Nothing stood out as putting the experience over the top, but it was a really solid stay. The beds were comfortable, the AC/heater worked great, the shower was hot. Breakfast is included but unfortunately I had to be out the door prior to them serving, so I don't know how it was.

I've also stayed at the Country Inn & Suites. The stays were comparable but Best Western was cheaper. Country Inn did have more on site things to do, but it wouldn't make up for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your response regarding your stay with us. Our busy season is a challenge and we try our best to keep up, good to know we made your stay an enjoyable one, thank you!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked this hotel on a summer sale and it is conveniently located close to restaurants and shopping. The hotel is older, but the bathrooms have been redone and I found it clean and good for a long stay. The front desk staff are amazing and bent over backwards to recommend restaurants to myself and my family. The breakfast is really good and has a great selection for everyone including people watching their weight. Wanda, one of the breakfast hostesses, is a gem and made us feel that we were staying at someone's home rather than a hotel. Southern hospitality at its best! I would recommend this hotel for families and it does have an indoor pool to keep the kids occupied on a rainy day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words, we look forward to seeing you again in the future

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I checked in for a three night stay expecting a decent hotel. However, we found a smelly bed and could not determine why it was smelly. We examined the bed and found that it was disgusting and the actual mattress had a pee stain on it. We immediately left and asked for a refund, but could not receive one on the spot since we used a different booking site. The manager was contacting and he offered a full refund immediately.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank himynameisjosh

We apologize for the experience you had but we thank you for your response and need to know these things in order to fix them. This is not the norm for this hotel being that we are blessed with a fantastic housekeeping staff.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Even though you could tell it was an older hotel, it was remodeled, clean and didn't smell musty at all. We were very happy with the staff. Everyone was nice and we even got a phone call asking if we needed anything awhile after we checked in. Everyone was friendly and we especially liked the pool. Definitely recommend this hotel and we would stay there again if we are ever in the area in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rachel M
Alexis W, Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate guests letting us know what we are doing right. Please come and see us again