“Best Western Plus Williamsburg”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife and stayed two nights at the Best Western Plus Williamsburg, The check in went smoothly, the front desk assistant was very helpful. The room that we had was very nice,the bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. We would stay there again in the future.
S.B

Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your response, it is always good to hear we provided great customer service. Please come back and see us if you decide to return to Williamsburg. Once again thank you!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Two night stay to visit Colonial Williamsburg with our 2 grandchildren. Check-in was OK; Room size was not bad, but the carpet felt dirty & I checked the beds before unpacking.
Pool was a nice size, but the seating area was dirty - litter & overall dirt all along the outer edge of the entire pool area. The first chair I sat in was broken (a lawsuit waiting to happen) so we moved to another table. The chairs had been painted with the wrong type of paint & our arms turned green because the paint (it was dry) came off the chairs & stuck to our skin! We lucked out & got pool towels, but staff was not in any hurry to resupply when they ran out.
There was breakfast, but when we ate at 7:30, the biscuit sandwiches were already hard as rocks, yet the person in charge of the food area kept trying to get people to take them. We were told supplies had just been delivered & she was cooking food. The "fresh" batch of french toast sticks were uncooked in the middle & disgusting. Walking by the "kitchen", there were food boxes (I would say newly delivered because they were still sealed), sitting on the floor. I ate packaged oatmeal. We passed on breakfast the second day and paid to eat out, it was safer.
For the price, you can do better - stay someplace else!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! We didn't have a choice - Bluegreen Resorts booked us here, so we had to p...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WunderFulLife
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your response regarding your stay. We apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations and provide superb customer service. We take every review seriously in order to improve. We hope to see you again in the future. Once again we apologize for the inconvienances you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family & I stayed two weekends ago at this hotel because we had previously stayed at previous Best Westerns throughout the East Coast. Nice enough hotel, bathtub was a bit dirty but my real complaint was about the iPad that I left in my room that was NEVER returned. To add to my frustration, when I called to file an incident report (I am not from VA), I asked Manager A. what happens to my report? She responds: "It gets filed. Have a nice day" and hangs up. Fortunately, the police is superb. They took down all the information of the iPad and have followed up. When I first noticed the iPad not in my bag & remembered seeing it on the bed, I immediately called & spoke to Manager B. who seemed sympathetic but nonetheless didn't even bother to suggest I file a report or speak to the police. This is NOT superb customer service. The managers at Best Western obviously do NOT care about their guests...they should take tips on excellent service from their Policemen & investigators.

1  Thank Liz_G_1081
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for your response concerning your recent stay. We regret that this situation occured and we are more than happy to help resolve it. The management team as well as the entire hotel staff cares very much about customer service, we work hard to exceed every guests expectations on a daily basis. The room was checked for the lost item right away but unfortunately was not found. We recover numerous items left behind daily, this includes small items as well as expensive items. We treat every item with the same urgency and attention.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This trip was a quick get away just for something to do. Staff is great, helpful and friendly. Rooms are clean and of adequate size. However the housekeeper took the time to write a note saying that she was off the day we checked out, so we could leave a tip, but did not replace the towels, etc in the bathroom. Although the front desk responded quickly and willingly, it was still something that should be addressed in a staff meeting. Overall I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your response and review of your recent stay at the Best Western Williamsburg. We hope to see you again soon.
Bill Saccardi

Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel was "very good". My room was clean and nice. Breakfast was a little chaotic but if you went at the right time it was ok. The fitness center and pool were both nice. I had them both to myself when I used them. The staff was nice and friendly. I will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Good Morning,

I would first like to say " Thank You" for choosing the Best Western as your choice of hotel, we really do appreciate it. I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay here. For it being a very busy summer we love to hear that we a pleasing our guest while they are visting. If and when you do decide to come back to the Williamsburg, Va area please feel free to give me a call at 757-220-0880, and I will personally assit you with your reservation. Have a great day!!

Alexis Williams
Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus Historic Area

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My family (children age 15 & 11) recently stayed 5 nights. We got a very good deal as they give a significant government employee discount. Best Westerns also give 10% back towards school tuition. The hotel room was extremely small, with a very small bathroom, that was not divided to allow for more than one person to get ready. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so all the steam from the showers had no where to go, but into the room. There was very little space to put our luggage, and the room felt cluttered. Thankfully, the room seemed clean. Staff appeared very young, and not particularly friendly. The breakfast was inedible one day. Otherwise it was adequate, but the room is small, and hard to find a place to sit. There are many restaurants nearby, that serve cheap good breakfasts. Do not pick this hotel because of the "free breakfast". The microwave and fridge were very small. Bed was only ok, and the pillows were lumpy. So, overall, it was ok, a clean place to sleep, for a decent price. Pool area was adequate, also small and can get crowded with rowdy kids. The towels were small and not soft, at both the pool area and bathroom. It is in a good location to all attractions.

Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for your response to your recent stay at the Best Western Williamsburg. We would like to express our regret that the room seemed small as well as the pool area. We hope to see you again if you choose to return to Williamsburg. Once again thank you for your response

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just took one of our granddaughters for a 3 day stay in Williamsburg/Jamestown Va. We have stayed in many Best Westerns over the past couple years. This has become a sport similar to Russian Roulette. One never exactly knows what to expect. Before I report the negatives, let me say that the supervisor did "comp" our second night and reduced the first night charges by $20. The hotel and grounds were lovely upon arrival. We checked in with no trouble at all. Staff was welcoming. Our room was very warm even though the thermostat had been set on 60. It was very warm outside, probably 90+. My 9 yr. old granddaughter and I quickly put on our bathing suits as we were very hot from touring Jamestown in the heat. We went to the pool and jumped right in. When I got out and walked the perimeter to find a chair I noticed that there were a couple of used bandaids on the surround. There was also a glob of hair as big as a quarter, gum sitting by the edge of sliding doors, scraps of paper, towel shreds (thin but usable towels) dust and grit around edges of room as if construction was going on. I went to the desk and asked if anyone was servicing the pool area. Jay said that he would check right on it. We left the pool area to meet friends. When we returned at 10 p.m. our room was still hot, apparently only the fan was working but not the compressor.I did report it again in the morning. At 9 the next morning we went to the buffet breakfast. It was perfectly adequate except for the thinness of the paper plates so we had to use 2. It was very crowded as the hotel was fully booked. The two of us sat in a little corner and it was fine. At 9:25 a.m. the hotel had run out of breakfast: french toast sticks, sausages, milk - which is supposed to run until 10. People were upset and had to make other accommodations. I spoke to some of the people that afternoon and no compensation had been offered. We came back from a day of touring and the 9 yr. old wished to swim. I said that first we needed to see how clean it was. Walking through the pool area, the bandaids were gone but nothing else had been cleaned up: grit, small stones, threads, bubblegum. I went to the desk. The Manager was there. Neglected to write down his name but he was very nice. I asked if anyone was taking care of the pool. He said it had been cleaned. I asked about the surrounding area. He gave me a strange look but said yes, it had been cleaned. I asked if he would like to accompany me to the pool. I showed him what was there and said that it had been there yesterday, too. He said he would look into it. That night we came back very late - 11 p.m. We had to park in the back as all the spaces were full. There was adequate lighting though. The 9 yr. old wanted to go in through the back door - near the dumpsters, etc. I said that they would be locked but perhaps we could use our room keys to scan it. The back security doors were UNLOCKED. When we opened the doors and walked in, the people gathered right there at the elevators were horrified. A few of us walked directly to the front desk. A young fellow was there and I reported the security glitch. He said that, no, the doors were NOT unlocked. A few of us said that yes they were and he should walk around outside and test them. We would meet him at the door. He said that someone was supposed to lock them. The next morning breakfast was more of the same although I do think there was enough food if the people working could get through the crush of people standing in line to refill the serving trays. Seating capacity for the breakfast buffet is 38 in a walled-in area. No conference or meeting rooms were opened up and made available. People were trying to eat in the lobby on the one sofa, standing in the foyer. I don't know how many people were staying in the hotel but it was many more than 38. The same people who had gathered Monday morning were there at the same time Tuesday morning. Bottom line: Management needs to take a refresher course. I understand the the person in charge of breakfast had been fired the day before. Hmmm. There IS a nice IHOP just across the road.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank genjoe
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Thank you for your response to your recent stay with us. We apologize that we were not able to make your stay satisying in all areas. This time of year we are very busy and try our best to meet everyone's expectations. Breakfast can be a challenge, we do not have any additional function space/meeting rooms to seat anyone. We will address the issues you have mentioned and do our best to fix them.