“Great Location . . . nothing special?”

Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We (my two adults daughters and myself) stayed for 5 nights at this hotel while visiting Busch Gardens Christmas Town. The location was great . . . close to shopping, restaurants, colonial events and Busch Gardens. In other words it was a short drive anywhere we wanted to go. The king sized bed was very comortable. However, my daughter was most disappointed with the pull-out sofa bed. The mattress was thin and lumpy. She ended up placing several blankets underneath her to compensate. The continental breakfast was nothing special. The first morning (the only time we used this ammenity) the waffle maker was broken and we noted that there was no fresh fruit, yogurt or a variety of breads. Upon getting coffee on another morning I noted that the waffle maker was gone and french toast, eggs and sausages were in its place. Maybe they got complaints?? The staff were friendly. The pool looked inviting although we did not use it. We were really looking for a little bit more from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CraftyMom58
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Good Morning Valued Guest,

Thank you for your response, as we love to here feedback from our guest to know what we can improve on. I am very happy to know that the staff was very friendly, and I will let them know about the compliment they received. I also would like to apologize on behalf of the pullout sofa not being to your liking as well as the breakfast that you had encountered during your stay. Every Best Western had to change their breakfast as of the last weekend of December, so that is why we had a new breakfast the next day that you came down on December 31, 2011. If you have any question or concerns about a future or present stay do not hesistate to call me at 757-220-0880. Have a nice day.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The service was excellent, efficient and friendly. We enjoyed the amenities like the indoor heated pool and spa pool. The location was excellent for our needs-- we were at both Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. It was also convenient to many excellent restaurants. The only complaint is the poor quality of the breakfast. The coffee was so bad by the last day we skipped the free breakfast and went down the street to the bagel place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DCtravels11
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2012

Good Morning!

I would first like to say "Thank You" for choosing the Best Western Plus Historic Area as a choice here in Williamsburg, Va. I know that there are many hotelsto choose from in the area, and we are happy to know that you put trust in us to make your experience worth while. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed the indoor pool as well as the hot tub. I do want to apologize about the breakfast not being to your liking. Unfortunately, we just changed our breakfast so everything including the type of coffee has changed. I would like to invite you back at the Best Western Plus Historic Area to try our breakfast out again, and provide us with some feedback. Please do not hesitate to give me a call at (757)220-0880 if you think about visiting Williamsburg, Va again. Have a nice day!!

Reviewed January 4, 2012

I was really impressed with the cleanliness and service of this hotel considering the reasonable price. The free breakfast was more than continental with french toast and eggs. The staff was very friendly and location was perfect. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anna R
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Good Morning!

I first would like to say "Thank You" for choosing the Best Western Plus Historic Area on your trip to Williamsburg, Va we really appreciate it. I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay here, as well as our breakfast. We just changed our breakfast, so I was very happy to know that you enjoyed it. We strive to make sure that our guest are 100% statisfied when they stay here. Whenever you decide to come back to Williamsburg, Va do not hesitate to call me at (757)220-0880. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Reviewed January 1, 2012

My wife and I spent four nights here--the price was very good with a great discount for booking three or more nights. The best thing about the motel is the location--it's convenient to both Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. The rooms were also very clean--just in need of a remodel. When we arrived at 11:10 pm (I had called to let them know we were arriving late), the main doors were locked. A sign gave me a number to call to gain entry for check-in. After a short wait, the clerk opened the door and got us signed in, gave us directions, etc. I later found that the side entrances of the motel which are supposed to be accessible only with room keys could be entered by anyone anytime--yet the main entrance gets locked! During my check-in, the clerk refused to allow other guests to use the main entrance as an exit (she directed them to the side doors. I know this is a safe area, but if you're going to create a pretense of security, at least be consistent! Throughout my stay we never were provided enough towels and wash cloths, although we asked daily. I was never able to connect to the wireless internet--despite the valiant attempt by their IT specialist to assist me (I had no problem at my sister's motel across the street). The hot water was SOOO hot that it almost burnt me--not something I personally find to be a bad thing. Finally, the breakfast bar consisted of cereal and "make-your-own" waffles. A little more selection would have been appreciated. This is not a bad motel. The price was excellent--if they had delivered what was advertised, it would be a terrific bargain. In this case, too many problematic issues created a stay I don't want to repeat. I will look for another motel when I return to the area.

Room Tip: Check for their discount packages for multiple-night stays.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 20runner
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Good Morning,

I would like to apologize for the hotel not being to your liking. As our goal is to insure that our guest are 100% satisfied. We try to maintain 100% saftey for our guest which is why the front door is locked at 11, and both side doors are needed entry with a key. I would also like to apolgize for not having the proper amount of supplies in your room. I have spoken to the housekeeping department to make sure that the issue has been taken care of. We also have just changed our breakfast as of January 1, 2012 so we would like to invite you back for one more try if you would like. If you decide to try again, feel free to call me at 757-220-0080. I would like to thank you for the information you have giving us. So that way we can improve our hotel to meet the standards of our future guest.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Good, convenient hotel. Clean and really reasonable price. Close to Visitor's Center. Only room problem - water took a long time to get hot (4 to 5 minutes of full out running - really - no kidding). But, once it got hot it was very hot. Breakfast OK, not great - but who expects a free breakfast to be great? Good waffles, coffee, fruit, cereal, toast. Danish was a little Sam's Clubbish. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff M
Alexis W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Historic Area Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2011

Good Morning,

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus Historic Area in Williamsburg, Va. We appreciate you taking the time to post comments about your stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for the issues that you encountered here during your stay. I have spoken to the proper department to make sure that the issues have been resolved. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Front Office Manger

Reviewed December 13, 2011

this was a nice hotel plus, the staff was friendly and helpful, plus it has a massive indoor pool, plus it is in the best location. we were here with friends and the staff made our time together the best. we will return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lynn w

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We strive as a hotel to provide all of our guests with a great place to stay. Thank you for allowing us to accommodate you.

We appreciate your time. We hope that you will stay with us again, on future visits to the area.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

had a great stay, everyone was nice the room was clean. the breakfast was a little overcrowded but ok. heated pool when it was cool outside was awesome!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank alise w

Hello!

I first want to take the time out to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We reallyd do appreciate all of your comments as it helps us strive to become an even better hotel! I am glad to know that you enjoed your stay as well as the hot tub too. Thank you for allowing us to accommodate you.