“Awful Experience with Restaurant Management”

Carrot Tree Kitchens
Ranked #3 of 25 Dessert in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Willilamsburg's favorite scratch bakery and restaurant for 25 years! Now located at 135 Colony Square by the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Serving breakfast and lunch daily 8am-4pm, our bakery counter is open until 6pm Monday-Saturday.
Richmond, Virginia
“Awful Experience with Restaurant Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

During our recent trip to Williamsburg I was extremely excited about visiting this restaurant. I’m sad to say that it did nothing but DISSAPOINT. My feelings had little to do with the food or service but the attitude the manager on duty took when things went wrong. She could be heard in the back making fun of our problems and when confronted lying in an attempt to cover the situation up. I can excuse mistakes, they happen, I cannot excuse dishonesty and disrespect.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank Jessica J
David G, General Manager at Carrot Tree Kitchens, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
I am very sorry to hear about your experience with us. None of what you have described meets Carrot Tree’s standards for customer service. The management staff behaved poorly in every aspect of your visit and we take ownership of their inappropriate responses. Immediately following your visit, we reached out to Carol Puckett with the Virginia Department of Health to report the incident and to review our procedures for cleaning and sanitizing equipment. Subsequent to that, a mandatory staff meeting was held to discuss your experience and to review our policies and procedures. Following this meeting, staff members have been individually counseled regarding your experience.
Our concern is, and remains, for your well-being. We will continue to reach out to you at the number you provided at the close of your visit.
We would also encourage you to share any additional feedback or insights into your experience with us personally by phone at (757) 229-0957, or we can be reached by email at carrottree@msn.com.

Richmond, Virginia
“Poorly Managed Restaurant- Carrot Tree”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I’m all for supporting our small business organizations, but when a business owner allows poor management to run their operation the negative effects are substantial. If you are looking for a restaurant that has poor quality in management, your place to go is The Carrot Tree in Williamsburg, Virginia. When the management staff does not account for their actions, or does not find the value in customer service there is a cost of concern on how the business is operating! A suggestion to the owner- don’t wait until after the holidays to reevaluate your management staff. If you are looking for loyal customers to continue dining at your restaurant a “management staff makeover” is GREATLY NEEDED!! As a previous loyal customer, I will not be returning due to the poor quality in service received by management.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Crystal W
“Shocked and disappointed!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was our second girl’s trip to Williamsburg and we were going to make Carrot Tree a tradition but that changed very quickly. Within seconds of receiving our drinks we quickly realized there was bleach in the water. Accidents happen but proper precautions and accountability should be taken. We decided to stay thanks to our very sweet waitress; she quickly tried to bring fresh water and something to sooth the throat of my friend. Several times a staff member in the back made very rude and unacceptable comments about the situation. These comments were loud enough for us to hear. After the last comment "Quit apologizing to them" we stood up and immediately asked to speak with the Manager and were ready to leave. We asked about the water and one of the staff even stated she tasted the water and it did have bleach in it. At that time they were then apologetic as if at first they didn’t believe us. They tried to make us stay but after asking the name of the person who made the rude comments we were told by the "acting manager" that the comments came from her. In disbelief that the comments came from a manager we were defiantly ready to go.
Per my friend who spoke with the owner of Carrot Tree after her visit to the ENT, the owner stated that she would implement new policies and procedures after the holidays. Shouldn’t this happen immediately??? Still in shock and disbelief!!!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Bonnie P
“Served me bleach water!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I cannot rate the value or food on this visit because, when I ordered my beverage the waitress (who was very nice), brought my tap water, I took the initial gulp through the straw and swallowed. I instantly gagged because I had been served BLEACH WATER! I immediately brought this to the waitresses attention, who was shocked and apologetic. By this point my throat was burning so bad, I debated going to the emergency room immediately. A new round of water was requested, but after deliberating for a few minutes, we decided to get fountain drinks instead. When the waitress informed the staff member, who who was replenishing our drinks, that we no longer wanted the waters, she replied, "are you kidding? I just finished making them." Later we found out that remark came from the "acting manager." The waitress continued to apologize to us and as she walked out of the room, the "manager" told her to "stop apologizing! " By this point, my party and I are livid, never did the "manager" come over to investigate the situation or see how I was.

It saddens me that The Carrot Tree will no longer be a tradition while visiting Williamsburg! I felt as if what happened was a huge burden on their part. The situation wasn't handled properly.

If you want poor customer service, belligerent management and a burning throat from ingesting bleach water then the Carrot Tree is the perfect establishment to visit. I will NEVER return!

3 Thank edukate83
We are all truly devastated and embarrassed by your experience at our Williamsburg location.

Immediately following your experience, the owner held a mandatory front of house meeting to discuss the critical issues raised in your complaint. All aspects of your feedback were addressed with all staff. As mentioned during our phone conversation that followed, the supervisor who handled your party has been disciplined for her behavior. Our primary concern is, and remains, for your well-being. We will continue to reach out to you at the phone number provided at the close of your visit.

We would also encourage you to share any additional feedback or insights into your experience with us personally. The main line for our Bakery is (757) 229-0957, our email is carrottree@msn.com.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“best ham biscuits in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a nice little cafe near Jamestown. If you are looking for lighter fare, portions that aren't the size of a small country... then this is the place for you.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank TheVirginiaRambler
David G, General Manager at Carrot Tree Kitchens, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for the compliment- Hope to see you soon!