“Read me first. Things you must know.”

Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg Admission
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover Colonial Williamsburg and become a citizen of the Revolutionary City. Engage with the local community and experience firsthand the daily struggles of wartime. Explore our art museums, unleash your kids' inner colonists, tee off a game of golf, or relax and unwind at the Spa. Stay at one of the official Colonial Williamsburg hotels, with a variety of opportunities to shop and dine, and you'll never want to leave.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Read me first. Things you must know.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Our research has told us about Colonial Williamsburg (CW) so we duly set off one day to the CW visitors centre, having first briefly driven around CW itself. Free parking, visitors centre and then as part of your ticket, free transportation into the heart of CW. CW is like a town within a town - a large area of old houses/buildings preserved as a kind of urban theme park.

The thing is, as we were in the queue waiting to pay, we got to listen to several repeats of a recorded message explaining what the various tickets included. It was at this point that I just had a suspicion I was about to make a big and expensive mistake. So, to my wife's annoyance we put the ticket purchase on hold, got back into the car and drove to downtown CW and parked in one of the free short stay car parks.

And I was right. There are no gates, boundaries, turnstiles etc to CW and you can come and go as you please. You can visit the shops and I think also eat in the restaurants. I'm not sure you can interact with 'cast members' and certainly cannot take any of the guided tours without displaying your badge but we enough get a feel of the place and to make us realise that we had saved ourselves a lot of money.

If you like your history and want to do the place in minute detail then fine, but with cheap parking available once you're free time has expired, I would really recommend checking out CW before you buy. We were done by lunchtime and felt we had seen enough.

Visited August 2012

• Polish first
Durham, North Carolina, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First time is the charm...”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I surprised my husband with a trip to CW for his birthday and it was my first time there. Though the weather was not great for our first day, it improved during the second and third. I was so sad to leave!

1 Thank mawonearth
Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Authentic and historic – beautiful”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Williamsburg is beautiful in at Christmas. The winter light is lovely and there are picturesque scenes and natural Christmas decorations in every direction, bringing history to life for us and our 13 year olds. It might be the best time of year in Williamsburg. Williamsburg is like a museum and restoration in action. Mesmerizing for the kids and romantic in the early evening.
The Christmas tour: The guides are amazing—well versed in history and good actors with Christmas enactments in the buildings from different historic periods.
Historic Taverns: Our teens really enjoyed eating in the historic taverns. We had dinner at the King’s Arm Tavern followed by the Ghost tour. The Tavern ghost tour is true ghostly stories that are related to the history of Williamsburg. It is easy to imagine the ghosts at night in these old buildings.
It was chilly, but that was part of the fun. We enjoyed getting cold, and then stepping inside a warm tavern for hot buttered rum or hot cider. After Christmas, there are people around to give a lively, but not crowded feeling. The tours and Taverns are full during the Christmas season, and the tours sell out. We made ours when we picked up our tickets although we could have done this from home. You do not need tickets to walk around, but for almost anything indoors. It is very much part of the experience, as the guides is very knowledgeable and entertaining.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Julia C
Palatka, FL
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Colonial Snowfall”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

As we prepared to travel to Williamsburg, the weather reports were including snow! Just as predicted, the dusting began and coated the trees, homes, streets and sidewalks with about 3 inches.... the results were magical! The Colonies in the dead of winter in 1775! Postcard perfect.
Very few folks were out, so I had the place to myself. It was easy to imagine that at any moment Revolution would break out. Everything about Colonial Williamsburg is a "must do"...the taverns, the Colonials, the museums, the houses, the church, the graveyard, the Palace, the Capitol, the Court House. the snow just adds the "WOW" factor.....

williamsburg virginia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Abby Rockfeller Folk Art Museum”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

An excellent museum with a large collection. Large standing collection of quilts, painting, colonial furniture and dishes. Revolving exhibits for painting, clocks, geographic specific items. Well organized and immaculate. Good place for lunch or a short break with reasonable light food service. Not to be overlooked.