“Great Christmas Trip”

Colonial Williamsburg Admission
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover Colonial Williamsburg and become a citizen of the Revolutionary City. Engage with the local community and experience firsthand the daily struggles of wartime. Explore our art museums, unleash your kids' inner colonists, tee off a game of golf, or relax and unwind at the Spa. Stay at one of the official Colonial Williamsburg hotels, with a variety of opportunities to shop and dine, and you'll never want to leave.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Chillicothe, Ohio
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great Christmas Trip”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

A must see for all history buffs. The door decorations are beautiful and done as they colonial residents would have. Be sure to stop in and see Max, the weaver, as he is a local and has a wealth of information on the colonial city.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Wonderful way to experience living history”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Enjoyed my trip to Colonial Williamsburg. Interacting with characters really brings history alive. If you are in Virginia, don't miss the chance the visit. I would also recommend checking out the cyber Monday deals after Thanksgiving. Annual passes were 2 for 1 making a year cheaper than a multi-day ticket!

1 Thank Sharkhunter2010
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Ye Olde Baite And Switche”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

C'mon! My whole life I grew up hearing about "authentic" Colonial Williamsburg from my relatives..."Oh Colonial Williamsburg, it's living history, it's where are forefathers supped and thought big thoughts of freedom, it's where every small "s" once looked like an "f'.....yadayadayadayada." So there I am a month ago, in my 40s now and vifiting thif American Hiftorical Wonder for the firft time, fitting in what I believe to be an authentic tavern, drinking my $6.00 tiny mug of average draft, looking around and mufing about the fact that at least George Wafhington used to conduct hif bufineff affairf in thif very place. And the more I drank, the more it funk in....George Wafhington could have actually fat right here in my very feat!!!!

Then it hits us.....we overhear a couple sitting close by talking about how real everything looks. What? I thought all the buildings were real, meaning authentic...you know...the "actual" buildings...rehabbed of course, but mostly original nonetheless. But no, come to find out after asking our waitress, that in fact this tavern, along with about 90% of the place is "based" on what somebody "thought" the real building looked like and practically the whole place, inlcuding the marquis buildings like the Capitol and governor's mansion and the jail, have all been entirely RECREATED!! Talk about a bunch a bullfhit! And we paid 40 bucks a piece to walk around and wear ourselves weary in what a amounts to an amusement park with no amusements! Turns out "colonial" Williamsburg's about a few years older than my father, but God bless him, he's no relic either, and if you want to see the house he lives in, built in 1938, it's FREE!

So it's been a month and I'm still recovering, trying to equate 40 years of what I thought this place was with what it really is, which is, in plain words, a big scam, IMHO. Do yourselves a favor...DON'T PAY THE $40. You can walk around for free and marvel at the historic fakeness from the outside. It is a rather impressive forgery.

Good DAY, sir!!!

Visited October 2012
25 Thank ReliableWoody
Winston Salem, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Williamsburg Christmas”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We so enjoyed our trip to Williamsburg during December while it was decorated for Christmas. There were so many free music and dance and other things to see and hear. Also the decorations on the houses were so special. We loved walking in the town at night with candles in all the windows. The tavern lighting with the fife and drum core was very memorable.

New York City, New York
278 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 420 helpful votes
“Even if you only have an hour...its a good stop”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I did not come to Williamsburg as a tourist, so had not researched Colonial Williamsburg. I was pleasantly surprised that all it took was a stroll through the town, see some of the homes and buildings to be able to imbibe some of the flavor. I know I need to return, take a tour, learn the history. But not having lots of time should not slow you down, if its all the time you have.