“Colonial Williamsburg CLOSED for business!”

Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg Admission
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover Colonial Williamsburg and become a citizen of the Revolutionary City. Engage with the local community and experience firsthand the daily struggles of wartime. Explore our art museums, unleash your kids' inner colonists, tee off a game of golf, or relax and unwind at the Spa. Stay at one of the official Colonial Williamsburg hotels, with a variety of opportunities to shop and dine, and you'll never want to leave.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Jackson, Mississippi
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Colonial Williamsburg CLOSED for business!”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Why open the ticket counters and start the tour buses at 9AM when nothing is open in the town until 10??? My wife and I had very limited time and we could enjoy the colonial town because either the attractions were closed til 10 or they were just closed for the day. I actually heard an employee tell another costumed employee that the man who ran the post office called in sick and to tell visitor's that he "was out of town on business."

The costumed employees do not stay in character and the items for sale at the visitor's center and on the street are SO expensive that a normal tourist could NOT afford them!

I will not return; we should have gone to Busch Gardens!

Visited July 2012

• Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“So much to do, So little time.....”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I loved the rich history, tours, and period performances found in Colonial Williamsburg. My children, 8 and 9 at the time, were so excited about how history came to life for them. All of the staff remains in complete colonial character at all times, while answering questions and teaching tourists what it was really like to live during that era for all races and backgrounds. We thought that we could take in everything during a 2-day weekend trip. However, Colonial Williamsburg offers so much and is so fascinating that 2 days is not enough. We definitely plan on returning to this wonderfully historic site. It's a place that you don't want to leave and a place where you never get tired of learning about America's history.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Tara M
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“I Love This Place!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My father used to take us to the 'burg when we were kids. I loved it so much, after college I moved there and got a job with the foundation. Since we've moved out west, we try to get back there every few years. I will never tire of this wonderful old town. I learn new things every trip. Over the years, Colonial Williamsburg has become more interactive. On this year's trip, our kids were able to participate in RevQuest, which took them on a scavenger hunt all over the town. It was so fun, and we learned a lot about a real historic figure who was a spy for the colonists. We also got to help make bricks, have a conversation with Patrick Henry, and participate in a military trial! We heard some wonderful colonial music, had coffee with 'Mathew' who is an absolute hoot, learned to dance, and got lost once again in the maze. There is so much to do there. And the actors truly bring this old town to life. I love this place.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank FormerBuckeye
Florida
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Disappointing.. not what it used to be”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I came here over 15 years ago with my husband prior to having kids. Now that my kids learned about American History and Colonial times, we drove up from Florida primarily to see Colonial Williamsburg. What a disappointment! About 40-50% of the homes on the main road are now private residences and can not be viewed. I saw many large group in front of small building waiting to take the tour. We didn't even waste our time or money going into the area. It is not what I remembered of my prior visit. I would recommend some of the other local sites in the area to visit.

Visited June 2012
shrewsbury, MA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Colonial Williamsburg is a wonderful step back into history!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our children (age 10 and age 12) found Colonial Williamsburg to be the high-light of our trip. They loved visiting the shops and conversing with the people. They learned so much. It is a "must-see" for families! Despite the heat (108 degrees), we were able to enjoy ourselves and have a lot of fun.

Visited June 2012