“Good food, waitress a bit too sassy”

Sandpiper Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Established in 1982, the Sandpiper Restaurant's success is born of loyal customers, dedicated staff, and the finest quality of steaks and seafood with our own homemade flair. We strive to serve fine spirits and wholesome meals within a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We enjoyed our recent dinner at the Sandpiper. We were visiting family from out of town and they took us for dinner. We tried first on a Wednesday night and there was a 45 minute wait, so we came back to try the next night. Although the waiting for a table area was very busy, the bartender did a great job keeping up and completing drink orders from the restaurant, all with a smile on her face which was great. First thing you see when you walk in. Decor is a little dated and it's particularly loud in the restaurant. I understand everyone wants the "porch" area which has windows but just looks out into the parking lot, so we just ate in the dining room. Our waitress for some reason seemed to take a special interest in making sassy comments to me, which was really not appreciated. She did continue to check on our orders and kept checking on us even though she was very busy. Waitress was knowledgeable about the menu, including the specials. Their selection of wines and microbeers, were impressive but not stuffy or overwhelming. The liver was done very well, and I don't particularly like liver. There was a lamb special that night and it was such a mild tasting lamb, you might not know it was lamb if you tried it - very tender and prepared very nicely. Steak was also good. I ordered the mussels and pasta which was a special that night. Mussels done perfectly, but I didn't care for the sauce - advertised as a white wine and garlic sauce, there was simply something in it that I didn't care for, and it wasn't the wine or garlic. Pasta was also cooked a little too long. As we were leaving, I thanked our waitress for the wonderful food and great service and said "we had a lovely time". She picked up the empty wine bottle we had had with our dinner and smiled and said, "I'm sure YOU did have a good time". Hmmm.... I simple thank you come again would have been okay too. That's the only comment she made that I remember, but we'd be back for the food. I believe they take reservations and as busy as they were on a Wednesday and there was a wait when we went back Thursday, so definitely call ahead if you can.

1  Thank Katherine H

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Sandpiper is our "go to" place for special occasions. Although it is a little pricey, the food and service are always excellent. I would rather pay a little more and know that we will get a great meal.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

The staff is friendly and the food is always amazing. Could use some updating as far as decor but the food and service make up for it.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We go here more often than anywhere else. They have a decent wine list, and the fish is usually cooked properly. The steaks are good, as is prime rib. The people are very friendly, and they have private dining rooms for special occasions.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We've been going to this restaurant for over 30 years. (I believe it opened in the early 80s). Their seafood is prepared well, and prepared consistently. You won't get many surprises at the Sandpiper. This restaurant prepares good food, but not 5 star food. It's challenge in my opinion is measuring up to its increased prices. They need to be careful not to out price their quality. You can spend a lot for a magnificent restaurant and that's okay, but when you spend a lot for an above average but not great restaurant, you could drive some people off. So far, I'm okay with the combination of price and quality, but I do think they are pushing the envelop.

1  Thank Norman S