“Interesting”

Sandpiper Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Established in 1982, the Sandpiper Restaurant's success is born of loyal customers, dedicated staff, and the finest quality of steaks and seafood with our own homemade flair. We strive to serve fine spirits and wholesome meals within a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Small place, diner-like ambiance. Service great, food average. A little pricey for a place with no atmosphere and "kitchen tables and chairs".

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We try to visit the Sandpiper once a week and follow them on Facebook. We like the relaxed Northern Neck feel and the fact all the long time servers love their job. I highly recommend dining at the Sandpiper and try the Beer Battered Shrimp. I might add their drinks are killer!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Tides Inn in Irvington, VA last week and tried out the Sandpiper based ion the tripadvisor reviews and it was a home run. The Sandpiper is a comfortable relatively small and very comfortable restaurant; nothing fancy, but certainly more than what you would normally find in a small relaxing Chesapeake Bay town like Irvington or White Stone. The waiting time for the meals was about right, the service was very good and our meals were very tasty and well prepared. You could tell that many locals go there by their familiarity with the staff, which is a good sign. The Sandpiper would do well in many larger markets, and it was nice to find this small jewel as part of our visit to Virginia's Northern Neck.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

First visit, recommended by friends. Great teamwork among staff providing very efficient service. Excellent seafood, cooked just right. My wife had he crab filled shrimp and I had the shrimp/crab combo, both delicious and plentiful. I always judge the cleanliness of a restaurant relative to the wine glasses. These were impeccably clean!

1  Thank William F
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have visited the area for the last three years. Sandpipers' kept being recommended. I ordered the batter dipped oyster. The oysters were not cooked through. Runny and lukewarm. Not very appetizing. My husband ordered the 15 oz steak special. The steak could not have been any more than 9 oz at best. The cut was not a very good one. None of the sides had much flare either. The crusted asparagus was pretty tasty. Our bill came to $61. We don't mind paying a fair amount for a well done meal. This was not it. We will not go there again nor recommend it.
The service however was quite good.

sandpiper1982, Owner at Sandpiper Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Pam H,
Thank you for your feedback after dining at the Sandpiper. I am so sorry you did not have an enjoyable experience.
Our fresh, fried, local oysters are one of our signature dishes. We prepare them to order, they are intended to be fried crisp and usually they are a huge hit. Our Ribeyes are hand-cut in house, with a scale readily available to weigh to 15 oz. We strive to serve you top quality meats and seafood.
As the owner, I try to speak to all of my customers through out the evening. I am so sorry we missed each other, I take criticism seriously and I would have preferred the opportunity to make it right for you and your husband prior to your exit. I would hope you directed your concerns to your server.
We would appreciate the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you're in town. Please contact me or my manager, Angela.
Thank you.