“Simple yet elegant fare” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Willaby's Cafe

Willaby's Cafe
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Simple yet elegant fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Willaby's is always stylin'....because they are aware it IS all about the place, the menu, the service, and the food. I have had simply awesome meals here over the years, and almost never can leave room for dessert, which is a pity. The desserts are worth a visit by themselves. The menu is small, but it's because they are dedicated to making every single dish sing....once you start in on one, you'll know what I am talking about! To me this is worth even a fairly long drive from another location....in other words, I'm not sure they have any competition in their league. It's just that good!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank JTTRBUG

Lakeland, Florida
“Improved service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is my second visit at this location. I miss the old building, but this one has such a terrific view!!

The first visit after they reopened was disappointing (this was maybe two years ago), but this visit hit the mark. Service has improved greatly, as has the food. They even serve alcohol now.

I had a simple ham, cheese and bacon sandwich. It was prepared perfectly. The potato chips on the side were fine, but potato chips are disappointing as a side unless they're freshly made. I go to restaurants to be impressed with what they do, not what they dump out of a bag. Their waffle fries are good, but didn't come with my sandwich.

Service was satisfactory - not fast but not slow. It was only about half-full when we ordered. Parking was kind of chaotic since someone parked wrong and it threw the whole pattern off, but I didn't downgrade the rating for that. Just something to be aware of when pulling into their lot.

Prices are average for the area, meaning this is a good value! Food is fresh, hot, filling, and relatively inexpensive. If they keep up the service, this place could once again be a destination restaurant.

A note about their beer menu. I'm not a big beer drinker, but drank quite a few on this trip to Virginia. I had the Old Rasputin Stout here. It's a very nice stout! And only $6 for a 12 ounce bottle. The beer menu seemed well constructed with some interesting offerings. I tried the Washington Porter elsewhere and liked it as well. I didn't look at the wine menu, which is my usual drink of choice.

When I come back through again I'll likely stop here for lunch or dinner.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Daniel34373
“I liked it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a burger and onion rings. Everything tasted good and came out at the right temperature . I would definitely go there again!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Heathsville, VA
“Rappahannock Riches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Today, my husband and I decided to try the Willaby's Cafe in White Stone, VA. We had passed it by numerous times always saying that we needed to give it a try. Well, we decided that today was the day and stopped for lunch... we were not disappointed. First of all the restaurant sits right on the Rappahannock River with expansive views....great start. Inside, it is very comfortable with a wall of windows overlooking the river. Angela, our waitress, greeted us with menus and the new listings of micro-brews they recently started serving. I wanted seafood, hubby wanted something that they specialized in. Angela suggested the oyster stew for me saying it was wonderful.....it was beyond wonderful. It was some of the best oyster stew I have ever had and I have sampled some up and down the eastern seaboard. My husband ordered the southwestern soup and a club sandwich due to Angela's detailed description of it. His southwestern soup was full of flavor (of course I had to try some) and then we shared the club sandwich.....plenty for 2. It was piled high with ham, turkey, bacon & cheeses. We could barely finish it. When we were done, we were tempted by the homemade pecan pie at the table next to us , which 3 out 4 had ordered, and were oohing and aahing over, but we just couldn't fit another bite in our mouths (or stomachs). Want to go back and try the fried fish platter - it looked awesome, or maybe the local fried oysters and definitely get some more oyster stew. Great experience for lunch. Thanks Angela, you really made us feel welcome and gave us great advice on what to order according to our tastes. You are a gem.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank DeniseandRuss83
Wicomico Church, VA
“disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

The meal was very greasy, especially the snow peas that should have just been steamed. Instead, they were covered in grease. Wait staff was nice and they had live music.

Visited January 2013