New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 220 helpful votes
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stop by after going to Sunset Hills Vineyards. This was a disappointment. Very small building. Bar area can only handle about 6 people and there are tabls for maybe another 20 people. Little deck that needs a lot of TLC. Nice view though! And the lady behind the bar (think the owner) was very knowlegeable for those doing the tasting. Think it is family owned since the lady doing the pouring talked about using her grandfather's recipes. Only food option I saw was they were offering Onion Soup. Listening to the lady behind the bar I think they recently purchased the property and have plans for improvements. We had a glass of the Viognier and Pinot Grigio. They were ok. They do have a bonfire area out near the vines that might be nice. If in the area might try them again but with several other nice wineries in the area they need to step up their game.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank kes1639

Hamilton, Virginia
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Hoping for improvement with new ownership”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Wine is pretty bad. The chocolate/Cheese/Wine Pairing they had this past weekend was nice ($12/pp). It hid how bad the wine was & we actually each bought 1 bottle. One I poured down the sink (Cab Franc) - it might have tasted good on a salad but not in my glass. The Classic White had an almost refreshing mineral quality about it in the tasting room, but after opening it at home -I would refer to it as a headache in a bottle. It is crazy sweet with a ton of residual sugar (even left crystal sugar chunks on the bottom of my glass). The music was good, the cheese was good, the chocolate was very good - the wine was not. Hopefully it will improve as the new ownership ages.

Visited February 2013
Purcellville, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Work in progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I visit a lot of wineries. My wife and I try to get around to wineries as much as our schedule permits so as we were on our way home from a quick trip to town we decided to try LVV again.
First, the wine. It is becoming difficult for Virginia wineries to stand out amongst one another. Unfortunately LVV has not managed to find its way out of the pack. Their whites were probably the highlight of the tasting as the style of each had been tweaked just enough to make them memorable. Normally I am a red drinker so maybe that says a lot about their whites or a little about their reds.
Secondly, the atmosphere. Spartan. The area is set up like a soup kitchen. Dull tile floors that would look at home in a truck stop diner, tables lined up like a school cafeteria, and unfortunately not much of a view of the actual vineyard. There wasn't the comfortable at home feel that many wineries in the area strive for instead it felt very utilitarian.
Thirdly, the service. This is where I believe LVV finds its strength. The owner was quick to welcome us and very eager to get our impressions of the wines we tasted. He was very knowledgeable about the wines and gave great descriptions for each as he poured.
Not the best winery in the area but it seems like they are making a good attempt in a very difficult market.

1 Thank Joey S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stay away from this crappy place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Last weekend my wife and I attended this winery's annual lobster fest. It was atrocious. We were told when we checked in our 3 lobsters would be ready "in about 15 minutes" and brought to our table. Over an hour later we still had not received them. The woman working there handed me a lobster. A few minutes later she brought the other two, forgetting to bring the potatoes for one. The lobsters were not fully cooked. When we opened the first one the water running out was green, like the color of salsa. They also charged $8 for an once of red wine. We didn't touch the remainder of the meat because it wasn't fit for consumption. They used only one pot with room for just 4 lobsters at the time. The place was slipsod, incompetent, and didn't really care. What a ripoff. Don't set foot near this cheap and lousy operation.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ethalyn
Purcellville, Virginia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nice full service winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

They have decent breads, cheese, etc to sit down with a nice bottle of wine. Wines are decent but not the best in LC.

Visited April 2012