“Excellent Bed & Breakfast”

Foster Harris House
Ranked #1 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our first B&B ever and we were a bit reluctant at first. Once we got there John and Diane made us feel at home with free wine, free port, and a beautiful room with all the amenities you may want. The most amazing thing was the breakfast the morning after. A full four course meal with a fantastic presentation, great flavor and very healthy. Myself, I'm vegan and John (the Chef) went out of his way to make me a breakfast that was totally vegan and quite enjoyable.
i would recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fontecir
There are newer reviews for Foster Harris House

Reviewed July 7, 2013

John & Diane really have a wonderful thing going at The Foster Harris House. The hospitality, accomodations, and location are top notch. You can stay here, walk to the Inn at Little Washington, and wake up to a gourmet multi-course breakfast prepared by John. Nothing beats that. We recommend staying for several days, it is a wonderful home base for a wide range of activities. Choose between touring skyline drive in shennandoah national park, excellent wineries (linden, glen manor vineyards), hiking, road cycling, and the beautiful shenandoah river, suitable for all ages.

John & Diane also run the Tour D'Epicure, a cycling tour for foodies based in Washington VA. We can't wait to do this with them- the put together an excellent guest experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in The Suite- it had a nice sitting area in it as well, a little larger than the other roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Foster Harris was recommended by a friend as being conveniently located quite near the Inn at Little Washington, where we had made dinner reservations. Aside from the recommendation, we knew nothing of the Foster Harris House.

What a wonderful surprise it was! We were pleasantly greeted by the proprietors Diane and John, who were kind enough to take the time to tell us of local points of interest and things to do, including biking and fly fishing.

The Foster Harris House, many of the surrounding properties, indeed the entire town are steeped in history. The surrounding country roads assured a relaxing drive where we stumbled upon antique shops, a (rye/whiskey distillery), country stores stocked with locally grown/produced goods (dairy, meat, produce, and baked goods).

Its true that we expected your garden variety breakfast. What we didn't expect was a gourmet breakfast that was perhaps the finest we've had.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Foster Harris House to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We are not great fans of B&B's. FH House though is an exception. Bu far the cleanest, spotless, welcoming place we have recently stayed in. Truly spotless. Not the superficial clean up and facelifting you encounter say at the Ritz or othet 5 star hotels. Comfortable bed, wonderful shower (The Suit), privacy, welcoming but non intrusive hosts. We of course had dinner at the Inn, to celebrate our 46th Anniv. We stayed overnight on a Wednesday night, so just 3 of the rooms were occupied. It was quite, and relaxing. Much has been said about breakfast, yes, it is wonderful. Will certainly come back, and next time stay for dinner at the Foster House.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank efroni
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

So charming, best breakfasts we've ever had, John and Diane could not have been more welcoming hosts. If you are considering a stay at this fabulous B&B, don't hesitate!

If you are going for more than one night or are going for one night only and your dinner plans do not involve the Inn at Little Washington, the Foster Harris House offers a wonderful several course dinner with a wine pairing option. The menu changes based on what is in season/what is at the local farm - John and Diane are committed to using local ingredients :). We had a duck breast that was to die for! (Of course all dietary restrictions are accommodated.) If interested, it is a good idea to ask about dinner when you make your room reservation. We lucked out because some other guests were already having dinner, and we were able to join in without having made plans in advance. So grateful that John and Diane could accommodate us! As said previously, the meal was fabulous. It's a big undertaking to offer a gourmet meal just down the street from the mighty Inn at Little Washington, but John's cooking and Diane's service are top notch and certainly stand up to the challenge, at a fraction of the cost, and in a nice, relaxed, enjoyable setting :).

As everyone else has mentioned, the Foster Harris house is walking distance to the Inn at Little Washington. It's also a short drive to Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, and Luray Caverns are a little bit farther away. Location couldn't be better! We will be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed June 12, 2013

How do I love you Foster Harris House? Let me count the ways. First the warm glow of your soft lights at sundown beckons me shamelessly. Next I am seduced by your ambiance so rich in style and effortless hospitality. I am delighted by the charm of your hosts whose smiles and untiring welcoming make me feel instantly at home away from my home in a manner that makes me want to stay here forever. Cares and worries disappear in the luxury that tucks me effortlessly in the softness of my new nighttime. At dawn’s early light, I peek from my window and in my peeking I discover that I am nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains that pour out their glory on me. I feel the soft hint of the mountain breeze that is as light as a feather’s touch on my lips. The scent of fresh brewed coffee placed just outside my room wafts its way in the early morning quiet of the enchanted house. The aroma of freshly baked ginger scones lures me down stairs to a charming chamber where Chef John MacPherson and the lady of the house, Diane, perform their magic. She has just prepared a fruit parfait and places it before me in a decorative 6-ounce glass that is brimming with strawberries and mangos and kiwis with blueberries mixed with a vanilla custard yogurt and topped with some granola and a sprig of mint. Diane and John have just begun. Flawlessly poached eggs rest atop a puff pastry surrounded by sautéed spinach and crispy prosciutto. Or they may be serving their spectacular wild mushroom, spinach and gruyere frittata. Another of my favorites is the Foster Harris House Paradise Bacon made with either raspberry chipotle or mango chutney, both of which are fantastic. The finale to the symphony of breakfast pleasures is served up with dark chocolate curls o'er half-dollar-sized pancakes in a small pool of maple butter sauce. Presented hot right off the stove with the shaved chocolate, powdered sugar, sauce and garnished with mint, the unique pancakes make my mouth water and leave me suspended in a kind of daydream from which I do not want to be awakened. But, alas, I must go. Yet in the going I am blessed with pleasant memories that linger nicely and that insist on my returning. And I keep coming back. I believe you will too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank EdRabelPlease
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for a 'mini-moon' for a couple nights after our wedding in June 2013. John and Diane offered incredible, warm and friendly service. The room was very comfortable and clean, and the 7:30 AM coffee on the landing is perfect, leading up to what is an unbelievable breakfast. The culinary expertise and love of food that goes into its preparation was on another level. Also, it was cool to see the cookbook and the recipes they use, especially if you are a foodie.

Next time we come back to Washington VA or Skyline drive area, we will definitely stay here, no question.

Room Tip: The Suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#2 of 8 in Washington
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Foster Harris House? Share your experiences!