Ten Things We Love About Foster Harris
A stay at Foster Harris House is a five-star experience, as attested to by others on this page. I would add only ten of the things Vivi-Anne and I loved:
1. Location, location: Foster Harris ("FH") is located in Little Washington,Virginia, In the rolling hills of Virginia near Shenandoah National Park. It is also the site of one of the best restaurants in the U.S. - The Inn at Little Washington. [See the FH website for particulars - the restaurant is walking distance from FH (truly).]
2. Getting there: One hour+ from DC, even closer from Dulles.
3. Bed and breakfast in a quaint, very comfortable, vintage house - in a small, but historical town. Great for walking and exploring.
4. Proprietors: You will find that this to be perhaps the best part of Foster Harris. John and Diane are hospitable to the extreme. They are constantly engaged in making things better - and they succeed.
5. Breakfast: Breakfast is superior. John and Diane serve what may be one the best breakfast you will ever have. They put their considerable talents together to produce this memorable event.
6. Web site: The website is beautiful and informative. Check out www.fosterharris.com.
7. Cookbook: Foster Harris has produced a world-class cookbook, complete with magnificent photos of the results of various Proprietors' recipes.
8. TV program. FH has produced a pilot series, In Seasons, that has been accepted by PBS. The pilot features John in the field farms, ranches, lakes, selecting various vegetables, meats, fish, fowl for breakfast and select dinners. You can view the pilot on the FH website.
9. Activities. FH also operates a highly regarded bicycle - gourmet restaurant tour. Check out Tour d'Epicure on the FH website.
10. Addiction. We are from San Francisco and have stayed at FH for the last seven years. It only gets better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just steps from the world-renowned Inn at Little Washington in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Foster Harris House offers comfortable, refined country inn accommodations in an enchanting setting. Each queen bed guest room has exquisitely soft linens, spa robes, and a private bath with a rainfall shower. Included with your stay is a lavish, unhurried four-course breakfast. Dinner at the Foster Harris House unites the elements that inspire Chef John's culinary muse - fruits and vegetables from the rich soil of Rappahannock County, surprising flavors, bold splashes of color and family traditions - with each plate artfully composed to entice the eyes and the appetite. The intimate dining room of only 10 seats and just one seating per night allows for an unhurried and personal dining experience. ... more less