“Expected more.”

Foster Harris House
Ranked #1 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2011

The owners were very nice, so I would not make any sort of comment otherwise about them, but I have to say given all the reviews I expected more.

We stayed in "the suite" which was described as the biggest room they offered. the bathroom is smaller than that you would find in a dormitory. the toilet is basically under the sink and directly faces the shower, so if you and your husband need to use the bathroom/shower to get ready, there is nothing left to the imagination. Its maybe 4 feet wide, by 8 feet long total. The shower is claustrophobic and apparently anytime someone showers there is a huge puddle that forms in the bathroom. We let the owners know and were told "we know its a problem but theres nothing to do to fix it." How about letting the guests know ahead of time to expect it? I was in a panic when I saw the water and tried to clean it up as soon as I could to prevent damage to the wood and then spent another 15 minutes keeping the water from leaking when my husband showered. That was not what I was expecting from our visit.

The room itself is on the smaller end of a hotel room. If you book the suite with the hopes of it being big and roomy, you may want to try a diff b&b since this is their biggest room.

Also, we spent a good portion of our evening "listening in" to the conversation of others in the room below despite our best efforts not to. Which then made it uncomfortable for us to enjoy the room without worrying about making any noise [hey this is a romantic b&b afterall!].

the breakfast was good, my husband enjoyed each course. Would we come back again? We had some time to talk it over on our drive back to DC an we determined that we would not. It was nice enough. Not really romantic, and not really private or secluded. We then booked a room in a different hotel in dc to get our "getaway" fix that following weekend. Go figure, a b&b in DC was more of a getaway than that of a b&b 75 miles outside the city. Guess we really can be the type to go to a B&B and enjoy ourselves.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Langlier

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Had a wonderful time visiting the Foster Harris House in February 2011. You'll unplug from the hustle and bustle (whether you like it or not....there's no cell reception in this town) and hopefully take in some of the area's best food and beverages.

The B&B's owners are warm and friendly and John makes a mean 4-course breakfast! Resist the urge to horde scones.

The rooms are beautiful and the showers are downright spiritual (at least in our room, the Compton).

Lastly, the town of Washington, VA is quaint and laid-back. You'll be welcomed by the locals and visitors alike. Make sure you visit the Stonyman Gourmet Farmer shop right down the street for lunch or cheese for a picnic at a nearby winery. If you're up for a splurge, the Inn at Little Washington is world class food (as in, served to the Queen of England a few years ago).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bookishbelle
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Recently, my wife and I made a short trek to spend a night at the Foster Harris House in Washington, Virginia. We were impressed with their web site, so we already had high expectations for our stay! Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the innkeeeper's very friendly yellow Lab, Stella, and then by John, the current innkeeper who showed us to our room as well as gave us the general lay of the inn. We spent one night in the room called The Suite, that was very clean and nicely appointed. The inn's hardbound cookbook, as well as a bottle of red wine with two glasses, greeted us as we re-entered the room. As we made our way to the bathroom, we looked out the back window to a wide open golden field and a long white wooden fence that continued up and over the top of the field and disappeared out of sight. The bathroom had been newly renovated, and offered six shower heads that soothed the muscles and the mind. Although the inn that evening was full, we barely heard a sound. The entire inn was most comfortable and you could tell that a lot of time and love had gone into making this place that "home away from home" retreat for guests, just like ourselves! The next morning we meandered downstairs for their famous four course breakfast! It was served by both Diane and John in a relaxed, but efficient manner, and quite frankly, I made the comment that it was too nicely presented to be eaten. But we couldn't hold back, and found EVERYTHING to be most delicious! You won't go wrong booking this inn for your next trip away from home! Both Diane and John are great innkeepers...they certainly enjoy entertaining their guests!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Northport22
Reviewed February 16, 2011

John and Diane have created a wonderful place to unwind, relax and eat well. They are gracious, helpful hosts and it is apparent that they truly love their jobs. The B & B is tastefully decorated and has many really nice features like an amazing shower with many jets, high quality linens, wine in the common area, maps available for dinner locations, etc. They are extremely helpful when asked and are otherwise very unobtrusive. If you are looking for a place (town) with a lot to do in terms of nightlife, and shopping, this is not it. If you want a quiet hidden gem of a place with amazing food, wineries nearby and great biking in the warmer months - with authentic people as your hosts, you've found your spot. Thanks John and Diane!

1  Thank 4hokielove
Reviewed February 10, 2011

This most recent trip being my third to the Foster Harris House, I can only say it gets better each time. I have been as guest as part of the Tour d'Epicure package as well a guest for just an overnight stay. John and Diane have made the Foster Harris House into a warm, hospitable, cozy Bed & Breakfast that I am quickly coming to think of as a second 'home'. There are few places you enter as a guest and leave feeling like a 'friend'. I will continue to make this my overnight destination when I want the beauty of the Virginia hills, pampering in a luxuriously comfy, cozy Bed & Breakfast, a gourmet breakfast awaiting me the next morning and the hospitality of owners John and Diane MacPherson. Reservations for next trip..........already made!

1  Thank DNMorres
Reviewed February 10, 2011

John and Diane are wonderful people and very gracious hosts. After just one night, we felt we had gained two wonderful friends. The McPhearson's warm inviting character along with the charm of the Foster Harris House itself is what makes this B&B stand out from others. The rooms are large and modernly updated, but still leave you with that comfortable B&B feeling. The food, oh don't even get me started on how amazing the breakfast was. To summarize breakfast; exquisite food, friendly people and great conversation! Oh and make sure you leave plenty of time to enjoy the shower, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank JBW128
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Foster Harris House for one night and we had a good time, but it was nothing incredibly special. After reading all the super positive reviews, I think the place was overhyped for me. The breakfast was good, but not something I'd go home and rave about. We stayed in the Garden Room and we specifically chose it because the website states that it has a "soaking tub" - it's a regular tub...nothing special about it. It's a nice home base for heading out into the area, but it's not a place that I plan on going back to each year.

2  Thank LMH2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Glen Gordon Manor
Glen Gordon Manor
#1 of 1 in Huntly

Been to Foster Harris House? Share your experiences!