“FANTASTIC Supper by the Fountain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Stonyman Gourmet Farmer - CLOSED

Stonyman Gourmet Farmer
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“FANTASTIC Supper by the Fountain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

After sampling their wonderful cheeses and gourmet goods (these really are top top TOP quality!), I ventured out for a Supper by the Fountain. Boy, am I glad that I did!! It was a wonderful evening in their private garden room. The food was very good and the atmosphere was just amazing. Nice and quiet, very relaxing - something that every DC city person should do. What's great is that you can bring your own wine for no charge!

Overall, an excellent experience. I plan to go back many, many times.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank P S

Deal, United Kingdom
“So good, we went back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stopped off in Washington VA en route from DC to Staunton. We chanced upon Stonyman Gourmet Farmer and ordered quiche & salad, followed by berry scones. We sat in a beautiful quiet, garden by a fountain to enjoy a relaxed meal. The staff were very friendly and the food was great. It was so good that we travelled back a week later on the same route just to stop for lunch at the Stonyman Gourmet farmer again.

• Visited July 2013
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“A hidden gem in the Shenandoah”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

After a recent visit to the Luray Caverns in Virginia, we stopped at this tiny, hidden gem in Washington, Va. about a 30 minute drive from the caverns.

Inside the historic general store building one's senses awake to the smell of freshly baked French pastries and fruit tarts, thanks to the prowess of pastry chef Sarah, a Johnson & Wales graduate. An avid cheese lover, I was drawn almost immediately to the assortment of farm-fresh artisinal cheeses that are tastefully displayed in the deli case (the store has quite the collection of transferware, all handsomely adding charm to the decor). Stonyman's owner, Susan, is more than happy to explain each cheese type to you and give you a taste which will only lessen your will power to resist further temptation (luckily, she accepts credit cards!!).

The lunch menu is limited but oh so sublime -- a warm pannini of smoked Virginia country ham with one of the amazing artisinal cheeses, served with a side salad of fresh organic greens and tomatoes caught our eyes and we read no further. We ate inside the store but they have very pretty outdoor gardens which if the weather were cooler, would have been equally nice.

The service was simple but attentive and very gracious. Stonyman's is open Thursday through Monday, 9-5 and is well worth a visit if you are in the area or want to experience Southern hospitality in an honest and delicious way.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Andrea M
VA
“Super bread pudding!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We made a quick stop here while walking around town and had fabulous bread pudding and excellent service!

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic French food in VA Country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stopped at Stonyman Gourmet farmer on my way back from a hike in Shenandoah, and was extremely pleased to walk in and see an amazing display of French pastries: croissants, chocolatines, pear pies, lemon pies, apple pies, etc.... Besides the pastries, there is also a great assortment of various local cheeses (And not only your traditional cheeses like Brie). As a French native, I can truly say that everything I tasted there reminded me of my country.

I found the owner, Susan, to be extremely friendly and helpful as I was trying to decide what to order for my late lunch. I went with the homemade pasta with vegetables and loved every bite of it.

It was a beautiful day so we were able to sit outside on their patio to enjoy our meal. Overall, it was a great experience and I will be sure to be back there!

• Visited October 2012