“Great experience”

Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Amissville, Virginia
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 22, 2006

The house keeping staff here is amazing you seldom see them but everything is always in order once you go out for breakfast they will go in and freshen up your room The service here is worth every penny you pay , I have never had such an attentive staff around me before and not see them .

We felt welcome and at home the whole time the food was to die for I would love to come back but don’t want to spend all my children inheritance. Well worth spoiling your self once in a while . Book well in advance though .

• Liked — Room decor and service
  • Disliked — A little pricy
  • Tips/Secrets — Take advantage of service they will accommodate you in every way and your paying for it
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fish_oinc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed November 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this inn for the first time, and we thought it was a magical experience. All the little details they do to make the stay special add up to a very enjoyable visit. I doubt that it would be so special the second time around.

By the way, our suite was lovely. Everything was in good repair, and I did not see any cobwebs.

The food was excellent and the service was great. We didn't go there expecting to have the best meal we have ever eaten ( we live somewhat close to NYC), so it was not at all disappointing. The overall experience was very pleasant and memorable. If I remember correctly, we ordered 3 courses -- appetizer, main course and dessert. This was more than enough for us, and we are not small people.

The only thing that struck me as inappropriate is the additional charge for extra dishes at breakfast. The basic breakfast is a yogurt/granola parfait with breads and jams which should be ample for most after a night of serious eating. They have a menu of additional dishes that can be ordered for an additional $25. It seems to me that this should be included in the very high room rate.

We went during a weekday night, so there were no extra charges added on to the already high prices. By the way, I made the reservation almost 6 months in advance and at least half the rooms had already been booked!

• Liked — The little surprises they leave you!
  • Disliked — The extra charge for additional breakfast dishes.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ihopeihelped
LiveGood
Reviewed November 11, 2006

If you are easily impressed you MAY like the property. However, if you are a seasoned traveler and know first class when you see it you will be sadly and profoundly disappointed. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. We stayed in the Mayor's house. It was a "Period" house but we did expect it to be IMMACULATE. It was not. The room was full of active spiders and cobwebs indicating nobody had taken a good look and inspected the room as you would expect on a FIVE STAR hotel. I would have a difficult time giving it 3 stars. Traveling extensively as we do, we take where we stay VERY seriously.

The meal was good but we did not like being told, "Have as much as you like" but never coming back and offering us seconds. That was on BOTH nights we dined there. Plus they made it awkward to ASK for a second helping of appetizers. So what's that about??

Our overall experience was okay but my wife really wanted to leave after the first night. She did not feel comfortable and if we did not prepay the entire stay, we would have checked out after the first night.

We would not consider going back and I have written this review to give others a "Head's up" on what to expect. The Inn really has to stop patting themselves on the back and need to get to work and CLEAN the place. The great reviews they got during the last couple years must have gone to their head.

I think we paid close to $1000 a night for the room and for us that is not that expensive as we always get suites in top hotels. These folks need a good wake up call and reading the recent reviews, I am not the only one that thinks so. I don't know what happened to this place, but it is not as advertised IMHO. I hope my review will act as a serious critique to the owners and let them know that not everyone is satisfied and just because you don't complain about it when you are there does not mean folks were happy with what they got.

I see that management has the opportunity to respond to the reviews and have not. There is no question they are familiar with this site. So why do they not respond? Perhaps the arrogance we experienced in person runs very deep. Ignoring reviews is not very good business no matter what type business you run. It would be nice for them to acknowledge these short comings. Ignoring it sure is not working well and should indicate their mindset. Believe me, I regret having to say all this. I would have rather written a review full of compliments and accolades but just can't given our experience.

• Liked — Check in
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid and go to a REAL 5 start hotel.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
19 Thank LiveGood
Fairfax, Va.
Reviewed October 31, 2006

The Inn is known not so much for its rooms but for its five star dining. No matter if you book a room or just go there for a dining experience, it will be expensive. Prepare to lay out $800 for four on a week night; food, drinks, tax and tip included. With that said, five years ago, the dining experience was close to being worth the charge. My recent experiences have not been to that level. The proprietors whose fame and fortune have grown over the years spend less time at the Inn. Their business obligations keep them on the road to Paris, awards, etc. That may be the reason that the menu items do not have the same "wow" factor they used to have. Definitely not worth the levy today. Be prepared for small portions on a five course meal. Great presentations. You will not leave hungry or stuffed.

Considering the price, the experience is average.

Stayed October 2006
18 Thank Jimbo68
Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2006

There are few places in the world (and I have traveled much of it) that can match the combination of service, quality and satisfaction one enjoys at the Inn at Little Washington. It's magic!!

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank penchant
Atlanta
Reviewed August 24, 2006

All I can say is AAA and Mobil awards must have been bought. The $950/night suite had spider webs and I would not walk on the floors without slippers. This is a 5 star hotel?? PLEASE!!

I stay at 5 star hotels and this my friends is not one of them. This a 2 star B&B with a 4 star overpriced restaurant.

The dinner was about $400 each night (For 2). It was very good....but come one!! The portions were small and was just silly. I feel like a fool for wasting my money.

The breakfast that comes with the room is insulting and little variety!! You have to be totally stupid to ever want to go back.

The staff was very attentive except when they said NO!

Nearly $3100 for 2 nights was a total waste. We drove 750 miles just to go to this hotel after reading and hearing about the reviews. The reviewers are NUTS. Like I said, they must have gotten a free room and a free dinner to give reviews that did not match what we got. SHAME on AAA and Mobil for giving this hotel the 5 star and 5 diamond awards. What were they thinking??? NBC is guilty as well as they did a segment on the Inn earlier this year.

I had no problem paying $950/night for the room. I expected something special. VERY special. What we got was a musty room with spider webs!! HOW can it be a 5 star hotel when they can't see this?? It is impossible! Don't be fooled by the hoopla. This hotel is not what it is cracked up to be. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! I wasted my time and money, don't waste yours!!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be fooled by the hype.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
22 Thank webdad
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband surprised me with a trip to the Inn this week for our Anniversary. The experience was charming and magical. We were greeted as if we were the only two staying at the Inn.

Having drinks at the Monkey Bar and spending time in our gorgeous room before dinner was wonderful.

Dinner was intimate and exquisite. We just came back from New York and had dinner at the Four Season's, even though the Four Season's is an unbelievable restruatant, dinning at the Inn is an experience beyond compare.

If you decide to try the Inn be prepared for fine dinning and beautiful rooms, the value of a luxury Inn is what one takes away from the experience. If you are concerned about how much it cost then this is not the place for you.

• Liked — The staff attended your every need.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a good map, the Inn is a little out of the way, but worth it.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank oakley10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 3 in Flint Hill
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!