“An experience not matched elsewhere.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn at Little Washington

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Florida
“An experience not matched elsewhere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2006

There are few places in the world (and I have traveled much of it) that can match the combination of service, quality and satisfaction one enjoys at the Inn at Little Washington. It's magic!!

• Stayed July 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank penchant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2006

All I can say is AAA and Mobil awards must have been bought. The $950/night suite had spider webs and I would not walk on the floors without slippers. This is a 5 star hotel?? PLEASE!!

I stay at 5 star hotels and this my friends is not one of them. This a 2 star B&B with a 4 star overpriced restaurant.

The dinner was about $400 each night (For 2). It was very good....but come one!! The portions were small and was just silly. I feel like a fool for wasting my money.

The breakfast that comes with the room is insulting and little variety!! You have to be totally stupid to ever want to go back.

The staff was very attentive except when they said NO!

Nearly $3100 for 2 nights was a total waste. We drove 750 miles just to go to this hotel after reading and hearing about the reviews. The reviewers are NUTS. Like I said, they must have gotten a free room and a free dinner to give reviews that did not match what we got. SHAME on AAA and Mobil for giving this hotel the 5 star and 5 diamond awards. What were they thinking??? NBC is guilty as well as they did a segment on the Inn earlier this year.

I had no problem paying $950/night for the room. I expected something special. VERY special. What we got was a musty room with spider webs!! HOW can it be a 5 star hotel when they can't see this?? It is impossible! Don't be fooled by the hoopla. This hotel is not what it is cracked up to be. VERY DISAPPOINTING!! I wasted my time and money, don't waste yours!!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Staying
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be fooled by the hype.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
22 Thank webdad
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband surprised me with a trip to the Inn this week for our Anniversary. The experience was charming and magical. We were greeted as if we were the only two staying at the Inn.

Having drinks at the Monkey Bar and spending time in our gorgeous room before dinner was wonderful.

Dinner was intimate and exquisite. We just came back from New York and had dinner at the Four Season's, even though the Four Season's is an unbelievable restruatant, dinning at the Inn is an experience beyond compare.

If you decide to try the Inn be prepared for fine dinning and beautiful rooms, the value of a luxury Inn is what one takes away from the experience. If you are concerned about how much it cost then this is not the place for you.

• Liked — The staff attended your every need.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a good map, the Inn is a little out of the way, but worth it.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank oakley10
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2006

It is the little details that make the difference and at the Inn, its all about the details. I will not spoil your trip by giving you advance notice of all the little things you will encounter that ultimately will justify (hopefully) the final bill, rather, I will tell you that they will be welcomed and appreciated. My only personal criticism is the seating arrangement in the dining room, so common in high end restaurants, where seating is along a wall punctuared with small tables, so everyone seems so be dining in a long table. This arrangement gives one no privacy and I could not help but over hear the conversation going on, literally, right next to me. Perhaps you could ask for a specific table, which I neglected to do.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank interterra
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

I've eaten at various famous restaurants on two continents, but I do have to say that the Inn at Little Washington is the best of the bunch. Good service is attentive service, but the best service is simply intuitive. Our waiter at IALW was intuitive. Moreover, there was not a stuffy bone to his body (as found at the best restaurants). The food, too, was very good. Yes, there are other chefs who perhaps can equal the cuisine, but it's the combination of service, setting, atmosphere, and the consistency of the cuisine, that simply makes IALW our national treasure. Another reviewer gave negatives for being asked to move for dessert. I agree that this would be a totally inappropriate request at the end of a $600 meal, and hope that it is an isolated glitch in an otherwise wonderful dining experience.

• Stayed July 2002
15 Thank AndrewBolton
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2006

I expected an experience equitqable to other five star holidays I have spent and was pleasantly surprised with a few extra perks. The room was as expected...nothing too special nor too bawdy...four star level of furnishings and above average commercial uber-designer-fabric-extraordinare decor. The service upon arrival, which was expected, soon turned into something special with the champagne cocktails turning into afternoon tea in the garden. The evening started in the room with cocktails, the monkey bar for upper and upper middle level single malts and continued into the cocktail parlour anticipating our evening's meal. The table was preselected by members of our party and the menu was preprinted and personalized. The meal...was...uh...fantastic. From the amuse-bouche to the final drambuie, the whole reason we travelled dozens of hours was satisfied in a meal to speak about for years. Afterwards, we enjoyed a private kitchen tour by Patrick and went to bed with more port delivered to our rooms. The morning was nothing of a let down with a lovely breakfast served in the garden room of french style eggs, country bacon and homemade confiture and breads. We left for a an afternoon in the beautiful countryside feeling lightheaded and satisfied we treated ourselves to something special and hoping to return.

• Stayed November 2005
15 Thank MarkIndpls
Chicago, Illinios
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2006

My family and I have been patrons at the Inn for about ten years, we try to get down once a year but sometimes settle for every other year. I emailed them in November to check out some dates for February and recieved a reply three weeks later. [Last time I emailed, I was replied to in at most three hours.] When I asked for one of the two contacts we have used previously, I was told they have both left. I phoned in and asked for the manager, Beverly, with whom I had delighted in chatting with previously and was told she was no longer there either. I sent another email in early december again requesting availability for a few overnights in February and have yet to recieve a response from that. Because of this, my family and I decided to just have dinner there and to stay at the Homestead. Dinner was wonderful, but some of the sparkle from previous visits was gone. My wife pointed out that some of our favorite servers were missing. Turnover seems to have gone up there lately. Our waiter was talkative and charming, but some of the other staff have acquired a kind of superior attitude. I especially love the desserts and I'm not one with a sweet tooth. Its still a wonderful place, but heaven it is not.

• Stayed January 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Cheryl R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 2 in Flint Hill
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!