“An outsider looking in.”

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“An outsider looking in.”
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I had the privilege to visit the Inn as a tourist Saturday April 23rd. The staff was very cordial to me with my questions and curiosity about the menu and just general questions about such a lavish Inn that I found just by chance. If I ever get into the financial situation I hope I can become a guest at the Inn.
Thank you for your kindness to a stranger.

Stayed April 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 24, 2005

What can I say about the Inn? Here in the Washington DC area it holds a certain mystique and cult following. My partner and I are now members of this elite club. Dining at the Inn can be compared to enjoying Iranian caviar and a bottle of Grande Dame. Both are delicious and delectable - but also very expensive and served with ritual. They would taste the same without the expense and mother of pearl utensils and crystal - but it just would not be the same experience. I was not sure what to expect, but my dining experience was anticlimactic. The Inn is beautiful and well decorated. The service was professional and exceptional, but friendly and unpretentious. The name of our dinner party was printed on our menus. We were all prepared for the cost. Dinner for 4, 1 bottle of mediocre wine, and 4 cocktails cost $920 with tax and tip. The share for my partner and me was $460 - that is almost exactly what we paid for our last weekend trip to New York for 2 nights hotel and theater tickets. Good, but not great. On a recent trip to New Orleans I had far more exceptional food at Herbsaint - for a fraction of the cost. Unlike other reviews, I found the portions to be adequate considering there were 4 courses. We did not leave hungry. The highlight of the meal was the dessert courses - works of art, creative, and delicious. But for $230 a head - I guess I expected the dining experience of a lifetime. From my previous experiences with restaurants around the county and world, a fare price for the dinner would have been around $75. ($15 1st course, ditto for second, $30 for the entree and $15 for dessert.) Considering the Inn is 70 miles from Washington DC - the overhead must be quite low. Again, good food, excellent location, beautiful surroundings, but not worth the price. Splurge if you wish.

Stayed April 2005
16 Thank dcsocialworker2016
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed March 10, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Middleton Inn in Washington, VA and were delighted in the charming room(Churchill), attentive and thoughtful service and its special location near the Inn at Little Washington. The drive through rolling hills and country roads was a perfect entree to a wonderfully restored 1850 inn and it provided a special retreat for us celebrating our anniversary. Along with dinner at the nearby Inn, this lovely B&B provided us a memorable experience that we will look forward to repeating in the future. We couldn't have imagined a better retreat!

7 Thank EBarker
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed February 22, 2005

I had the opportunity to take my family to The Inn at Little Washington and was totally blown away by the experience. I went to the Inn based on reputation. Sometimes great reputations lead to so so dining experiences. This was not the case with our visit. The restaurant itself is absolutely gorgeous. The food was amazing from the appetizers to the divine "7 deadly sins dessert". Service is what made the experience though! The servers seemed to appear out of nowhere to deliver the restaurants magical creations. Everything was delivered perfectly and sat in front of my guests at the same time.
As an added surprise, after dinner we were invited to visit the kitchen...everyone should have a kitchen like this! The kitchen was immaculate and was beautiful.
We will definitely be going back for another special occassion. I defined visiting this restaurant as a "life moment". It certainly was one!

9 Thank Chip21
williamsburg, va
Reviewed February 15, 2005

Yes, dinner with a couple of glasses of wine each ran over $500 for two with tax and tip, and worth every penny. You don't need large portions for each course; you're dining for two and a half hours! It may have been the most expensive meal of my life, but I don't regret it for a moment. Don't believe everything you read in reviews. Fine dining must satisfy all the senses. Visually tremendous; flavors were exquisite without being strange or over the top.

7 Thank vaadvisor
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed February 15, 2005

Nothing in my experience prepared me for our stay at the Inn at Little Washington. I believe the Inn defines the art of hospitality. The service is impeccable. The room was beautifully furnished with a fine attention to detail. The dinner was superb. If you are looking for the ultimate getaway experience then treat yourself and be a guest at the Inn. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank Turandot4
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 12, 2005

One word for the food- marvelous!! And the service? It was like we never saw our waiter: everything appeared at just the right moment when we needed it. it was wonderful. The staff was attentive and thoughtful. A few notes: in a five star world, we didn't expect to see a waitress with numerous tattoos on her arms. One of the staff tried perhaps too hard to be overly charming and funny. The portions were just the right size for a seven course meal. The dessert was literally to die for.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
Glen Gordon Manor
Glen Gordon Manor
#1 of 1 in Huntly

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!