“Make this #1 on your bucket list, then go there!”

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
Leesburg VA
“Make this #1 on your bucket list, then go there!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just celebrated my birthday at the Inn at Little Washington, which included afternoon tea, dinner, an overnight stay in a lovely room, and breakfast the next day. I have the cookbooks, have made some of the recipes, and have followed Patrick O'Connell's career for years, and it was a thrill to finally go there. The entire experience was fabulous. For the true foodies reading this review, when do you go to a great restaurant owned and operated by a top chef, and see that top chef actually making your food? I have never seen that, until now. I can't tell you what a thrill it was to have Patrick O'Connell, the MAN, come over to say hello while we were enjoying our welcome cocktail and then again, over dinner. He doesn't have to do that, there are talented and competent sous chefs everywhere who can execute well on his behalf. What this demonstrates immensely is what Chef O'Connell is setting out to do, provide a perfect, personal experience for we guests, then surpass that perfection.

After the cocktail and lovely chat, we were escorted to our beautiful, immaculate room and found a hand written note from the proprietor, Patrick O'Connell, welcoming us. The room was quiet, comfortable, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud.

The afternoon tea was fantastic, wonderful assortment of eclectic teas. The service could have not been more impeccable. The sinful sweet and savory goodies on the multi tiered tray were delicious. I could have eaten plates and plates of them. Exhibiting any restraint was difficult!

Dinner was once again, fabulous. Whimsical and creative touches are the Chef's signature, and are easy on the eye as well as the palate. Lobster minestrone - gotta love the veggies in ONE large pasta shell, rather than the pasta in the broth with the veggies. The lamb Carpaccio, diver scallop, grilled pigeon, duck, and the desserts were to die for. The execution and service was top notch – we struggled to pick what we wanted off the menu because it all sounded so good and the stomach is only so big – I can only hope the tempura soft shell crab is still there someday when I go back – it was calling to me from someone else’s table and it was hard not to stare!

Breakfast the next day was once again, stunning. Homemade Greek yogurt, granola, fresh berries – the fabulous and inspiring food was served to us in sumptuous elegance, at a table in front of an open door looking out into the gorgeous garden and koi pond. From the eggs Benedict to the oatmeal soufflé to homemade hash with a quail egg and the amazing eggs with smoked salmon...wow this cannot be beat.

Inn grounds are stunning and gorgeous, what a thrill to see the attention to detail in every nook and cranny. Everyone knew our name, and made us feel welcome. Staff seem to enjoy what they are doing and must all share Patrick O'Connell's vision – he must be a thrill to work for. Thank you all for working so hard to make our stay so special. Folks, this is the real deal. Make this #1 on your bucket list, and then go there!

Room Tip: If you are staying overnight at the Inn at Little Washington, who cares what room you are in :-). I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank donnaks
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Your review has absolutely made us smile and we are so pleased to hear that every aspect of your meals and subsequent stay was exceptional. It is our goal at The Inn at Little Washington to provide an experience like no other to our guests and it seems we met that goal with you. We’re thrilled that you had an opportunity to meet with Patrick O’Connell and to share your appreciation with him and we look forward to welcoming you back time and time again to enjoy so many of the unique characteristics that our Inn offers to its guests. Thank you for your gracious review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary at TIALW last night. The food, the service, the ambiance (which I describe as a Bombay British brothel!) were all spectacular. I loved every minute of my stay...except one...getting in the car to go home. The experience was a feast for the palate and eyes. I have read and reread my menu - which wished us a happy anniversary - and closed my eyes and wandered through the gorgeous inn. We had the Gastronaut dinner with the wine pairings - and I am so glad we did. My only regret was that I didn't get to taste the butter pecan ice cream sandwich. I saw another diner enjoying that - and the seven deadly sins dessert. But I couldn't have eaten another bite anyway. I loved the novelty of the cow cheese cart with the mooing - though it sounded more like a sheep. However, the playfulness of the cow cheese cart was so amusing in stark contrast to the elegance of the room and food.

I can't wait to go back. I am already planning my husband's 60th birthday. And it's 3 years away!

I loved every minute of my stay. And I love my husband so much for suprising me with the experience of a life time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Your review captures exactly what we want our guests to experience when they spend time at The Inn at Little Washington – outstanding service, divine cuisine and luxury at its best. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your anniversary meal and we are absolutely looking forward to greeting you again in the future. Thank you for your gracious review.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I traveled to The Inn at Little Washington for a rare date night. The staff was amazing. We were greeted as soon as we arrived. They noticed we brought a camera and took pictures of us in front of the restaurant and in the lobby. Our waiter made wonderful food and wine recommendations for us. We did not feel rushed through our meal. Everyone waiting on us took time and care as they spoke with us. The food was unique and amazing. The wine pairings superb! We ate in the "Bird" room and had a wonderful view of the patio. After dinner, we walked on the grounds and observed their garden. We got some amazing gardening ideas for our own home! It was a wonderfully romantic evening!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
A stroll through our beautiful gardens and relaxing amidst the blooms and peaceful views is a delightful way to end a perfect visit to The Inn at Little Washington. We appreciate the time you took to acknowledge the special efforts our staff makes to ensure our guests enjoy every detail of their experience. It would be our pleasure to have you join us again in the future and we thank you for your kind review.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2013

As far as I am concerned The IALW has only itself to compete with. I have been to enough "top rated" restaurants and inns to consider The IALW number one for me. After several visits over the last 25 years, I feel things have slipped a bit.

On our most recent visit when entering room 7 we noticed a slightly musty odor that lingered throughout our stay. The decor was as lovely as usual but the bedskirt was fairly discolored where it touched the floor…dirty or just old, either way not ideal. House keeping is outstanding with their three visits to the room keeping towels fresh and the bed perfectly made at all times.

We dined in the kitchen and found our waiter to be a bit less polished than the rest of the staff. Even though he wrote down our order he forgot to bring one of our beverages. To his credit though, he did catch the missing dumplings on one of our entree's but then my dessert of peach tart was missing the basil and peach leaf ice cream.

At breakfast we were seated at a special table from our past without having to ask. Making note of these events is a small example of what positions the Inn at the top of many lists. While breakfast began beautifully with the most perfect berries, yogurt and house made granola, it wavered a bit. The basket of bakery items contained croissants with an odd flavor of possibly rancid oil and the blueberry muffins were dry. Our entrees made up for it with the "best we have had" omelet although the accompanying sausage and bacon were cold.

Even though I have listed more than a few exceptions I still feel The IALW comes very close to it's 5 star rating. I hope these miss steps are just a coincidence.

Room Tip: Travel and Leisure recommend Superior rooms 5 and 7. If choosing this category I would go with 5 be...
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are always happy to hear from our loyal guests and we appreciate you letting us know exactly what made your stay memorable as well as what areas need our attention. Taking care of our guests is our number one priority and when we hear that certain aspects of their stay were disappointing, we work even harder to correct those issues. It is always our pleasure to welcome you to The Inn at Little Washington and we are sincerely grateful for your review.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 18, 2013

While traveling on the crowded road of modern American food culture, with its hairpin turns and exits ending in cul-de-sacs of failed expectations, it is comforting to know that one can find a place like The Inn. A place where disciplined creativity combines with attentive but relaxed and gracious service, where one can enjoy food with all five senses fully engaged.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Your review describes an incredible journey and we’re so pleased to hear it! The experience at The Inn at Little Washington is certainly a memorable one and we’re so happy to hear that our attention to detail and welcoming atmosphere created the perfect setting for your meal. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and we thank you for your kind review.
Holmdel
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you died and went to heaven, this just might be it! Every thing about the Inn is so unbelievably extraordinary that it is hard to describe. If you like the finest of food, service, facilities and watching a complete masterful production unfold in front of your eyes this would be the place for you. The unbelievable attention to the most minute detail leaves you questioning, am I a good host? After this, you are unfit to stay or dine anywhere else. It is worth every penny! You will never find another getaway like the Inn at Little Washington!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We can’t thank you enough for your wonderful review of The Inn at Little Washington. Providing our guests with the ultimate in service and attention is our priority and it’s great to see that we met that goal during your stay. Your words of praise are sincerely appreciated by all of us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Inn very soon. Thank you again.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,854 helpful votes
Reviewed August 7, 2013

If you are on a budget, the Inn at Little Washington probably isn't a stop on your travel itinerary. It is the most expensive hotel/restaurant booking you'll ever make. But it's worth it. We have been there five times and we always stay three nights. You have to make dinner reservations months in advance but hotel guests are priorities. If you stay there, you can eat there. And if you don't eat there, you are missing the dining experience of your life. Owner/chef Patrick O'Connell, a James Beard recipient, is a master craftsman in the kitchen. After dinner, walk through the courtyard garden to the back of the Inn. There is a huge window that allows visitors to view O'Connell and his staff doing their thing, preparing one culinary masterpiece after another. For a few dollars more, you can even enjoy your meal at a kitchen table and join in all the fun. O'Connell has been running his show for 35 years and he hasn't lost his zest for producing wonderful meals six nights (the Inn is closed on Tuesday) a week. How good is it? The Inn is the only establishment of its kind in the world to receive five stars for lodging and dining. There is a 14,000-bottle wine cellar. English decorator Joyce Evans has magnificently appointed the Inn's rooms. We prefer Room 9 in the front with a baloney overlooking the front of the building, so we can see the folks from Washington D.C. arrive in their limos. O'Connell has expended his property to include more accommodations. And the gift shop, where George Washington once danced (he surveyed the town in the 1700s), is sure to tempt your pocket book. Don't miss breakfast. I love the trout. The Inn is a special place. Yes, it is expensive. Much more expensive than any of the other five-star hotels we like to stay at--Greenbrier, Jefferson, Williamsburg Inn, Broadmoor, Monmouth. But if you like to be pampered and you love to experience the very best, you have to spend at least one night at the Inn. I've never met anyone who stayed there who said their highest expectations weren't met. The staff is impeccable, mostly young people who are anxious to put the Inn on their resume as they work their way up the ladder in the business. The housekeeping staff is invisible, always appearing in your room after you've left and always gone when you return. How do they do it? Just to find out, I went back to our room during breakfast and caught them. It was all in fun. Everything and everyone at the Inn is so professional. As one young person said: "A recommendation from the Inn on your resume means so much." In 35 years, if Patrick O'Connell has received one negative comment about his pride and joy, I'd like to see it. Make a reservation, a year in advance, and you'll see what I mean.

Room Tip: We prefer Room 9 in the front with a baloney overlooking the street and parking lot. It's a grea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taylor B
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We can’t thank you enough for the time you spent on this very detailed and thoughtful review. You have absolutely captured the essence of The Inn at Little Washington and portrayed exactly the kind of experience we wish for each of our guests. Your words of praise are deeply appreciated by all of us and hearing that each time you have stayed and dined with us your visit has been exceptional makes us very happy. We look forward to seeing you again and again and sincerely thank you for your gracious review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 3 in Flint Hill
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!