“An experience not to be missed”

The Inn at Little Washington
Ranked #3 of 8 Washington B&B and Inns
“An experience not to be missed”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and went to the Inn after a trip to Washington, DC on the recommendation of friends and booked a table in the kitchen (at extra cost) for dinner. To make this short, the service was exceptional, the food was excellent and the inn was classic.

We did the tasting menu and one course was scallops, which my wife can't eat, and 5 minutes later they came with a rock fish dish that was fantastic. It is pricey but worth every penny.

I would highly recommend this for a special occasion or a weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
ny
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I treated my husband to a weekend away to celebrate his 40th birthday. We stayed in suite 16, the Charlie Trotter. It was beautiful and very spacious with a gas fireplace in the sitting room. We had dinner reservations for both Friday and Saturday. Dinner on Friday was phenominal! We did the tasting menu with the suggested wine pairings. Each course was presented with a wonderful explanation. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Saturday evening, we had expectations based on Friday's service. We were very disappointed. The level presentation was totally lacking. Our dishes were placed in front of us with no descriptions. For $300-400 a person, I expect to have the chef's creation quickly explained. Parts of the restaurant were getting stellar service, while our section got Applebees quality 'dump the plate and go'. I did write an email expressing my disappointment but received no acknowledgement minus the automated 'we received your email'. Perhaps we just dined on an off night.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank bluehon
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It is so nice when a place lives up to its reputation! The grounds are lovely, the town itself is charming, the room we stayed in was OFF THE CHARTS nice, and the food is to die for. This place has the only true 5 star restaurant in the vicinity of Washington DC, which is not just the food, but the whole experience.

When you arrive they treat you to a free cocktail and give you a tour of the grounds, you will find snacks and fruit placed in your room, and I think they provided some champagne, as well. A weekend away there will set you back as much as flying to Paris...but for a special get-away, this is worth it. The decor and service is really fantastic!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with a balcony overlooking the garden area. We had breakfast there one mor...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband surprised me for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Even though we had visited about 3 years ago it was like my first time. We were met at the door by a very happy/positive gentleman for valet parking and then we were handed a wonderful drink before being escorted to a parlor room in which we were served afternoon tea and a delicious assortment of breads and cookies. When our room was ready at 3pm as promised we were escorted to the best room (sanctuary) in the place. I am probably bias. A beautiful living room with the bedroom upstairs overlooking the beautifully appointed living space. I felt like I was a Hollywood star!@ There was a separate place to hang our clothes in a hallway that looked more like another separate living space. The bathroom had an oriental flair and it was to die for. Not to mention it included dual shower heads. So there was no fussing over who goes first in the shower. We also had to try out the antique/clawfoot tub. To be honest a person could camp out in the bathroom alone. My only regret is that I only got to enjoy this space for one night. I won't even go into detail about the walkout from the Master bedroom. On a warmer night I can imagine just sitting out there and enjoying the ambiance. But at least I got a chance to see the mountains and the light dusting of snow gave an added romantic effect. It reminded me of our first honeymoon when we visited Switzerland, Austria and Bad Tolz, Germany. As the other reviews reflect this little visit is not for anyone on a strict/tight budget. But more so geared towards those who are trying to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and for those who don't mind dropping some serious cash for some serious luxury treatment!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jesmith1819
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Devine in every way. I like to visit once a year just to celebrate life! The town of Washington Va is utterly charming and the Inn sits comfortably in the center of town, perfect for a stroll after the most enjoyable dinner you will ever experience. There is a reason Patrick and his restaurant have won every award and accolade. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you want to treat yourself like a queen or king this is the place to visit. From the moment you walk in you are greeted like royalty and the feeling continues at all times. Rooms are furnished beautifully and make you feel royal. The food will speak for itself as you delight in each item served. Make your reservations soon and have an experience of a life time.

Room Tip: I believe every room would be perfect
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Don’t ask me how, but they knew our name when we drove up. That set the tone for the weekend, and it stayed pretty much in place the whole time. This inn is a marvelously run and maintained destination, an ultra-luxury destination for a once in a lifetime splurge. We went, it was very expensive, and it was a wonderful experience for my wife’s birthday, well worth it.

On arrival we got a delightful welcome drink, complete with full explanation of what went into it. The entire staff knew our names, and used them throughout. We got a quick tour, starting in the foyer with the real-wood fire going, then to the dining room, the breakfast area, the bar and lounge room, up the stairs past the library and to our room at the end of the hall, #2.

The inn is small and intimate, but the rooms are very quiet. They are magnificently appointed. We went with the junior suite, which had a very nice entry area with closet, opening to the gigantic bathroom and the exquisite bedroom.

The bathroom has both oversize tub, two-person shower, his and her sinks with the entire wall mirrored. Tons of hot water, towels, soaps, and other amenities. The bathroom was spotless, and believe me, I pay attention to this.

The bedroom was very large, dominated by a king-size four-poster canopy bed. There was a very nice gas fireplace, which we used continuously, and which warmed the room quickly and thoroughly. Our room opened to two tiny balconies on the side of the inn and a larger balcony overlooking the back/garden. We went in January, so the three outside doors leaked some cold, but the fire held it back and the heavy curtains kept it at bay at night. There is no mini-bar in the room, no mini-fridge.

The bedroom is sumptuously appointed, with tons of art, architecture and food books and magazines, a fruit basket, inn water bottles, candies, etc. There is an iPod doc player next to the bed, and a CD-player clock/radio in the closet, if you prefer. There is a flat screen TV in the armoire, with a sufficient selection of digital cable channels. The TV system is essentially an expanded residential setup, so although on-demand/PPV selections are offered, you can’t get them. There is no DVD or VCR player.

There is a programmable safe in the closet, which holds a ton of other amenities.

Standard breakfast is included with the room, and is served looking into the garden. There is a selection of four fresh-squeezed juices (cider, melon, orange, a Shenandoah Sunrise), all of them magnificent, unfortunately served in tiny little shot glasses, so all you really get is a taste. Then you get the jam menu and choose from any of the available jams with their own bread. It’s a great, simple breakfast, with a la carte available if you wish (for $25 per person).

While you're at breakfast, they're already into your room, making the bed, tidying up, emptying the wastebaskets, doing everything, so that when you return from eating, your room has already been serviced for the day. And if you go out, they'll be right back in to make sure everything is perfect when you return. During dinner they come in again and do turn-down for you so that when you return it is all set to go. I loved this aspect of the service.

The only hiccup was on our second and final morning, when the breakfast staff totally blew the table selections. I asked for a glass of ice, and then asked again. The third try got it brought to the table. They brought our jam selection to the table across from us, and we got theirs. Then they brought an omelet to the table across from us, with the gentleman saying he didn’t order it, but that he’d be happy to eat it anyway. They handed it to him without apparently realizing someone else had ordered it, and he tucked right into it. This took place as the table behind us was asking where the omelet was they’d ordered. Oops. Now, this is not the end of the world, not even close, but for what you’re paying for lodging at this location, I expected perfect service, and this wasn’t perfect.

Bottom line: the lodging is quite expensive, and the food is every bit as expensive. But, small glitches aside, it is a truly wonderful experience and a worthwhile splurge, for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her birthday weekend there, as did I, and I heartily recommend this location.

Room Tip: We chose a junior suite, more expensive, but slightly larger, and worth it for the stay, given that...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rugby007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
The Mimslyn Inn
Caledonia Farm - 1812  B&B
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
#2 of 2 in Flint Hill
Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!