“Great experience”

Mediterranean Cellars
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Warrenton
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I h.ave. been going to Mediterranean sellers for a few years now. The Reds are exceptional and I even found some whites that I like. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and most of the time remembers us when we come in. It is truly a family there and you can tell all their time and care shows through In the wine.
I don'gentleman below me is talking about . most of the staff has been there for a long time at least a year if not 5 to 7 Years

There are newer reviews for Mediterranean Cellars

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Pros: Family owned and operated, beautiful area, good view, many wines, generous pours
Cons: Average atmosphere in tasting room, newer staff

I decided to check out this winery after finding out that it's family owned and operated by the same Papadopoulos family which also owns and operates the Molon Lave Vineyards.

Overview:

Located in Fauquier County, Mediterranean Cellars Winery is just about 5 miles Northwest a Warrenton, Virginia. Family-owned and operated, by the Papadopoulos family, with over forty years of wine-making experience. The property has been owned for 25 years, and opened the winery in 2003, crafting hand-made classic and regional varietals. The tasting room combines an "old world" atmosphere and breathtaking views from our comfortable patio.

My experience:

It was a little cold and windy the day I visited, which was unfortunate due to the area and outside seating and views providing a relaxing outside experience. I was glad to have the nice drive off of a main road, it made the feeling of an actual winery and left the busy and rushed feeling behind. The exterior of the winery was decorated to give you the feel of the Greek family, yet not overwhelming. The interior was a little more plain then I imagined but still provided the comfortable tasting room experience.

I was greeted by Leah Papadopoulos and Birgitta. It was earlier in the day on a Friday, the winery only had one other couple there and they were getting ready to leave, which I was happy to have the tasting room with little distractions to myself. Birgitta was newer to the winery, she was very friendly and seemed to have a passion for the wines she was learning about and serving. Although she worked off some of the notes she had written down, she was able to describe them well and the pours were very generous :) I was hoping to have the tasting provided by Leah to learn more about the history first hand, but I enjoyed the tasting non-the-less.

The wines had a unique feel and taste to them, definitely tribute to the Greek family style and traditions of the winemaker. They have a good variety of whites and reds, with a few sweeter style wines, to include Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Moscato (not sweet), Viognier, Chambourcin, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and two other sweeter style. Overall, I liked most of the wines but I was hoping for a few more unique type wines, like Molon Lave had.

Overall:

I would recommend this winery. The location is a nice relaxing area, away from the highway. The area surrounding and inside the winery provides a good feel, but not as great as other wineries offer. Although Birgitta was newer to serving, she provided a great experience and good pours throughout the tasting. The wines are pretty good and I would definitely return for a few glasses or bottle of a few favorites, although I will say they may not stand to the level of other wineries in the area. If for some reason you don't favor the wines, there's another winery eyesight from this one. However, the Papadopoulos family has two great wineries established, and I would love to have another one to visit!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

In May 2013 we visited Mediterranean Cellars for a wine tasting with 2 other couples from out of state. What a wonderful experience. Everyone was very knowledgeable and the wines were very good. Maybe even more importantly, they were so welcoming and made us want to extend our stay and have a tour, but we had to leave after the wine tasting, but will definitely go back. There is a very reasonable fee for the wine tasting, but no charge for a tour or the view!!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went here on a Monday holiday and were surprised we were the only ones there but by the time we left it was very busy. We did the tasting then had cheese and crackers and a bottle on the deck. Wonderful Greek hospitality. We were able to enjoy our snacks and pay afterwards. The most fun was the olive oil tasting in the back room. We bought a bottle to take home. The oils are from Greece. Try the blood orange!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We came here several months ago (when the cicadas were singing) and did a tasting with the lovely matriarch of the family. She not only shared stories of the wine but of her family and Greece. We had a bottle of the 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon reserve from the winery tonight to celebrate our anniversary. I hope the Yaya is pleased....hopefully some of the good fortune of her family and their product (which is lovely) will rub off .

1  Thank new_vinophiles