“quaint country escape from the frenzy of DC”
Review of Black Horse Inn

Black Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Warrenton B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2011

my wife and i stayed here for our anniversary. we arrived just prior to the check-in time of 4pm and wandered the grounds for a bit before checking in. the check-in process was quite personable. beyond that, all amenities within this incredibly old home function properly, the decor is exactly what you'd expect to find in Virginia's hunt country, and the personnel staffing the place were all quite nice and eager to offer up history lessons on the home's and property's history. candidly, aside from the time we spent sleeping, we were probably only on the property for an additional 2-3 hours, as we spent a good deal of time in the town of warrenton walking/shopping/eating.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Black Horse Inn

Reviewed June 20, 2011

The grounds are beautiful, the house is comfortable, well-appointed and replete with amenities. You arrive to a plateful of assorted cookies, sherry, port, and wine and cheese which is all included in the price of the room. If our bathroom sink had drained properly and if I could have found all of the available packages online before arriving, I would have given 5 stars. I forgot to mention the sink while there or before I left but sure could have used some flowers and chocolate covered strawberries if you know what I mean!

We will be back as it is only a two hour drive and near to a fantastic spa (Poplar Springs) and the Manor House Restaurant which has wonderful food. Warrenton is a quaint, small VA town that is slowly being swallowed by DC so don't linger too long before you go and don't pay attention to the one negative review as that certainly sounds like a bad experience but everyone is entitled to one event gone awry.

It is obvious the owners are personally involved in the operation of the property as their personal touchs are everywhere.

Room Tip: Not a chance! We will be back!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The grounds of this Inn are beautiful and well kept. The Inn itself is attractive and relaxing. The owner, Lynn, and the innkeeper, Pam, made me feel at home. My suite (Great Expectations) was nice, spacious and comfortable and included it's own enclosed porch with a view of the grounds. This Inn hosts many weddings and I would recommend it as a wedding location or for a horse country getaway. There are good nearby restaurants in Warrenton.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I immediately fell in love with the setting of the inn; it's an artist's or photographer's dream! The house, which we had to ourselves for two nights, was pleasantly old and elegant both inside and out. It was roomy, interesting, and comfortable. Movies, books, fruit, cookies, soft drinks, wine, sherry, and port were constantly available and inviting. Last, but not least, Pam, the innkeeper who was responsible for the delicious treats and scrumptious breakfasts, was friendly, sincere, helpful and still managed to give us privacy. Who could ask for more for an anniversary getaway!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank groening
Reviewed April 28, 2011

In a word: tacky.

My husband and I held our Spring 2011 wedding at the Black Horse Inn, with a guest list of 100. The price seemed quite high, but we were assured we had the property for the weekend and would be able to hold the rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony and reception there.

Our first problem was the fact that the 10:00pm end time was not well communicated to us until after we had signed the contract. For us, this was early and ended up requiring an after party. We had trouble throughout the process getting clear communication from the venue, as did several of our guests. Little things kept popping up, taking away from the 'compressive' price. For example, after telling us that the venue would provide sparklers for the (9:55pm) departure of the bride and groom, I noticed the contract required us to provide the basket and matches for said sparklers. Ok. I asked about this at our month out meeting and was then told the sparklers weren't included. Don't sell this as your trademark thing if all you're doing is adding another chore to my wedding to-do list!

The worst was when we told her of our plans to have our rehearsal dinner at the Inn - included in the comprehensive weekend rental - and received a bill for more than 1200$, despite having a full service caterer for the event. We argued this down to 700$. She offered us free linens for the rehearsal dinner picnic, then turned around and charged us for them, accosting my husband for the extra 250$ the moment he arrived on the property.

I was really disappointed by the way the owner and her staff treated my other vendors. The owner consistently trash talked our catering manager, who was amazing. She was condescending to our very bright and well organized coordinators. Frankly, she talked to the other vendors as though they were 'the help.'

Once the weekend of the event came around, the disappointment continued. We had prepaid for all of the rooms, per her policy, but about half of our guests were being billed. Each guest was 'welcomed' with a typed note demanding payment before 6pm the first day they arrived and every single room was billed over by 25$ per night; that totaled a difference of nearly 600$. So much for hunt country hospitality! We had prepaid these rooms, so in their ledger, Black Horse already had the money - why was it necessary to bill before people had unpacked? Most guests complained about beds being too soft, duvets with stains, wasps in their rooms and threadbare towels. Noise traveled an embarrassing amount and staff could never be found when you needed them. I was embarrassed by how shabby the Inn was after talking it up to my friends and family for nearly nine months.

I was called into the kitchen to sign off on the final day-of scheduled the night before, at which point the housekeeper managed to ruin a surprise my husband had been working on for weeks by telling me the bottle of 2002 Dom and Tiffany's bracelet would be brought to my room the next morning. Husband was livid. I was confused when it arrived at 10am, but equally livid when more than a third of the bottle was *dumped out* that afternoon during photos. That was literally several hundred dollars worth of delicious, sentimental champagne. I should note they did leave a bag of snack sized Cool Ranch Doritos with two chips left.

Other day-of SNAFUs included the owner pestering me (the bride) ten minutes before the ceremony for paperwork the venue had failed to follow through on. Despite including all mixers in our bar package, the owner insisted she wasn't responsible for the grenadine we'd told her we needed for our signature cocktail. Half an hour before our cocktail hour, she argued with our catering manager and coordinator over it for ten minutes despite all parties remembering the issue being settled in our 'month out' meeting. My husband was expected to move his luggage (himself) into the bridal suite at around 11am on the wedding day. My coordinators won't even tell me some of the other stories. As we took post ceremony pictures, one took me aside and said, "You're having a beautiful day, but never, ever recommend this venue to another bride."

At the end of the day, we had a great day and our wedding went very well. However, credit for this goes to my coordinators, catering manager, and photographer more than anything else. I can honestly say that the grounds of Black Horse Inn are beautiful and the function room (Gilded Fox) is equally beautiful. (However, several caterers told me it had insufficient working warming ovens, so do be sure your caterer is prepared!) The Inn itself needs a serious facelift and Lynn needs an attitude adjustment. We found the constant nickel-and -diming gauche and graceless. I left the property feeling 'had' and wrung out more than anything else.

I'd hoped to find a place we'd fall in love with and sentimentally return to on anniversaries. We won't be returning.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
25  Thank carleton2004
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Black Horse Inn is amazing! I stayed in the Hunt Box Suite for a couple nights just as spring was emerging. What a fabulous spot for my vacation / retreat. The grounds are spectacular, the staff couldn't be nicer and I look forward to a return visit next year. They're famous for being a great venue for weddings and I can see why. A bride can't go wrong and the photos will be right out of a storybook fantasy.

Room Tip: Hunt Box has great view of horses
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2011

The interior, the furnishings, the staff, the grounds are all focussed on providing a relaxing gracious stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenton
Airlie
Hampton Inn Gainesville-Haymarket
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville
#2 of 3 in Gainesville

Been to Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!