“Great Food and Spirits”
Review of Black Bear Bistro

Black Bear Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Bear Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 86 Restaurants in Warrenton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Combining the best of farm fresh local and organic ingredients with old-fashioned family value, Black Bear Bistro serves up generous portions of great food at very reasonable pricing. All dishes are prepared to order using the finest produce, herbs, cheeses, breads and meats. Meals are complemented by excellent Virginia wines plus on tap are a great selection of Virginia brewed draft beer selections … or try one of our signature martinis – all served by a friendly, attentive staff!Black Bear Bistro & Cellar is open daily. On Monday & Tuesday, we are open for lunch only, from 11am – 5pm. Wednesday through Sunday, lunch is served from 11am to 4pm. We serve what our patrons consider the ‘Best Lunch in Warrenton’, featuring the highest quality and tastiest food that is well worth the time it takes to prepare from scratch. Plus our Quick Lunch section satisfies our hastiest of lunch patrons who need to get in and out promptly, but still leave with a smile of satisfaction.Wednesday through Sunday, from 4pm – 9pm ( and until 10pm on Friday and Saturday ), Black Bear Bistro & Cellar shifts over to the Dinner Menu adding sumptuous entrees to our list of famous burgers and sandwiches. Chef Eisenhauer also creates a special menu each night to feature dishes he’s created for that night alone!In addition to our several indoor dining areas, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar also boasts of an outdoor patio complete with wrought iron chairs and tables covered by lovely umbrellas for shade. The patio is open seasonally and is pet friendly. Bring your furry or feathered friends to join you while you enjoy a lovely meal alfresco! While the indoor areas of Black Bear Bistro & Cellar are non-smoking, we do allow smoking outside on the patio.Whether it’s a casual lunch, a hearty dinner or a special occasion, Black Bear Bistro & Cellar has flexible dining spaces which can be combined to accommodate small to medium size receptions, parties, business lunches or meetings to suit your needs and budget.
Amissville
“Great Food and Spirits”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We eat here often and it's always great! Romantic atmosphere with excellent service! The menu appeals to many due to the variety of items.

• Visited August 2012

Arlington, Virginia
“Great Lunch Place”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Nice pub with a good variety of sandwiches. Again the Lobster Mac N Cheese lived up to its billing and is the go to here. Nice break from winery or Warrenton shopping.

Visited July 2012
Haymarket, Virginia
“Extremely poor service”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Last night we celebrated my husband's birthday with 7 of our family and friends. We chose this restaurant based on the past reviews of the food and the wonderful outdoor patio. It was a really nice evening and we really wanted to sit outside to enjoy the weather as we've not been able to do that over the past several weeks due to the heat. The outdoor patio was wonderful and they had a table that was perfect for us to easily enjoy our family and friends. However, that was immediately interrrupted by our waiter. He gave us our dinner menus and asked us all what we would like to drink. We took the opportunity to let him know that we were celebrating my husband's birthday and we then asked for a wine/drink menu, we were told that they didn't have one so we were forced to ask for a type of wine rather than by a particular wine which lead to us not ordering a bottle for the table as we had no idea what wine we would be receiving. We then ordered our food beginning w/ appetizers and the food was good and arrived quickly. We had to call out to the waiter to get refills of water and drinks even though there were only a few people on the patio and it was not busy inside the restaurant. Upon finishing our meal, the waiter appeared to be in a hurry and asked us if we would like anything else and we asked if we could see the dessert menu since it was my husband's birthday. We were told that they didn't have dessert menus and that they had 3 desserts consisting of a chocolate torte, key lime pie and carrot cake. We each ordered dessert which was promply delivered. A few minutes later, we were handed the bill without asking if we would like anything else or if everything had been okay. Again, since we were there for a celebration of a special "numbered" birthday, I had made the decision to pay for everyones meals and to pay with cash. I placed enough cash in the payment folder to cover the meal but only had $20 dollar bills so there was an add'l $11 in the folder. An 18% tip had been added to the bill which was more than I would have paid this particular waiter for his service but didn't complain. The waiter came and took the money and said that he would return shortly with the change and I said, ok thank you. We continued with our lively discussions with our friends and family and waited approximately 15-20 minutes and I asked everyone at the table if I had somehow missed the waiter's return. Everyone agreed that the waiter had not returned and each stated that they had been sitting there a bit baffled because they had heard the waiter state that he would return and that he had not returned to the patio at all. One of our friends stated that she would go into the restaurant to ask for the waiter to return with our cash since she had had some waitressing experience very early in her working career and she was also upset by the poor service we had received. She returned a few minutes later stating that the waiter was nowhere to be found and that she had spoken to the manager to explain our situation. The manager stated that the waiter had probably assumed that the add'l $11 was over and above the 18% tip and had kept the change. He then asked our friend to make an inquiry to us as to how we would like to handle the situation. Upon hearing this, I was extremely upset that this waiter who had not provided anything close to good service had taken the add'l money without us stating that he should keep the change or to even return the change to us to allow us to make a decision of what to do with the extra money. I then told my friend that based on these reasons, I would like to extra money back. She had to then go back into the restaurant to seek out the manager once more and he returned with her this time with our change. He was obviously embarrassed by the situation and apologized stating that the waiter had probably assumed that the extra money was for him and that he had left for the evening. I explained that I had never been faced with a situation like this before as any waiter or waitress that I had ever encountered had always returned the extra cash to the table unless I had explicitly stated to please keep the change as their tip. At this point, the manager didn't know what else to say so he gave us our change and again apologized and went back into the restaurant. Based on the poor service and what could be considered "theft", none of our party will ever return to this restaurant. I am still baffled as to how a #6 rated restaurant in the town of Warrenton could handle a situation like this and not offer any other explanation or even offer an enticement of any sort to encourage us to give them another chance by returning. Again, we will not revisit this restaurant and will not recommend it to any of our friends who frequent the restaurants in Warrenton on a regular basis.

• Visited July 2012
Rockville, MD
“Lucky find!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I were driving back to Maryland Sunday late afternoon after a weekend near Charlottesville, and we decided to stop in Warrenton for dinner since it was about halfway. Unfortunately I had not brought my info on restaurants there, so we just parked downtown and walked a couple of blocks either way. When we saw the Black Bear Bistro menu we decided to give it a chance, and we're glad we did.

We were given a choice of sitting upstairs (street level) or downstairs, and chose upstairs because it looked bright and airy. The seating area also has a bar but there was only one person there; the bar had a TV but the sound was low or muted. There was a great music soundtrack that seemed to be mostly 70s soft rock (Linda Ronstadt, Elton John, Eagles, Don McLean, etc.).

Although the vegetarian and vegan items on the menu sounded interesting, we decided instead on a bleu cheese burger for my husband and lobster macaroni and cheese for me. The burger was done as requested (medium rare) and came with tasty seasoned fries. I wasn't sure what to expect with the lobster mac and cheese, but although it was not outstanding it was good comfort food with a reasonable amount of lobster pieces (especially considering the price was only $9.95). We do pass by Warrenton a few times a year, and we'll definitely come back to this bistro and try other items on the menu.

• Visited June 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great menu and pet-friendly patio.”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were looking for a place with outdoor seating so we could bring our mutt, Bode. Black Bear Bistro not only allows pets, but takes care of them. Our waiter brought out a bowl of water without even asking. Beyond that, the menu was not huge, but everyone will find something to enjoy. The green bean tempura was a great starter, and the catfish entree did not disappoint. Very pleased with the Black Bear Bistro.

• Visited June 2012