“Romantic and Quaint B&B”

Inn at Gristmill Square
Ranked #1 of 5 Warm Springs B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great place for a weekend gateway. The rooms re spacious ,clean and romantic. You have the Jefferson pools, natural warmsprings only a mile away. Prices are about normal . They will bring a continental breakfast to your room each morning. Adjacent to the rooms is the Waterwheel restaurant, the food is excellent, though little high priced, but worth it for a special weekend. Wine cellar where you may choose your wine if you wish. Enjoyed my weekend very much.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Steele house in quilt room. Beautiful room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GristmillSquare, Owner at Inn at Gristmill Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent visit to the inn. We hope that your travels find you in our area again. If there is anything we can do to make a future stay more enjoyable please do not hesitate to ask. Best, Kate and John

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I just returned from a three-night stay at Gristmill Square. It was truly lovely. We stayed in The Tower which had two bathrooms (two toilets, two sinks, one with tub/shower). The kitchen was adequate with a small sink, dorm-size frig and entrance to a nice deck. The living room was perfect for us; we were 4 women from as close as Lexington, VA and as far away as Charleston, SC. There was a nice fireplace which was supplied daily with fire-starting supplies and firewood. There was a large screen TV but we didn't get around to turning it on. One surprising feature is the heated tile floor in the living room. The restaurant ambiance is very nice with candles, tablecloths, no electronics allowed and good food. There's a small bar area which we meant to use but never got around to. My favorite part was that you could have your breakfast delivered. Our breakfast was a large portion of vanilla yogurt with cereal and blueberries, a sweet pastry and a savory pastry, freshly-squeezed OJ, coffee and/or tea all delivered in a basket. There were also chocolate chip cookies for us in our 'rooms' when we arrived. We had 4" of snow and the staff obligingly came out and swept the snow off my car (I live in SC and have NO snow equipment). Views were pleasing from all our windows.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Ladies, thank you for such a nice review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Tower. It really seemed like the perfect room for you. We hope that if you plan another getaway you will opt to meet here again. Next time please bring some SC sunshine, we could have used it in March when it seemed to snow here every other day. Best, Kate and John

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The service, food, and accomodations are superb. We had stayed here several times over years, however the new owners (John and Kate) have Elevated the dining and service to something really special. Recommend spending more than one night so one can truely relax and enjoy this Inn and surrounding countryside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a nice review. It was great to meet you and chat with you the morning of your checkout. I always love meeting folks from my hometown :). We hope that we see you again soon. Best, Kate

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My friend and I went for a girls weekend. We were both impressed with the attention to detail and both loved the Silo Room we stayed in, I don't know how to describe it other then it goes beyond a hotel/resort room. The continental breakfast that is complimentary consisted of fresh baked goods, fresh OJ, yogurt with granola and coffee that was delicious! The Waterwheel Restaurant had amazing food and quite a wine selection! I apologize if this review seems all over the place but just didn't know where to start...we are planning another girls weekend and try another room! You won't regret booking a stay here! Just a side note but on our day of check out we wanted to get ahead of the traffic and left early and they offered us breakfast and coffee on the go, it's that kind of attention to detail that both my friend and I were both very impressed with!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Ladies, thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Silo. It seemed like you both had a great girls getaway. We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit. All the best, Kate and John

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I’ve stayed at the Inn at Gristmill Square on several occasions and it is starting to become one of my favorite places to get away from it all. The inn is nestled in a valley and after a beautiful scenic drive in the mountains (I’ve joked that these mountains remained me of Costa Rica – windy but beautiful) to get to Warm Springs, you’ll arrive in a quaint village of several buildings that are all part of the inn.

The new owners seem to be stepping up their game every time I come back. It was already one of my favorite places when the previous owners own the Gristmill. However, nothing can beat continuous improvement where possible.

For the breakfast that is delivered to your room, there was also improvement and change. Last February when I stayed at the inn, we were served chocolate croissants and yogurt/granola in a wine glass – that was enough to satisfy and impress me. During a summer stay, we were served blueberry scones and yogurt/granola in mason jars, which was pretty adorable. For this stay, breakfast changed every day. The first morning, we were served biscuits (one of my favorite treats every time I cross south of the Mason-Dixon line) with Virginia ham with honey and orange marmalade – this in itself was divine! Accompanying this were some of the best blueberry scones that I’ve ever had and yogurt with granola and blueberries. I do admit, we were hoping to get the same breakfast the next day since that breakfast was nothing short of spectacular, but I think that the breakfast changed possibly due to a previous Tripadvisor complaint that the breakfast was the same – can’t please everyone. With that said, the breakfast for the next couple of days was also good and since it was different, we got to experience different foods (cinnamon roll, cheese and ham croissant, egg soufflé, fresh squeezed o.j. and fresh coffee).

Dinner at the Waterwheel restaurant was also great. Although, we ate too much lunch to finish everything, so we packed up a lot of it, including a more than half-full bottle of wine and dessert with ice cream to go. We ended up eating the dessert shortly after and saved the rest for the next day’s dinner at home, which was a nice treat after a long drive back home.

Some things to do while at the Gristmill:
1. Hiking at Hidden Valley trails (very close to the Inn and you get to see where Somersby was filmed). There are plenty of other trails too.
2. Explore Hot Springs (has some restaurants and shops – The Homestead also has shops)
3. Soak in the Jefferson pools (This is a must. Several Presidents have soaked in this pool, including Jefferson and Madison, and we were told that the structure was the original structure from the 1700s)
4. Take a scenic drive along route 39.
5. Visit the Garth Newel center for music. The staff and supporters there are very nice and welcoming and the scenery is breathtaking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GristmillSquare, Owner at Inn at Gristmill Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you so much for a review that made us smile ear to ear when reading! We have stepped up breakfast a bit and we are glad you noticed. Since we took over, breakfast was one of our biggest struggles. What to do? How to do it? Well we finally found, what we hope is, the right mix of items to please everyone, yes we are going to attempt that. Reading about your enjoyment of breakfast just confirms that what we are doing is a step in the right direction. We hope that you will get away to our area again and stay with us on future occasions. If there is ever anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable please do not hesitate to ask. Kind Regards, Kate and John Loeffler

Reviewed February 3, 2013

If you are looking forward to a relaxing stay at a comfortable, cozy Inn this is the right place. We stayed Saturday Feb. 2 in the Bromley room. The room was preheated ahead of time. It was extremely clean. The staff was great as well. It was snowing when we arrived so we decided to ask the front desk for reservations at the Water Wheel restaurant on the property. The meal was absolutely wonderful as was our server. Our dinner was superb and the desserts were fabulous. We had high expectations for the breakfast next morning. It was touted as the breakfast in bed Inn. You have to call and they bring it right to your room. I must say it was very, very quick. It arrived in a quaint basket. Inside the basket was 2 mason jars with what was a stone cold yogurt, cereal and fruited pie topping combo. It was complemented by 2 chocolate chip scones. The scones proved to be stone cold as well and as dry as an Arizona desert in late August. They were terrible! This breakfast was the “breakfast you would not want to get out of bed for”. We drank the coffee and I had tea. The only “black “ tea they had was Earl Grey. Earl Grey is a fine sipping tea but it is a not great with food. The bergamot overs take other favors. Please stock a good black tea.
At check out, I took the scones down and let them know how bad it was. I was told the house keeping staff was in charge of the morning breakfasts. I immediately knew exactly why the breakfast was so dismal. They did ask if they could get us something else. I declined because we were all packed and leaving to go home. I have to say that the breakfast is the reason why I can only give the Inn a grade B minus when otherwise it would have been an A plus. We would look forward to going back if they improve the breakfast making it as great as the rest of the place.

Room Tip: Ask for the Bromley it has a wood burning fireplace and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GristmillSquare, Owner at Inn at Gristmill Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. Again we apologize that our continental breakfast was not up to par for you. After we spoke I immediately went to the kitchen to discuss breakfast with our chef (who carefully plans out each breakfast and leaves instructions for our very competent housekeepers to follow when preparing breakfast each morning). A room that checked out after you raved about breakfast and stated they were so impressed since it is advertised as a mere continental. We hope that your breakfast experience was just a fluke since I got no other complaints or issues. We are certainly sorry about that. We do hope that you will return and enjoy breakfast as our other guests do. As for tea, we do just carry a limited variety of teas. Our offerings include, English breakfast, earl grey, green, mint, and chamomile. We are open to other suggestion for a breakfast tea that we might not have in stock. Again, thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon. Best, Kate and John

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent a delightful long weekend at the Gristmill Inn this month - January. I can only imagine how beautiful the area is in spring/summer/fall. I enjoyed everything about my stay there - the warm, cozy rooms with each room having it's own private bathroom, tv and wifi. The food at the restaurant was excellent and I loved the breakfast delivered to the room (something different each day). The owners have done a wonderful job with the inn and they were on site attending to all the details that make a stay there so very pleasant. I will definitely return if I get the opportunity.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate your feedback. It is great to learn that you enjoyed your experience and hope to return soon. We are very delighted to know that you loved your breakfast and dinner. We hope to see you again in the not too distant future! Best, Kate and John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warm Springs
#1 of 6 in Marlinton
Fort Lewis Lodge
Fort Lewis Lodge
#1 of 1 in Millboro

Been to Inn at Gristmill Square? Share your experiences!