All reviewswaterwheel restaurantbreakfast in bedwater wheelyogurthot springshardware storejefferson poolsbasket of goodiesloft roomeach morningtroutbabbling brookwestern virginiaold millnice linensbarley roomvirginia mountains
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Gristmill Inn near Warm Springs is an assemblage of very old buildings with only 17 rooms, along with the restaurant (at the Mill with extant wheel), pub, terrace, and office/store. The varied buildings remain grouped around what is now a courtyard, making it feel like what it is - a very small, old, town center. Several other historic buildings and yards fall away at the charming intersection, lined by two creeks, with wooden walk bridges and many country flower beds. Our room, Jennie Payne, was charming and the real deal - really a suite with a large dressing room, separate toilet, and hall with fridge. (Fans of hotel chains need not apply!) Our room was next to the dreamy , flowered balcony overlooking the country road. Wish we had time/$$$ for the spa treatments; the rooms look marvelous! Lovely continental breakfast delivered to your room at the time you request. Affordable $110 is made up (for them) from at least that for dinner for two!!! (I usually wish I had gotten two appetizers.) Warm Springs has two excellent, tasteful art galleries as well as the not-to-be-missed historic Jefferson Pools. The natural beauty of Virginia makes me wonder why I spend all that money on France!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank yellowroz
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We took the Tower Suite last week as I was travelling with my family. It had two comfortable bedrooms, a large living room with fireplace, kichen and 1.5 baths. The rooms were simply furnished and clean though they had not been updated for many years. If you want modern, do not stay here. The charm is in the feel of the compound and the atmosphere.
We checked in late and the room was waiting for us with the air cond on 9which we appreciated because it was a very hot day, even in the mountains) and the key on the table in the front hall. They did not ask me for a credit card. Very friendly.
The restuarant in the Inn is fantastic. The specialty is trout and we ate it 4 different ways! Great dinner.
In the morning we called as instructed and were promptly delivered baskets of fruit, danish, and bagels with hot coffee and fresh juice. Delicious.
This is a country Inn with empasis on COUNTRY... Well done and well priced.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank wacka
Reviewed July 13, 2005

A client put my husband and I up at the Gristmill while at the Homestead on a business trip. There was a cute little deck at the restaurant where we sat outside and talked, had desert which looked very good, although I didn't have any. The rooms were charming, classical in style. The bathroom had a tub and shower, they were very clean and white. In the morning you can dial 0 for continental breakfast which is brought to your room in a little picnic basket. Muffins, scones, milk, coffee, tea, juice. There is a little bit of a musty smell, but you get used to it in the first several minutes, its an old gristmill. It is only a 5 minute drive to the Homestead if you are visiting the Hot Springs/Warm Springs area.

4  Thank Inspiration1339
Reviewed May 27, 2005

My husband and I stayed for the May 24, 2005, long weekend (Canadian), which takes place the weekend before the (U.S.) Memorial Day weekend. While the Inn definitely has potential as a romantic getaway, I was disappointed in several aspects of the Inn's hostelry: portions of our room were grubby and had not been dusted in recent memory, as evidenced by dessicated remains of ladybugs on the lampshade decking (undisturbed throughout our stay); furnishings were very beat up and mostly just plain tacky; switches for bathroom fans, heat & lights did not function in addition to being filthy; the compressor on the (fake woodgrain mac-tac covered) bar fridge in the room was very noisy; the bed sagged so in the middle we kept rolling into each other (hey, we're "of a certain age" & need our uninterfered-with sleep, too, sometimes); the nice sitting balcony off the 2nd floor hall outside our room was filthy - a simple wipe-down daily would make it appealing for coffee in the morning or drinks before dinner). Although I generally don't go to romantic inns to watch TV, my middle-aged eyes couldn't see the 13" TV across the room well enough to watch the news in the morning. The Inn does not serve breakfast or lunch in its restaurant except Sunday brunch. They do deliver a continental breakfast, upon request each morning, in a basket delivered to the room. It contained coffee (or tea), orange juice & baked goods (mediocre - undercooked muffin & scone) with condiments. The Inn volunteered fruit (a small bowl of diced apples, strawberries & bananas each) when we called & declined the baked goods on the 2nd morning. That said, the meals we had in the restaurant (1 dinner, 1 Sunday brunch) were quite good & service was fine & friendly. The local brook trout was good, as was duck with fruit sauce. Before dinner, the part-owner, Bruce, served in the tiny bar (like a "snug" in a British hotel), got my husband's beer order from the short menu of imported beers wrong, but was friendly & conversation with a couple of locals & Bruce made one feel as if this could be a good "local" or pub. The brunch was also good. With a little time & attention to maintenance & detail, this would be a good quiet inn for the money: $85 per night double room, not high season.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank LQW
Reviewed August 3, 2003

The Inn is friendly and well-located, but ultimately not good value.
For the price ($120), we expected better than drab old linens, dark rooms, and boring continental breakfast. There were many nice touches, such as a little cheese basket and newspaper on arrival, and daily ice delivery, but there were ugly stains on the dust ruffle and only one openable window. Recommended, with reservations.

19  Thank Janeite