“unique experience”

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“unique experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We decided to take a drive on a crisp clear Saturday morning to visit the Jefferson Pools and arrived just in time for family time (where men and women are clothed and can share same pool). We did not know what the cost but assumed from the property condition it would be low, it was $17.00 a person and we stayed for just under 2 hours. I thought the cost was high considering the up keep was so poor. The little dressing rooms that used dollar store shower curtains for doors were very cold so we changed quickly but chill was quickly removed when we stepped into the pool. We went to the men's pool which was deeper and used the noodles they supply to float, it was quiet and peaceful and only about 8 other people there. We enjoyed our visit and this seems to be the most affordable price to enjoy the hot springs in the area. They are over 200 years old so you are sharing in a historical experience which makes it worth it.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank mimi1971

Staunton, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“magical & historic”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is one of my very favorite places to go in Virginia. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, these historic bathhouses put up whorls of steam in the wintry air. The water is perfectly clear, restful and peaceful. The bottom of the pool is natural rock, and there is a wonderful outflow pipe where the spring water flows out of the pool and back into the stream. Getting under the flow of water is like standing beneath a waterfall. Wonderful! I could have laid there in the water all day!

The Jefferson Pools are a very special place to visit--both for their natural loveliness, the mineral water, and the buildings' remarkable history. Hopefully, a strong level of interest and concern from the public will inspire the new owners to lovingly restore the historic buildings. It's distressing to see them losing shingles and paint when they are clearly such remarkable structures.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank virginialuv
Virginia Beach, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“One of the coolest landmarks in Virginia”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

If you haven't been to the Jefferson hot springs pools it is a MUST visit spot. The natural hot springs are surrounded by the original enclosures built by Thomas Jefferson who used to bathe in them. They are very large hot pools with clear dark turquoise colored water and you can see the water bubbling at times. It is an incredible historic landmark and one of my favorite spots in VA. The enclosures are clearly very old and pretty run down but I think this only adds to the mystery and beauty of the place.

I recommend checking the hours because certain times are reserved for nude bathing.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank rosehaus
Richmond, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Taking the waters with Jefferson”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

The experience: We were just in the women's bathhouse but there is one for men. There are also a couple hours in the day set aside for families- ie co-ed.

When you got into the building you were given a towel and sent along a narrow wooden walkway that surrounds the pool that has small dressing rooms on the outside wall-for changing and leaving your clothes. After changing, it is a few steps down the stairs into the pool. There are floaty noodles to hold on to and then you just rest and soak.

Ok here's the good and bad....
The place is super rickety and rundown with peeling paint and cracks in the walls and ceilings. That however isn't a negative- it is super charming in its own way. It gives it a great deal of character. I loved floating in the water and looking all around- the ceiling has clear panels and intricate woodwork. You definitely feel like you are experiencing the exact soak that Jefferson did.

The water is 98 degrees- not super hot but perfect. It was about 45 degrees outside and being in the water was ideal.

The big negative for us was that the bathrooms were out of order. You would think that with the pools being now owned by the Homestead resort that they could send over a plumber.

We had a great time and stayed about 1.5 hours. It was well worth it and if we didn't have to head on to Staunton we would have stayed longer.

My big worry is that the Homestead will "update" it and it will lose it's slightly creepy but nostalgic charm. We hope to come back before that happens.

Fryeburg, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Jefferson Pool helps with skin problems”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My worst complaint about Jefferson Pool is that the hours of 12 noon to 5 pm are too short.

One time several years ago, I just drove on past here because it was closed. Some people have skin problems that are making them frantic and they really need this place that heals them to be open at night and early morning hours.

The next thing I noticed was that the walls really need washing and some fresh paint.

The water comes up to your neck and the rocks on the floor of the pool really give it a nice atmosphere.

After 2pm, family hours are over and no men are allowed into the woman's pool and no woman are allowed in the mens' pool and it feels especially safe.

I filled up a gallon bottle with water to take back to my hotel room and this helped me when my eczema came back hours later. Two hour-long stays in this pool were enough to get rid of my skin problems for a while and at this time, my skin is still improved. I also filled up a jug of water to take home with me and this is still helping with the skin problems remaining.

Visited November 2013