TripAdvisor
Pulau Sibu
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews hot water get away mosquito net sea gypsy jungle walk great weekend boat trip low tide doors and windows baby oil family chalet the food is great sound of the waves couple of nights friday night chinese new year birthday cake
Selected filters
Reviewed August 11, 2015

We visited Rimba few weeks ago and must tell you it was a big surprise for me that resort!! I was reading just good reviews about it , but when I got there , I understand why that place has always rooms when in other resorts ( in weekends or national holidays ) you cannot find anything and you need to book in advance. ....The answer is really simple: RIMBA is not good at all!!!
In fact, the rooms do not have doors, do not have windows, insects ....everywhere in the room- while is open roof, just cold shower( !!!) and on top of that .... dirty sheets, really dirty mosquito net.....
Also,I was finding in the bed a truly feast: hundreds of ants eating a cockroach!!! I wish I could have live the place strate away.... but you cannot because there are not ferries...
Food- kind of ok, but take care.... soft drinks- at first they say that there are free, but when the bill comes....they charge you !!!!
The diving centre and the 2 Switz ( Simon and red hair girl, wife, or whatever...) are just unpleasant. They try to convince you as you stepped on the island to take their trips.... but they don't know where the " trip" will be, on which Island.....because " depends " on the wheather..... Good, how stupid they think people are????! ( Red hair was instructing Simon to give ambiguous answers- how phathetic!!!)
But there are some nice people working for Rimba, which made the stay nicer: Ash , Maria, the Botswana girl... sorry not remembering your name!!!
And not to forget: SUPEREXPENSIVE for what it is!!!!

Room tip: Rooms are not good!!!
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
8  Thank mad51
Reviewed August 5, 2015 via mobile

We had an amazing holiday at Rimba. The staff is amazing and the scenery beautiful.
If you are looking for luxe and fine dining, look somewhere else. If you enjoy easy going atmospheres, prefer a small scale hotel instead of a massive resort, like home made food and want a place to spend time together as a family, then keep reading.
Highlights:
The snorkeling trips. We were lucky to swim with a couple of black tip reef sharks, lots of colorful fish and even a ray! We went out a couple of days and it was definitely worth it not just for the fish but for the amazing white sand small islands around.
The Reading/ chilout area. Everyone's favorite place to hang out, play cards, relax and read.
The food was very good, especially the barbecue. The staff was very helpful and extremely flexible with our children.
Lots of activities. Kayaking, diving, snorkeling and more.
Could be improved:
The fan in the room was a bit noisy and in a hot night, not enough to cool the room.
I wouldn't mind a bit more of comfort (bed and balcony chairs) in the room.
Thanks to Carly an crew for your professionalism and kindness.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2015

We really enjoyed this hotel/resort. The staff are all very friendly and helpful but in a relaxed way. The island is beautiful and calming. The resort basic but adequate for a couple of days.
The food here was of a very good quality and the bar stocked up with most things you want. The rooms are very basic and I cannot stress enough that you must go with the expectation of 'glamping' (glorified camping) and you will not be disappointed!
Tips: Don't forget to take shoes to wear in the sea as the beach is right on a coral reef. Get the staff to take you round the headland to the 'Sea Gypsy' Beach as the sea is sandy so easier for kids to swim in.

Room tip: Take shoes to wear in the sea
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2015

A group of us recently stayed for a friend's birthday and had a great time.

The booking process is very easy and they are happy to answer questions in a polite and timely manner, even though I am sure they have been asked the same things 1000 times before!

The choice and quality of the food throughout the stay was excellent and the the level of service was ideal - helpful and always available, but not intrusive.

The rooms are basic, but perfectly adequate - the beds are very comfy and you fall asleep under a fan to the sound of the ocean.

If you are desparely needing wi-if this is probably not the place for you as the signal is quite patchy, but it suited us perfectly and we took advantage to have a proper break.

Overall, a perfect place if you want to get away from it all and properly relax.

Room tip: Room1 is away from the bar and relatively secluded, but all the rooms are very similar.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2015

We recently returned from our second trip to Rimba (we were last there about 2 years ago) and it was as epic as the first time! This time round, we went as a group of 11 including two kiddies, for a my birthday celebration. Carly and her team took incredible care of us- from start to finish nothing was too much to ask and all of our needs and wants were anticipated effortlessly! The resort is super relaxed, cradled in a beautiful bay where we swam and lay in tubes most of the time! The rooms are very rustic- not advisable if you're a princess about accommodation, but they're cleaned and swept every morning, the mosquito nets are very effective and I just made sure I had an extra cocktail or two before getting into the cold shower before bed! The kids had a great time playing on the beach and the adults moved from beach to bar throughout the day, except when we met in the dining hall for meals (the food was AMAZING! We were very well fed!). I didn't fancy diving or snorkelling, so I went for a great pedicure instead! We took our own beach games, and used their volley ball net and ball. We also went on a brilliant jungle walk to the other resorts on the island (none of which were as nice as Rimba!). Each night turned into an awesome party- staff and guests dancing on the bar!! By the way, the noise didn't travel at all, so those who didn't fancy big nights weren't bothered at night time! Overall, I'd highly recommend Rimba- whether you're a family or a group of friends: you're bound to have a great time!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends