“Great potential but the WORST service..”

Fresh Tapas & Tonics
Ranked #808 of 1,429 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: London Bridge
Mankato, Minnesota
“Great potential but the WORST service..”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I will start out with the food. Decent variety; I really liked the concept of ordering multiple smaller dishes. The pork dumplings were AMAZING. Also ordered steak strips with a cheese sauce, and shrimp in cornmeal, both of which were also fantastic. Aside from those, I wasn't impressed by anything else the rest of my party ordered. Then again, I do not have a very refined palate.

Despite how much I loved those pork dumplings, I will think long and hard before I EVER return to this place. The service was beyond horrible. They had one server, and she had maybe 4? tables. The long and short of it.... we were there 20+ minutes before we placed our drink orders, waited another half hour before we received even our partial drink order, some of our party never even received their cocktails or waters and gave up by the end of the night. My brother had to go up to the bar to re-order directly with the bartender, then had to go back to teach him how to make his drink of choice. She kept bringing us the wrong things, and forgetting to bring us the things we did actually order. By the end of the night, we had been there over 3 hours, still hadn't received all of our food or beverages, and ended up telling them to forget it, we were ready to go.

Such a great concept, and interesting food. But they need to make some adjustments before I will return.

• Visited December 2011

Richmond, Virginia
“Great food and service”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Glad that we did not believe the reviews. Our waitress was great and the food was delicious. Our two young sons went with us and easily found items on the menu. They said they can't wait to go back. I highly recommend it.

• Visited November 2011
Va
“Sad to see this place go downhill”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This used to be one of our favorite places to eat in Va Beach. It is a pale shadow of what it used to be. The previously delicious tapas menu is now much smaller and the kitchen had run out of a great number of the items listed. I finally had to ask the server what was ACTUALLY available. This was early Sunday evening (during happy hour). Once we ordered we waited an extremely long time before the first tapas was served. The food was good but not fantastic. We were offered dessert but when we ordered we found out that it too was unavailable. We gave up at that point. Won't be back. So sad.

• Visited July 2011
Richmond, VA
“Do not order the beef tenderloin!”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We went for dinner Saturday night and it would have been a very successful dinner had it not been for comments from the chef. My sister had the beef tenderloin and ordered it medium rare. She didn't want to complain because her friend worked there but the meat was so overcooked there was no way not to complain. So she told the waitress who apologized and said she would fix it. She promptly came back to the table with her plate in hand and told us that the chef said that this is what he considers medium rare. OMG. First of all, we were all in agreement at the table that this was in no way medium rare. Clearly no pink in sight. It was clearly a well done steak. Secondly if I were waiting tables and a cook told me to go back to my customer and tell them this nonsense I never would have done such a ridiculous thing. How humiliating and rude for me to go back to my table and tell them they are just going to have to eat this crap whether you like it or not. But she did. My sister sent her steak back and said she ordered it medium rare and this is clearly not medium rare. Of course when the waitress brought the steak back it was completely raw, not rare, RAW!. He showed us I guess. Too bad, because we liked the rest of the food we ordered.

• Visited July 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Amazed at poor reviews.”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Just happened upon this place on St. Paddy's Day. My daughter and I were so impressed. We met some delightful customers, and had such a great and fun time. Maria, the proprietor, was charming and quite pleasant. The food was good and the atmosphere cozy and warm. Just wish it were closer to home, but will definitely return.
Maria, thanx for making this Irishwoman's day a jewel.

• Visited March 2011