“Possibly the best in VA Beach?”
Review of Mojito Cafe

Mojito Cafe
Ranked #24 of 1,431 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Northeast Virginia Beach
Valdosta, Georgia
“Possibly the best in VA Beach?”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Incredibly authentic Caribbean food, leaning towards Puerto Rico/Cuba style dishes. The location is a little away from the main thoroughfares, but well worth the trip. The inside seating is small, so expect to wait if you want to sit indoors. Even coming in during the off-season, the place was packed. The interior ambiance is pretty cool, and being able to see the kitchen staff was nice as well. The wait staff was awesome, and even though I opted to get my order to go instead of waiting for a table, they were super helpful. The menu offerings all sounded great, I had trouble deciding what to get. The prices were quite reasonable (easily under $20 per person). I opted for the stuffed plantains, with a empanda on the side. Wow, it was amazing. This may be some of the best Caribbean style food I've had, even having eaten in many places like this all over. It was so good, I am planning to eat here again before I leave Va. Beach. If you're in town, this is a must.

• Visited October 2013

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Very Different Cuisine that is very Tasty”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Mojito Café is a small restaurant (seats 26 I believe) with a few seats at the bar as well. It is next to a Subway shop but has nothing in common. The interior is nice and the owner is very conscious of cleanliness etc. The menu is very interesting and offers many choices and they have a good sized wine and cocktail list. We tried the Olives, caramelized onions, and red pepper on bread appetizer and it was very good. My date had the Fish Tacos with black beans and rice (which was made with Mahi-Mahi). We share everything, so I had one of the two on the plate and I have to say they were excellent. A friend had told me they were rated Nor 2 for Fish Tacos in the whole VA Beach area. Try them you will not be disappointed. I tried the pulled pork with Spanish rice. This was also very good with a totally different taste than American Barbeque. I am not sure what the seasoning is they used but the pork was tender and moist and I will order it again. They had a similar Beef dish which I am sure would be good. The service was excellent, the portions are large, and the chef is Spanish so the food is authentic. They had a number of special desserts and we could not pass up the Pumpkin Bread Pudding with caramel sauce and whipped cream. It was sinfully good. We were going to eat a little and take the rest home. Nice plan, but that didn’t happen, as it disappeared before our eyes as we couldn’t stop eating it. You have to give it a try. Overall I think you will really enjoy this little place at the Beach and you won’t go home with a hole in your pocket as it is very reasonable.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Speck411
bklyn,ny
“Across the street from our motel-boy were we lucky!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wonderful service, excellent appetizers, delicious salad and great main courses. We ate there on a Saturday night and we were leaving for home on Monday-they are closed on Sunsay and Monday-our loss. Will definitely go back next trip!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank kernelbozo
Richmond, Virginia
“The BEST restaurant at the beach”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place is authentic and has excellent food! It is located across the street from the beach in a small building. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but this place is a MUST!

Visited April 2013
High Point, North Carolina
“Excellent Food, Drinks meh”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This would have definitely been a 4 star based on the food alone, but the Mojito was so off putting, I really should have deducted 2. I have read the other reviews, and really really hope this was just a bad experience, but to receive a Mojito with 5 fully intact mint leaves floating in it, just belies the name of the place. I didn't notice it immediately but after my first sip, I knew something was drastically wrong, and after closer inspection, noticed the mint was not even the least bit crushed, just whole leaves floating in there. I am assuming the other reviewers are aware that a real mojito has muddled mint in it, traditionally crushed with a mortar and pestle or similar. After dragging the mint out with my fork and somewhat crushing it between my fingers and returning it to the glass and stirring with my straw, I had a somewhat acceptable mojito. Okay on to the food, I had a small house salad which was exceptional, the house dressing it was tossed with was great, with fresh mixed greens, slices of ripe avocado, and some cucumber and tomatoe, it was a wonderful opener. Next I had the roast pork with rice, which was pre shredded and had great garlicky taste, borrowed some of the lime wedges my husband had with his meal and it was even better, it comes close to the roast pork from Versaille in Miami. My husband had the Mahi tacos, and said they were almost as good as the fresh fish tacos he loves from Maui Taco. The black bean accompaniment he had was very good as well, I tried them and it was exactly the way I like them. My husband also had the bread pudding with caramel sauce, he is a huge bread pudding fan and he said this was one of the best, but so rich he couldn't finish it all. Overall not a bad experience, but if we ever return, I will be sure to specify I want my mint muddled when I order.

• Visited September 2013