New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Like the place not the location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport

Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport
Ranked #13 of 111 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Like the place not the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Staying here while visiting family. Nice place. Clean beds and linen. Meals are tasty. Friendly staff. What else could you ask for? Well access from EB 264 is confusing and it's a busy road. That's my only negative.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you again soon! Please let me know if you plan to return, I will show you what our area offers!
We appreciate your business.

Meredith Alexander Brinkley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

As a Hilton Honors member this is the first time of staying in a Homewood Suites .I came to Virginia Beach for some business. The hotel was close to the job site where I was going to. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. The hotel does not have any restaurant. There are some local places to choose from, . Sarah the front office manager was kind enough to have them hold the snacks a little longer because I arrived late. The spa was nice and warm which helps when the weather is cold. I would stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello,
Thank you so much for the great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to write. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Six-story Hilton Homewood (HH) -- 120+ suites -- in geographically ideal location: a 15-minute drive from airport, business/works sites, & beach.  Location combined with Homewood’s hospitality, breakfasts, & dinners, makes things easier if you’re at work or play.

Excellent for short or long stays -- whether alone, with significant other, or family -- on business or pleasure. Convenient if you plan on eating out, cooking (in fully supplied kitchenette), or eating breakfasts & dinners at lodge.

Approx. Drive Times/ Distances (Depending on Traffic)
------------------------------------
• 15 min. (7 mi/ 11 km) to Norfolk International Airport (ORF)

• 15-20 min. (13 mi/ 21 km) to Virginia Beach (I-264E)

• 5 min. (1 mi/ 1.6 km) to Ruby Tuesday eatery (on Newtown Rd.)

• 1 min. to I-264 (Virginia Beach Expressway) &
   to I-64 (Hampton Roads Beltway)

Free HH shuttle drives you to locations within 5 mi. (8 km) of hotel, but not to Norfolk International Airport (ORF).

One-Bedroom Suite
-----------------------
• Clean, spacious, comfortable, modern suite: living room, kitchenette (with cookware/ utensils), bedroom, bathroom (with spacious, sliding glass shower door -- no bathtub).

• Kitchen table doubles as desk, which reduces surface area to spread out on. (Non-issue if travelling solo or as couple, but can see it being annoying if a family (of 3+) that prefer to dine at kitchen table *and* need separate work/ desk area.)

• Swivel LCD TV to aim where you're situated in room: kitchenette, table/ desk, sofa.

• Free Internet/WiFi.

Free Hot & Cold Breakfast (Each Morning)
------------------------------
• Eat in spacious, open/airy lodge. (No elbow-to-elbow crowding at tables or food counters.)

• Standard HH quality hot food (eggs, meats, potatoes, oatmeal, etc.) & cold items (cereals, pastries, muffins, bagels, juices, milk, etc.). Healthy choices available (fruit, plain yoghurt). (Greek yoghurt, "real" whole grain bread, & more variety of fresh in-season fruit is on wish list.)

• Hoped for more frequent rotation of hot breakfast items (cheese folded egg, sausage patties, french toast sticks became routine). (For repeat and/ or long stay, *more* rotation/ variety is much appreciated.)

• Depleted items promptly replenished. (No waiting, particularly if you need to be somewhere: worksite/ beach.) (Only waiting is for 2 sets of elevators, which can run slowly – particularly at morning/evening rush. Stairs help.)

Free Dinners (Mon., Tue., Wed., Thur.)
---------------
• Full, balanced meals (not appetizers) of meat/ chicken/ fish, potato/ rice/ bread, vegetables, lasagna, fajitas, barbecue pork etc.. (Excellent variety & rotation; a godsend if your staying several weeks.)

• Fresh salads with accompanying veg (tomato, cuke, carrot, etc.) on side to add as you like (with choice of dressing) at each dinner.

• Tea & lemonade are standard evening drinks -- no sodas. (Mixing tea & lemonade together is tasty; add water if you find it too sweet.)

• Four nights a week, you come home to convenience of a ready-made meal & needn't drive around looking for takeout. (Provided you're not working evenings.) Dinner starts at 5pm or 5:30pm(?) ends around 7pm(?) -- if remembering correctly.

• Four free full meals adds up to significant $ savings -- particularly if you're on a tight budget or are travelling with several family members.

• In general, HH has better full evening meals than lower to mid-level Marriott Residence Inns (RIs) -- but on-par meals with higher level RIs. (If you're a frequent long stay/ repeat guests of both brands (Hilton Homewoods & Marriott RIs), you appreciate the subtle (& not so subtle) meal differences -- particularly if you like varied/ healthy meals without having to seek outside eateries after a long day.)

Conveniences
----------------
• Modern guest laundry with 3 washers ($2) & 3 dryers ($2): clean & working.

• Exercise room with modern equipment with built-in TV screens (ellipticals, treadmills, bike, weights); space to breath -- you won’t feel cramped. (Exercise during wash & dry cycles.)

• Two modern/ working computers, color printer, copier, & plenty of paper allow for easy printing & copying in comfortable seated business center. (Print work documents or just boarding passes.)

• Free, self-parking. (No difficulty finding open spots.)

Additional Niceties
----------------------
• After work/ dinner stroll around corporate/ office park (Cleveland St.), also neighbourhood (off Larry Ave.).

• Staff can guide you to nearby grocery stores, if you'd like to do your own shopping/ cooking.

• Hallways are wide/ spacious; claustrophobes delight.

• Away from touristy beach waterfront if you prefer to be away from crowds (& dense traffic) -- especially during high season. (Only 15 minutes from beach -- but have to find & pay for parking.)

• Considerable cost savings (can be double) from waterfront hotels -- particularly during peak season.

• Well up to HH's high standards with genuinely helpful staff, who understand service. Consistent, reliable quality & service.

(Homewoods. I wish they were in even *more* cities/ locations.)

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank gnomemoss
Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach Norfolk Airport. I am sure future travelers will really enjoy reading your detailed review. I will also share it with my team. We really appreciate your business and the opportunity to serve you. If you are in the area again, I hope you will come back to see us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My first time being in Virginia Beach and I loved this hotel. I typically have to throw away restaurant leftovers, but the full sized refrigerator let me keep them and enjoy them later. May seem trivial, but made a huge difference. Plus the bed was incredibly comfortable

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your review of the Homewood Suites Hilton Virginia Beach! We appreciate your comments. I am glad you had a good experience with us. I wanted to let you know that we also offer complimentary grocery shopping services so if you come again, we can fill the refrigerator for you! We hope to welcome you again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have generally had great experiences with Hilton Brand Hotels and especially the Homewood Suites. However, this was the worst one I had ever stayed in and I think clearly there is a management issue. In my opinion consistency in the small things is what makes a chain successful. Upon check in we did not receive our customary bottles of water as Hilton Honors members. And when we asked about it we were told that at this particular location it is reserved for Gold members or higher only. Strike One!
The room was dirty...in fact I am not certain it was cleaned prior to my checking in. There were grocery bags crumpled up in the cabinet, the tub had a grime ring in it and there was hair everywhere. Not cool. I can overlook a lot but not lack of cleanliness. However, at the time of check in it was so late that I was too exhausted to attempt to switch rooms. One of the two beds appeared passable so I chose that one to sleep in.
In the morning I went to the fitness center to work out. It was well appointed with three treadmills and two ellipticals as well as a full range of free weights and a bench. Along with medicine balls and mats. However my key didn't work in the lock so I had to go to the front desk which was not close....it required three trips back to the front desk before they provided me a key that worked. The same issue with cleanliness prevailed in the gym...it clearly had not be well cleaned in a very long time. I used the sanitary clothes to clean what I used several times and they came away filthy.
When we checked in there was a trail of stains on the tile as though something had leaked down the hall. It remained there for two days, the floor evidently not being mopped and no one taking the initiative to clean it.
Breakfast was mediocre with the only choices for coffee being a very bland dark roast and sweetened coffee mate creamer! No half and half to be found. The waffles were in a warming tray and dry, the yogurt was not individual containers but a salad bowl on ice filled with yogurt that was not labeled as to flavor and not covered. I guess you were to scoop from the bowl. The only fruit available were some apples and oranges that were bruised and battered looking.
I would not recommend this hotel as there are many others in the immediate vicinity that offer a much better experience. This one is not what you would expect from the Brand.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the parking lot which proved to be very loud. Not much in the way of sound proof...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mdm0622
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Unclean rooms and public areas are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure these areas meet the highest housekeeping standards. Please contact me directly to discuss these issues. I would like the opportunity to make it right. We appreciate your business and loyalty to the Hilton brand family of hotels.

Meredith A. Brinkley
Bergenfield, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I found this hotel to be wonderful and very family-friendly. Staff was great with all my questions (and 1 emergency request). Breakfast was fine and the room was big and quite clean. Very comfortable bed (can I take one home with me?). Also appreciated the staff keeping the pool room stocked with towels (I've never, ever had a hotel that kept up the pool towels). We would definitely go back next time we're in VA Beach. I've paid much more in other hotels and gotten "much less" in terms of amenities. Thank you Meredith & staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hello,
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with our team. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Meredith A. Brinkley
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel was clean, bed very comfortable. Staff friendly and courteous. Hotel was sold out due to Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon. I thought the hotel would be noisy since it was sold out. Not at all, it was soooo quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
homewoodvabeach, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review us! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again on a future trip!

Warmest Regards,