“Not Up to Par for a Hilton Brand Hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have generally had great experiences with Hilton Brand Hotels and especially the Homewood Suites. However, this was the worst one I had ever stayed in and I think clearly there is a management issue. In my opinion consistency in the small things is what makes a chain successful. Upon check in we did not receive our customary bottles of water as Hilton Honors members. And when we asked about it we were told that at this particular location it is reserved for Gold members or higher only. Strike One!
The room was dirty...in fact I am not certain it was cleaned prior to my checking in. There were grocery bags crumpled up in the cabinet, the tub had a grime ring in it and there was hair everywhere. Not cool. I can overlook a lot but not lack of cleanliness. However, at the time of check in it was so late that I was too exhausted to attempt to switch rooms. One of the two beds appeared passable so I chose that one to sleep in.
In the morning I went to the fitness center to work out. It was well appointed with three treadmills and two ellipticals as well as a full range of free weights and a bench. Along with medicine balls and mats. However my key didn't work in the lock so I had to go to the front desk which was not close....it required three trips back to the front desk before they provided me a key that worked. The same issue with cleanliness prevailed in the gym...it clearly had not be well cleaned in a very long time. I used the sanitary clothes to clean what I used several times and they came away filthy.
When we checked in there was a trail of stains on the tile as though something had leaked down the hall. It remained there for two days, the floor evidently not being mopped and no one taking the initiative to clean it.
Breakfast was mediocre with the only choices for coffee being a very bland dark roast and sweetened coffee mate creamer! No half and half to be found. The waffles were in a warming tray and dry, the yogurt was not individual containers but a salad bowl on ice filled with yogurt that was not labeled as to flavor and not covered. I guess you were to scoop from the bowl. The only fruit available were some apples and oranges that were bruised and battered looking.
I would not recommend this hotel as there are many others in the immediate vicinity that offer a much better experience. This one is not what you would expect from the Brand.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the parking lot which proved to be very loud. Not much in the way of sound proof...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mdm0622
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Unclean rooms and public areas are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure these areas meet the highest housekeeping standards. Please contact me directly to discuss these issues. I would like the opportunity to make it right. We appreciate your business and loyalty to the Hilton brand family of hotels.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I found this hotel to be wonderful and very family-friendly. Staff was great with all my questions (and 1 emergency request). Breakfast was fine and the room was big and quite clean. Very comfortable bed (can I take one home with me?). Also appreciated the staff keeping the pool room stocked with towels (I've never, ever had a hotel that kept up the pool towels). We would definitely go back next time we're in VA Beach. I've paid much more in other hotels and gotten "much less" in terms of amenities. Thank you Meredith & staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hello,
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with our team. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel was clean, bed very comfortable. Staff friendly and courteous. Hotel was sold out due to Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon. I thought the hotel would be noisy since it was sold out. Not at all, it was soooo quiet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
homewoodvabeach, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review us! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again on a future trip!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I’m a Hilton Honors Member and regularly stay at Homewood or Embassy Suites (4-5 times the last two years, 30-40 times of the last decade). Stayed at the Virginia Beach Homewood for an extended Labor day weekend (Thu-Mon). Breakfast – Just poorly done, warm milk, limited repeating selections, out of items. Was at the Brisbane CA Homewood in July, just the opposite direction, various yogurt flavors, make your waffles machine, freshly cut fruit assorted fruit bowl, diverse daily breakfast menu...etc Maid Service - Was really surprised our room wasn’t serviced on day 2, called - they came, no big deal. Day 3, not serviced again, this time we arrived late, just got towels at the front desk. As for the rest of the amenities, yes it met the standard, dinner (was good), room (nice), hot tub/pool well maintained.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I apologize for your experience with housekeeping as well as the breakfast buffet. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service, and a diverse breakfast buffet, so I apologize that we dropped the ball in your case. We will certainly address your issues with each department to ensure these issues don't happen again. We hope that you will give us another try should your travels bring you back to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I love this all-suite hotel. We stayed in a one-bedroom with double beds and a sleeper sofa and dining area with full kitchen. Very clean, beds were extremely comfortable, bath was great and nicely stocked. The free Wi Fi was a breeze to access. The pool was fun with the kids. Service was fast and easy (got a great government rate) and breakfast was average with hot items included. Many of interest points nearby.

• Stayed: May 2012

Hello! Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! We're so glad you enjoyed your suite and all the amenities the hotel has to offer! We hope you will stay with us again when you return to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

When we got here, we were put in a dirty uncleaned room. NOT the fault of the desk attendent - housekeeping had marked it clean. She promptly got us a new room. These are the smallest, most uncomfortable room I've ever stayed in at Homewood Suites.
The breakfast was DISGUSTING. I've included pictures. Greasy half cooked sausage, cold cheese "omelets", tiny frozen waffles, glue-like oatmeal...
We wasted our free night from Hhonors points here and we are so ticked off.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank nrkelly
homewoodvabeach, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for your review of the Homewood Suites Virginia Beach. I am glad you were able to speak with our Guest Care Manager, Nicole about your experience. If you would like to speak further about your stay or if I can assist you in any other way, please contact me directly. We hope you will give us another try if your travel needs bring you back to the area.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights on a fmily vacation to the US. Excellent 2 bed room hotel apartment. The location is 15 min from the beach which we enjoyed since it was nice and quite. Good breakfast buffet. And nice indoor pool. Went to Sandbrigde beach which was very nice and not crowded. Very good sightseeing close by (e.g. Norfolk or Oceana air base).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us while on vacation in the US! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and our amenities. We hope you will consider us again should your travels bring you back to Virginia Beach!