“Good lunch joint”

TASTE at Oceanfront
Ranked #24 of 1,533 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Description: For 40 years, TASTE has been the locals' favorite for lunch all day, featuring sandwiches with our famous house dressing. Pre-order boxed lunches or catering platters for your group events. We offer gourmet provisions, wine, craft beers, gelato, and Virginia peanuts. Our Pacific Avenue location also offers beer & wine by the glass to enjoy with your meal. Taste the good life!
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Although the food was pretty average, I loved the atmosphere. So many choices! I would go again for sure.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice beach day, comfortable beach chair and umbrella plus taste unlimited sandwiches, it just does not get any better than this! The 36TH ST location allows you to walk a few blocks from the beach to grab a great lunch.

This place uses very fresh ingredients to generate great flavors. Basil, freshly roasted turkey breast, country ham, avocado and great bread combine for some truly outstanding sandwiches.

Some folks may find the sandwiches on the pricy side, especially since you will need to order a 'whole' to feed the average eater. You will also find a line at the lunch hour, even though they are very efficient at getting your sandwiches made. Everyone in our group felt that these were some of the finest sandwiches they had ever had, and that they were well worth the price.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the food and the manager who spoke to us was very friendly. Hope they open one in Richmond! We will go back next time we're in VA beach.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Taste Unlimited Pacific Ave - You just lost two customers of 3+ years (and both our families) today. The owners of the North End Shops has let Aristocrat, a sleazy, crooked, lying company scavenge it's lot for patrons that dare to step foot out of their parking lot. My sister and I had a great time at the beach and as we always do stop for food to take on the road at the North End Shops. I wanted a Taste Unlimited sandwich, my sis wanted Pelon's tacos. She went into Taste Unlimited with me, I placed my order for one sandwich, was back out in less than 10 minutes. Walked into Pelon's for my sis to order when I realized my car wasn't out front. She orders while I walk into the parking lot looking for my car. I am 4 months pregnant, so I'm thinking maybe I've lost my mind and I parked somewhere else. No, in less than 10 mins my car has been towed by Aristrocrat towing where I spent the next hour dealing with a rude, threatening, intimidating, sleazy slimeball of a driver. Knowing I was a patron at both restaurants and had receipts for each (and obviously had only purchased food at Taste Unlimited for myself), I called the cops. The tow truck driver supposedly called the police as well but seeing as how I sat in my car with the A/C on so he couldn't drive it away until the police came (and note, I'm 4 months pregnant and it's 100 degrees outside with no cool ocean to cool off in now). The driver comes home and LIES saying the police called him and they can't get anyone out for over an hour and if I do not get out of the car and let him do his job they will arrest me. Obviously I didn't believe him and called the police back only to find out they made no such call. Not 2 minutes later the police show up. Not only did they do absolutely nothing despite us showing them our receipts, and the single meals each, but I ended up paying $145 for him to unhitch my vehicle. Not only did I get ROBBED by this sleaze ball but the police did nothing about it saying it was a civil matter and all I could do at this point is take Aristocrat to court. I will NEVER be back to Taste Unlimited & Pelon's again with my family, nor will my sister.

Thanks to the city of Virginia Beach and North End Shops for ruining what should have been a nice experience. I will never be back down there again.

2  Thank RACHAEL P
TasteBuzz, Owner at TASTE at Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We are deeply sorry about all the frustration you endured while simply trying to enjoy a nice lunch and a day at the beach. We too are very frustrated by the often indiscriminate towing. Unfortunately, we are unable to control it as we are on separate property and are not affiliated with the North End Shops. I know that likely offers you little comfort after such an ordeal; however, we would like to buy you and your friend lunch at any of our other locations as a small way of saying sorry for this incident. Please contact our Director of Operations Taylor Pruden at taylor@tasteunlimited.com, and he will make the arrangements.

Jon Pruden
Chief Eating Officer

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Taste has some interesting and tasty sandwiches and fresh-brewed flavored iced tea, but the main reason that I like Taste is because they have free wi-fi. We don't have wi-fi at the condo where we stay, so I had to find someplace close where I could get a good, fast connection. I get a sandwich and a glass of unsweetened iced tea, find a table and log on. The staff don't bother me, and they let me work on my laptop as long as I need to be there. It's clean, air conditioned, and has clean modern bathrooms. The music could be a little softer, and maybe they could play something besides 80s rock-and-roll? Good desserts too if you just want a snack. I haven't tried the gelato yet. They close at 7PM, so I sometimes wish they would stay open later.