“A new favorite”

Handel's Homemade Ice Cream
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“A new favorite”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This year was our first stop at Handel's when we were on vacation. Just up the road from Sandbridge it was a convenient stop, the first time, since we were on the way back to our beach house. Had the Chocolate malt w/ caramel in a cone to try. Ecellent ice cream, smooth and creamy and not too rich. Went back again a couple days later for shakes, and brought a pint back for late night snack. Another regular stop now on our trips to Sandbridge!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bud Y

Virginia Beach
“try something new each time”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I love their ice cream, it tastes rich and creamy how ice cream should taste! I try different flavors each time I go, and have not ever been disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Donna T
Virginia Beach, VA
“Great Ice Cream, and Open In The Winter”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

It may not be the same butterfat content that you'll find on the farm in Iowa, but Handel's serves good, freshly made ice cream in lots of different flavors, including seasonal varieties like Rum Raisin and Apple Pie in the Fall, fro yo for folks looking for that, thick and tasty malts, scrumptious-looking sundaes, and lots of take-home options, including ice cream cakes and hand-pack. My only complaints are that it's a Dairy Queen-type operation, with no indoor seating at all, and that the servers we met on our two trips to the shop were just young kids, with very little training in customer service, or even in basic communications.

But it's still a homemade ice cream place that's open in the Winter, so I'm not really complaining. Good spot, as long as you don't mind sitting on benches in a parking lot to eat your cone.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank RickSchlegel
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Double Chocolate Raspberry Truffle”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Chocolate Raspberry Truffle is a seasonal ice cream, usually in the summer. Keep checking to see when it's available. It's well worth the wait.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jeff B
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Best ice cream I've ever had!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

If I want ice cream, I have to go to Handel's. Their freshly made ice cream is so rich and flavorful! I absolutely love their Carmel Cone Crunch Hurricane. It's better than sex! My husband is a fan of their black cherry ice cream. Our favorite seasonal flavor is their peppermint candy, and I have to buy that in hand packed quarts two at a time!

Visited November 2012