“Worst Family Eat out Night Ever!”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #347 of 1,452 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This last dining experience was the third strike after two bad experiences this year. Before it was the food, this time it was the food and especially the bartender who for some odd reason was waiting on my booth with five people. The place was crowded, she was busy, she made the bare minimum of attempts to serve and check on us. Two dishes were served cold, three were hot, one was sent back because it was so cold. We were forced to call on the manager since the waitress never came by to see if the food was as ordered. The manager sent it back after remarking that the restaurant has been having problems with keeping that dish hot when served. (?) It was literally reheated and thus the ravioli stuffed with butternut squash was all dried out. We finished but since I only ate a small part of my meal and no one ate all of theirs, I wanted dessert for everyone to make us all happy. Again, we waited well past a normal wait for the server to return. The manager came over and asked if the ravioli was better, and I said we hoped to order desert, could she send over our server. She did, but the server was clearly upset with us. She asked what we wanted and we said we did not know, we hadn't seen the desert menu. She threw the spoons on the table We hurried to make our selections because we really felt we had done something wrong. She shouted over her shoulder to the bar, "I WILL BE WITH YOU IN A MINUTE". This made us all feel like we had made some unreasonable demand upon her time. She was sweating and my guest asked if they were working short-handed to which she replied, "NO, NOT AT ALL" but with a very unfriendly glare. I left a $20 tip, 1/2 what I would have left had I not been given so unwelcoming and poor service.

I eat out quite often and travel all over the world and so I know the full spectrum of wait staff. I myself waited tables for several years while in school and have always been willing to give my server the benefit of the doubt and know what he/she can control and cannot control. My advice, do not have that bartender have to tend bar and take care of tables. It clearly does not work and make the guest nervous that they are not receiving the attention one would by a server who is on the floor.

Like I said, this was the third strike. I do not plan to come back. The food has been getting worse over the last two years. I use to come about once a month, then once every third month, then six, now no more.

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We go to this restaurant almost weekly. The food is very good. Chicken scallopini, marsalla, Carmella are all excellent. The speidini is a good less caloric choice.

Get to know the staff-- they're very personable.

Stella, mentioned in another review, is wonderful as a manager. Alyssa, Max, and Ty are great servers, and Jen is a terrific bartender. If you become a regular they become more like friends than the robots you get at other chains.

This chain should be commended for hiring real people who genuinely care if you enjoy your experience.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Average chain food that is way too salty. Good bread, nice salads and tasty entries. They really need to cut back on the salt. I drank water all night after leaving.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Had a great meal there last night from the "design your own pasta menu." Got our meal exactly the way we wanted it. It was 1/2 price night for the wine too, so we ordered a great bottle of vino as well. Service was great. The food was great. It did not have the feeling of a chain restaurant. Would go there again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Good service though they were very busy. Good food. Nice atmosphere.