“Ok restaurant- more like bakery”

Rigoletto Italian Bakery
Ranked #7 of 49 Dessert in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Ok restaurant- more like bakery”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I decided to try this restaurant after seeing it on diners drive ins and dives...and buying a living social deal. The restaurant is tucked into a strip center and bigger than it looks on the outside. The pastry cases looked phenomenal and I would like to try all. One section has biscotti, one all cookies, one with slices of cakes and pies and another with assorted pastries...huge selection. The menu is small. I had beef panini ( featured on the show) that was good but lots of bread - my friend had the eggplant Parmesan that she said was good but nothing special. Food is a little pricey . Not sure I would go back for lunch or breakfast without a coupon or deal, but I will g back to try the pastries.

Visited May 2013

Virginia
“Food edible...service slow”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

On May 11, 2013 after a friend mentioned this restaurant was featured on TV, I decided to take my daughter and a friend out for a late lunch. When we arrived there were two other tables occupied so it was not that busy but throughout our time there service was rather slow. We had to interrupt a conversation the waitress was having with guests at one of the tables (after several minutes) to request the check. The food was good but not great. I had the vegetable panini. The desserts looked very good but we passed. I am a little surprised this place was featured on TV as it seemed very ordinary. I also DID NOT appreciate the fact that you can not add the tip to your credit card...tacky!

• Visited May 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Very disappointed!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant after seeing it on TV and purchasing a Living Social Deal. We were extremely disappointed in both the food and service. We went on a Saturday afternoon for a late lunch, restaurant was about half full. Our waitress came to our table to drop off menus and to take our drink order. After a long wait for our drinks to arrive, she quickly asked if we were ready to order. She didnt bother to tell us about their specials. We ordered the fried ravioli for an appetizer and the Florintina and Michaelangelo Masterpiece paninis. The ravioli came out first, then my panini about 1 minute later. My husband had to wait atleast 10 minutes for his sandwich to arrive, which was cold. The quality of the food was mediocre, definitely not worthy enough to be feautured on TV. Once our food was delivered, we never saw our waitress again. One of her co-worker's noticed we had finished our food and was patiently waiting for our check. We received our check only to find out that they only accept cash gratuities - lucikly I had some cash on hand, but I feel it would be wise for the restaurant to advertise prior to entering.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank katk984
Yorktown, Virginia
“Would like to go back!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We traveled a good distance and decided to give this place a try. The desserts taunt you as soon as you arrive! Wow! What a display. Our server was somewhat slow and not very friendly but we didn't let that interfere with our evening. We shared a bowl of cream of mushroom soup, a fried mushroom appetizer and the Mediterrian pasta. All were very good! The only comment I have is I was expecting the olives in the pasta to be pitted. Almost broke a tooth! We ordered dessert to go and ate in within a few hours. Delish! We felt bad as we were leaving because we were not aware we could not leave a tip on our credit card. I wonder why they have this rule? I now see i mentioned in a previous review. We would like to return and try other menu items as well.

• Visited April 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Don"t expect great service, just great food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to agree with some of the other reviewers, the service leaves a little to be desired. Then again, the wait staff is very young, and with probably zero experience. As for the cash tips that one reviewer mentioned, if you read the menu correctly, it states that tips are not required, as the wait staff is paid in full wages, but if you would like to leave a tip it has to be in the form of cash.

If I recall correctly, this place started out as a small Italian bakery, and when Conklins Irish Rover next door went belly up, they expanded. I have tried the pastries, and I must say, they are out of this world good. Especially the traditional Italian Easter cake.....Yummy, just like moms. As for the food items on the menu, I dare you to find this kind of quality, home cooked Italian, at these great prices, anywhere in Hampton Roads You will be extremely hard pressed. The paninnis are large and very filling, the soups are all homemade and delicious. The stuffed meatballs are very large and to die for, but the real test comes with the eggplant parmigania. It has to be the best in all of tidewater.

If 5 star service is what you seek, then yes, you will be disappointed. If it is great Italian, at even better prices, then this is your place. I have been several time, and will be back several hundred more.

• Visited March 2013