“Poor Customer service - hum-drum”

Rigoletto Italian Bakery
Ranked #131 of 1,413 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Poor Customer service - hum-drum”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The service was poor from the beginning - this should have been a sign of what was to come… I saw the restaurant featured on DDD and decided to give it a try. The price was right, the service was a 2 at best and the flavor was about a 4. One of the workers from the back says, sit wherever you like on the other side. Okay, we seat ourselves. The waitress comes over, placed the menus on the table and walked away; never saying a word. We look over the menu a while, the waitress returns and asks what we would like to drink. She takes our drink order, returns with the drinks and just stands there with her pen and pad; never articulating a word… Okay after a brief stalemate, I break the ice and order the spaghetti and meatballs. My wife had a half of Panini and a bowl of soup. The meatballs were very tough, the sauce was bland and the pasta was nothing special. I had a knife and fork, no spoon for the pasta; I never received an opportunity to ask for one, because the waitress never returned until it was time to ask if we wanted dessert. A different waitress returns to take our dessert order; my wife orders the tiramisu roll. Several minutes later, the original waitress returns and asks for our dessert order. My wife orders the tiramisu roll; the waitress said would you like that to go. My wife answered, no thank you, I will have it here. The waitress returns with the tiramisu, places it on the table and dashes away. The overall experience was unpleasant, to say the least… I was really hoping this would turn out to be our place to go, but from the waitress never articulating a word, to the overall atmosphere of the restaurant. There were plenty of empty seats and they were not very busy - the service was pathetic…

Note: Gratuity must be in the form of cash, it can't be added to the bill via credit card. This is clearly noted on the menu, no issues. Just a likely mention...

• Visited February 2013
6 Thank Big-Mike44

“Molto Bene!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The older I get, the more I try to stay out of places like Rigoletto Bakery. For every piece of tiramisu, it's another hour at the gym. For every eclair or cannoli, it's forty-five more minutes. For every piece of fresh, homemade biscotti, add twenty more minutes on the treadmill. You get the general idea --- this place is just a fabulous bakery, and I have absolutely no control.

I think it's been almost four years ago that Gilda Di Dominico, a very active and pleasant lady who's originally from Naples, opened Rigoletto in VB's Red Mill Commons shopping center. She was almost immediately featured on Triple D, and hasn't had time to take a breath since then. Rigoletto's main emphasis is on baked goods, and I have yet to find a local spot that does a better job with the rich, custard or mascarpone-filled pastries that so excite me when we travel to New York City's Little Italy or Brooklyn. Additionally, there's a huge supply of wonderful cookies, cakes, glazed fresh fruit pies and fresh breads offered; and the menu has recently been expanded to include a selection of homemade soups, salads, and fresh paninis, assembled with their own handmade Foccacia bread. I've not sampled their food items, but the plates coming from the kitchen when I'm there for bakery items all look very inviting.

Rigoletto's prices are a little above other fresh bakeries in the area, but I think, on a dollar-per-pound basis, and certainly on the basis of quality and just downright yummyness, Rigoletto is superior to the other two in this area that I still enjoy visiting. And there is nowhere --- I'll say it again, nowhere --- within Tidewater that makes a fresher, more creamy, more delicious cannoli or eclair.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank RickSchlegel
Poquoson, Virginia
“Very disappointed!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

After reading the reviews, I had high hopes for this place. I couldn't have been more disappointed. I went there for lunch with friends. It wasn't busy, but even for a party of four it took what felt like forever to get our order taken. The food once it came was just average, and bland. We wanted dessert, and it took 20 minutes to get a waitress to come by and let us order that. I felt like we were intruding on their day or something. We arrived at 11:30, and didn't actually leave until almost 2:00, due to their slow service. While the pastry was excellent, it was not worth sitting through the rest of everything else. I will NOT be returning.

3 Thank Arna M
“Incredible pastries, great food”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Wife and I are on a triple D tour and came to the area for New Years with friends. Recently expanded dining area was virtually empty on a Sunday early evening but the food and service were great. Stuffed meatballs and the Florentina panini have both been featured on the food network and they did not disappoint. The gnocchi was beautifully tender, too. We all could not keep our eyes off the pastries which are phenomenally HUGE. The lobster tails are sinful and should get their own zip codes. Great place. Will definitely be back when in town.

1 Thank Jeff G
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Fantastic!!!! Will be back!!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband, grandson and I drove to RIgoletto's from Elizabeth City NC. I has been wanting to go for a while after seeing it on Triple D!! Loved it!! My grandson loves their gigantic meatballs with spaghetti. My husband and I loved the fried calamari and the Flortentina Sandwich and when we got home we had their Chicken Parmesan. All I can say is, we shall return!!!!!

• Visited November 2012