“Excellent”
Review of Zia Marie

Zia Marie
Reserve with OpenTable
Zia Marie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #158 of 1,420 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Cross street: Seaview Avenue
Virginia Beach, VA
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Five of us went for dinner and it was excellent. I had Veal Marsala and spaghetti. I usually never eat any pasta noodles. I did take a taste and the spaghetti was to die for... The Veal was perfect. Two of the guests had spaghetti and meatballs and loved their dishes as well. Service was great, prices were very reasonable. This restaurant is worth a trip if you are in Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Off night at a restaurant with a good rep?”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Saturday night we had a disappointing experience at a restaurant I had held in high regard from past visits. Four of us, friends including two who had been to Zia in the last two months several times, were looking forward to a great evening.

But from the host stand, to server, to kitchen, there seemed to be stressed staff. Were they short on help that night? It was 6:30, so it wasn't yet packed with people. The salads were generous but dry. Attempts to get attention for additional dressing were unsuccessful. The white wine was warm, and again, it was tough to get the servers attention to attend to this or water refills throughout the meal. She was nice when she was there, but she wasn't around often, nor was anyone else we could ask.

Unfortunately, no mussels which is what two in our group had hoped for. So eggplant, chicken, and a special were selected. Both the eggplant and chicken were unremarkable, even dough-y. The sauce, previously very good, seemed like it had been rushed, was unfinished, even plastic-y. They weren't so bad they had to be sent back, but they were not what we had expected.

The bread was good as usual, but no offers for a refill on the original modest basket. The tiramisu was, for lack of a better word, gloppy. One friend, who had excused herself when desserts were ordered, came back to see it served and said "what did you order, whipped cream?" The cheesecake (traditional) was good. But I don't know if it was made there, never got the chance to ask.

One small, understandable, but awkwardly handled thing upon arrival: Our reservations for four were met with being escorted to a four top next to a couple with a toddler. That's normally ok, but the high chair was butted up against the corner of our table to be, and the child was getting fussy. Our friends had just bid goodbye to family with a 2 and 4 year old and were in the mood for an adult dinner, not another toddler experience. I politely asked if we could move to the four top one over, and the young woman said "no, this is your reservation." There was no difference between the one where she was seating us and the next one over- except a few feet, everything else the same. I said "no, we need a different table." The restaurant was 2/3 full at 6:30, there were other tables. "Wait a minute"- we stood there for an awkward amount of time, despite being just four tables away from the host stand. She finally came back and allowed us to take the table we asked for. Was it a young person's mishandling of the situation, a simple misunderstanding, or emblematic of the stress going on there that evening? I think the latter, but we shook it off and were ready to have a nice evening. And then.

If you read any of my nearly 100 reviews, you'll see I strive for equanimity. I supported myself through undergrad and grad school waiting tables, so I'm not unaware of the challenges in that price-point setting. But this was a disappointing experience. We'll return after the summer is over when everything is a little more relaxed and hope for a better experience.

1 Thank ValerieinVB
VA
“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have been here many times and have not been disappointed. It is a small restaurant but has a wide variety of food. It is located away from the oceanfront, however, if you are from out of town, you might want to get away from the craziness and enjoy a delicious dinner. It would probably take about 20 minutes to get there from the oceanfront. The staff is very good and the food is delicious.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good Italian Food with Cozy Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've been to Zia Marie a handful of times this past year and really like it. The restaurant is pretty small -- it can get crowded at peak times in the summer -- but very cozy. I actually like it best in the winter b/c there's a glass fireplace in the middle of the dining room and it's a little less busy, I think.

The menu is fairly limited -- just two dozen or so basic Italian dishes -- but they're all really good (at least the ones we've had). The fried mozzarella appetizer is delicious (big square of fried cheese covered with tomato sauce). I can't remember all the dishes we've had (eggplant parm once, I think) but they've all been good.

This is a homey, friendly place with very good, low-key Italian food. Just time your visit so it's not a mob scene (5pm on a Friday in July was packed!).

• Visited May 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went here on recommendation from a friend. Reservations are a must, and you can do this on-line on their website. This is a small, out-of-the-way place with limited parking and seating. Friendly and prompt service upon our arrival. The (free) warm bread is very good. We had the roasted garlic and goat cheese appetizer. It also comes with crostini bread, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, and a green pepper concoction that I've not seen before. Delicious! My husband had the eggplant and loved it. I had the veal parm., and it was also very tasty. This came with a side of spaghetti, which we ended up bringing home. The wine list is extensive. The food menu is hand-written on a chalkboard, and besides the names of the dishes, there's no descriptions, so ask your server! I'd say this is a moderately priced restaurant. For our appetizer, two entrees, and two glasses of wine, it was about $65 before the tip. All things considered, we were very pleased with our meal.

• Visited July 2013