“Great design, perfect beds, very good value”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2009

The Hotel was very clean, rooms looked newly decorated and the beds very just perfect. Hotel staff was very nice and extremly friendly. Parking is for free. Although the Hotel is situated within the city of Virginia Beach it is very calm. Canstrongly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus S
WestinVABManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 12, 2009

This was the second time I stayed there, the first time I loved it, 2nd time ..will never go back! The service as far as the issue i had getting resolved was "0"! The carpets were all stained and disgusting, my grandchildren came to visit the room and I was afraid to have them walk on the filthy carpet with their bare feet. My big issue was, I left a brand new journal in the room, for which was my fault, but the way they ignored me and handled it was inexcuseable. When I realized that I left it there I immediately called the next day, no one could take the time to go look in the room and they kept give me the run around. Finally a week lately the head of housekeeping called me back and finally went to look for it, of course after a week it was gone. I am glad it wasn't a piece of jewelry or medication! So I give them a "0" for customer service and a "1" for cleanliness!

3  Thank cherpa52
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed at the Westin the week before Labor Day. Although we were hesitant based on prior reviews, we found the stay to be ok. The room was quiet and the bed was wonderful. The hotel does charge for internet and food, but because it is located in Town Center, there are many options for breakfast, lunch and dinner within walking distance. A good experience, but not the over-the-top luxury that you might find in other Westin hotels. By the way, there is no shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k2ands

Reviewed August 26, 2009

After reading the largely negative reviews for many of the oceanfront hotels in Virginia Beach, we chose a hotel in the relatively new Virginia Beach Town Center area, about a 15-minute drive from the beach. We chose the Westin because the brand is normally associated with a more upscale resort experience. However, in this case, we couldn't have been MORE disappointed.

Our stay got off to a bad start, from the minute we walked up to the front desk. We arrived at the hotel in the early evening during the middle of the week, when guest-arrival traffic was slow. However, the young lady at the front desk acted like we were a bother during the entire check-in process. She barely greeted us, and instead, abruptly asked for an ID and credit card.

Our experience did not improve once we got to our room. The room, though pretty modernly furnished, smelled very musty, as if there were mold or water damage in the room. (The smell may have been related to what appeared to be a large watermark on the ceiling above the bed). The air conditioning vent in the room as also extremely noisy. We tried calling the front desk, but after the phone rang for 2+ minutes with no answer, we were forced to go downstairs in person to request a room change. The unfriendly front desk clerk again acted like she would rather be getting a root canal than assisting us. She gave us the keys to another room, which just happened to be ... directly overlooking a parking lot. Not only was the view abysmal, but the room was also full of road noise from the parking lot and street below. This despite the fact that my Starwood Preferred Guest profile indicates a clear preference for a quiet room. We ultimately decided to stick with the musty room because it was on a higher floor.

Before heading out to dinner, we stopped by the front desk to get some information about our dining options. When my husband asked what time the Town Center shops and restaurants closed, the front desk clerk rudely failed to respond, but instead, she dismissively pointed to a pamphlet on the front desk, and turned away from us. So much for service with a smile.

Having decided to make the best of things for the night, we tried to connect our laptop to the hotel's high-speed internet service, but were having trouble doing so. (This Westin's internet service costs $9.95 per day, despite the fact that comparable nearby hotels offer this amenity for free). We tried to call the front desk for assistance, but were met with more poor service. On our first attempt, the phone rang for about 5 minutes with no answer, and then we got the "fast beep" tone and were disconnected. On our second attempt, after a couple of minutes with no answer, someone at the front desk finally answered the phone with a frazzled-sounding "hello." No guest-services announcement, or a "may I help you." To be honest, the guest-services clerk sounded like I was interrupting a personal phone conversation. I was so shocked by this, I actually asked whether I'd reached the front desk, even though I'd pressed the appropriate short-cut button on the phone. I got no response -- rather, the clerk rudely hung up the phone on me. The third time we called, guest services answered after "only" a minute or so, and provided a rushed response to our question regarding internet access.

That was the last straw for us. After a largely sleepless night due to the noisy air conditioning vent and our general uneasiness with the room, we decided to check out early instead of remaining for the full 4 days of our stay. Once we'd indicated that we were leaving early because of the horrific service, the daytime front-desk manager graciously waived the early departure fee, and even comped us a percentage of the room fee. If only the service the night before had been as courteous and prompt! At the very least, I'd say that this Westin suffers from an inconsistency in service. Management would do well to ensure that ALL hotel staff (day or evening) observe the standards that guests have come to expect from the brand. Our short stay at this hotel was way below Westin standards.

We ended up going to a Hilton Garden Inn a couple of blocks away in the Town Center area. Unlike the Westin, the service there was CONSISTENTLY friendly and helpful from the beginning, internet service was free, and our room was odor-free.

There are a couple of "pluses" to this Westin: The location can't be beat, as there are tons of great restaurants and high-end shops just steps away. Also, parking is free, and is easily accessible from the hotel. If the hotel improves the consistency of its service, renovates the problematic rooms, and stops nickle-and-diming for internet access, it could actually turn into a pleasant place to stay. However, due to our disappointing experience at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, we cannot, in good conscience, recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
WestinVABManager, Hotel Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re disappointed to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please let me assure you that your comments will enable us to continue to improve our guest experience.

Should there be additional information regarding the stay you would like to provide or should you require management’s immediate attention, please feel free to email me at robert.dorr@westinvabeach.com.

Reviewed August 21, 2009

The location of this hotel is great. Several wonderful restaurants are within walking distance and the rooms are clean and well appointed. The bathrooms are clean and roomy, the shower is perfection. The beach is a short ride away and I doubt any of the beachfront hotels are this nice. We had dinner at the bar, and both entrees from the restaurant were wonderful. The only negative to an otherwise glowing experience was the breakfast. Service was slow, we were seated at 9:20 and didn't get out until 11:10. Next time we'll have the buffet or eat elsewhere.

1  Thank HarryWNorthCarolina
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Excellent Location. Each night my husband and I would eat at one of the many excellent restaurants and afterwards walk down the well lite streets and listen to the outdoor band playing. The hotel had high end linens and even had for the ladies a special mirror in the bathroom that on one side was magnified for ease in applying make-up if your sight isn't so good. No soda machines at all in the hotel. And when our room was cleaned the first day they never restocked our towels - we were left with just one and when I called they said they would bring it right up and they didn't - I called the next day and they sent some right up.

2  Thank wisconsinbart
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We loved our stay at this hotel. It was in the center of everything a native New Yorker would like: restaurants and shopping. The hotel and room was beautiful and looked as advertised. We drove there, so we were able to take the 10 minute ride to the beach and 5 minute drive to the big shopping mall (there area two small malls each two blocks away. We took advantage of the restaurants in the area, especially the CheeseCake Factory. If your looking for a beautiful hotel in relaxing atmosphere with everything within easy walking distance stay at the Westin. We also enjoyed a night at the local comedy club a block away. Plus the two movie theaters nearby.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple