“2nd Review but this time only for the disappointing Room Service meal”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed February 16, 2014

So, I reviewed the Westin back in Sept '13 and awarded it a four out of five star rating, calling it an "Upscale Pet Friendly Hotel". I'm back again and this review is solely based on the room service that I just experienced. Since I was tired and wanted nothing more than to unwind and relax in my room, I decided to order from the Westin's "In-Room Dining Menu", opting for the Cilantro Lime Citrus Salad. The description read, "Large shrimp, mixed greens, tomato, roasted pepper, cilantro, pepperjack cheese, julienned corn tortilla, tossed with avocado ranch dressing." This sounded good and I imagined 4-5 large/jumbo tail-on shrimp on a bed of greens with a hint of lime and cilantro. Boy, was it a let down. After a reasonable wait, the server rapped on my door with a tray and my salad. I lifted the silver-covered cloche and lo and behold were three teeny weeny shrimp (that looked like came from a can). They were about the size of my pinky nail! I also didn't see any cilantro and the lime-citrus was undetectable.

I literally laughed at the sight of this and called back the room service person as I figured someone should know that the menu description was nowhere near reality. I even took pictures which I'll see if I can attach to this review. Long story short, I really didn't feel like eating it, mostly out of principle. The manager did come by to retrieve my dinner and said she would talk to the kitchen staff to see why the "large" shrimp was more like bait. I decided to order the turkey burger which after waiting for almost an hour, finally arrived (sans tray). It was hideous - over peppered and obviously pre-frozen. Since there was no tray, there was also no salt & pepper. The fries were the best part, but unsalted and bland. Thank goodness for the ketchup. I ate about half the burger and gave up as it wasn't worth it. I recommend to dine at the myriad selection of restaurants nearby the hotel. Next time I'm here (which is typically an enjoyable stay). I'll stick to my habits and eat outside of the hotel. Even if I'm tired...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ellen23456
WestinVBManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding our In-Room Dining. I was dissapointed to hear about your experience. We will be shareing the comments with our kitchen staff to ensure we deliver a quality product. I was glad to see that the manager came up to your room and also remove the In Room Dining charges. Thank you again as we seek to improve our service and quality.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

While a nice hotel, with an ideal location for area shopping and dining, the overall experience was not overly impressive. Uninspired staff was not attentive to minor issues with the room. The food was, honestly, well below average. The hotel has a stale feeling and the hallways smell of cigarette smoke. It was also very cold inside - lobby and restaurant freezing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom F

Thank you for your comments. We will utilize them as training tools for our associates. I was disapporinted to see that our staff was uninspired and not attentive during your stay. Our goal is constant improvement, we again will share these comments with our staff.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My daughter and I were on a one night girls getaway and were pleased with the proximity of this property to nice shopping and restaurants. Since it is winter we weren't concerned about being close to the water on this trip. Upon check-in we were greeted with friendly staff and an open and elegant lobby. We had two small dogs with us and when asked where the walk area was were told they didn't have any but the gentleman explained that some people just go across the street. Yikes, we noticed some small landscaping patches in the central sidewalk area there; not really conducive to "walking" but we figured we'd have to make do (and so would the fur babies).
They told us to park in the garage around the corner and it had an elevator entrance from parking in the lobby so that was really convenient. We drove around and there was a sign across the entrance saying the garage was full. We drove up to a man standing by the sign because we are not shy and sometimes don't take no for an answer. Thank goodness! The garage reserves spots for the hotel - which we weren't told and wouldn't have known if we hadn't been a bit brazen. I feel bad for guests who don't know this and are left to figure it out in a very popular area where parking seems to be at a premium.
Upon arrival to our room we found it clean and comfortable and just as we would have expected for this hotel chain. Except for the large, obvious stain on the carpet next to the dresser/tv stand. I know this is a pets allowed hotel and we have pets but I'm sure a hotel of this size would be able to accommodate guests in rooms without stained carpet while the offending spot is removed by housekeeping. That being said, since the room smelled and looked otherwise clean we didn't mention it (though we probably should have so they wouldn't think we were the source).
Back to the dog walk area.. we took them out for the first time across the street and just strolled down the sidewalk to the end of the block. Low and behold a HUGE dog walk area complete with pet bags and waste container. Really? Does the hotel staff not know about this? I mean it may not be THEIR property but since they are the only hotel on the block and they allow pets and everything else is commercial stores and restaurants you'd think they would be more forthcoming about it.
So, if not for the withholding of the knowledge of the parking garage, secret dog walk park and the carpet stain I would have given them 5 stars. I would definitely stay here again, though.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Lionbug

Thank you for your comments. We truly utilize them to train our staff. We will make sure we include the dog park in our local map and review it with all our staff. We will also discuss with valet the holding of spots and have scheduled the spot removal as well as full carpet clean in your room. Again our goal is to increase our service levels and these comments will definately assist in our goal of being the top hotel in the area.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night to attend a Saturday night party with 150 others. I had no problems here. Ordered a hamburger from room service and it was excellent at $17.
A vending machine on my floor had large sodas for only $1.50. The water in the room was $2.50 a bottle. Loved that there was a small fridge in the room. The bathroom was huge with a great shower head. The Sunday morning breakfast was delicious! The food came immediately and the sausage, eggs and bagel were tasty. The banquet surf and turf meal Saturday night was excellent. Enjoyed the Stein Mart and Kohls shopping stores across the street at the mall. Lots to eat and do in this area. I would recommend this hotel because of all the restaurants and shops that were walkable, including the Dicks Sporting Goods store, connected to the hotel by a breezeway.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Isky

Thank you for your comment I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We truly believe we have the best location in town. Thank you again we will share your comments with our staff.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I made the trip down to Virginia Beach to visit the aquarium. Arriving to a clean open lobby with very friendly hotel staff after a seven hour drive through snow was a plus. Unfortunately everything seemed to go downhill from there.
After returning from dinner we noticed that there was no refrigerator in the room. We went down to the front desk to ask about it and the associate simply told us "Its under the television, a lot of people don't see it. Its there trust me." and essentially told us to go look again. Another trip back up and down the elevator to make sure it was missing another associate (our original one who checked us in) apologized and told us that someone would take care of it right away. As we aren't the type of people to make a big scene we decided to just wait the in the room. OVER ONE AND A HALF HOURS later we had no fridge, no call to the room, nothing. I dialed the service line and the woman on the phone "had no knowledge of a fridge being delivered." After being put on hold for a few minutes, she came back and told us that there were no fridges available for us and that was that. 15 floors worth of rooms and they couldn't source a fridge during the low season. The kicker? the next morning my girlfriend personally went down to front desk to see if we could switch the room and hotel staff magically found a fridge within 10 minutes for the room.

Next after coming back from a day at the aquarium we find the room just as we left it. No new towels or bedsheets, old towels still on the floor where the little hanger tells you to leave them if you want them replaced. We did NOT hang the eco-tag and yet housekeeping didn't show up. After calling the front desk they told us that the hotel was short staffed due to weather and that someone could bring up towels if we really wanted. Now I understand if some people can't get to work due to weather but give us a call, leave a note, grab us in the lobby to let us know, SOMETHING. Don't let your guests just open their rooms when they're expecting housekeeping and expect THEM to find out whats happening.

The last of the problems was trying to use the pool. After everything else we went down to the pool and of course the door is locked and the sign says "sorry for the inconvenience, contact front desk for more info." yet again we call the service phone and were told "maybe they're doing maintenance, give it an hour" Going directly to the front desk, the associate had no idea either. They called maintenance and told us that someone had simply forgotten to remove the sign. Fine, another trip on the elevator and the sign is gone but the door is still locked and the keycard swipe is not working. We gave up essentially just waited to leave the next day.

Typical Westin Rooms in terms of size and cleanliness, but with our terrible experience i can't say we'll be back the next time we're down in VA beach.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChaSiewBao
WestinVBManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered with your stay. We will review your comments with our team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations, as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I made reservations to stay at the Westin in the Va Beach Town Center after attending a B.B. King concert at the Sandler Center for Music & Arts. As soon as we walked in, everything was very open and extremely clean. The check in desk was in the very rear of the lobby though. I was offered to become an SPG member, sure why not...it's free and another point system card. We were then asked which floor we preferred to be on. I requested the highest floor. So we were on level 1500, anything higher are residential lofts.

Upon arriving to our room, I noticed the King Size suites are tucked in the corners of the building in what looks like a pod area. Not bad, very private. The room looked extremely cozy, the bathroom was clean, and the smell of fresh linen was comforting. The hotel also offers 24/7 room service! Unfortunately we did not take advantage of it this time, but plan on doing so on our next visit. Yes, we WILL be coming back.

The only thing that did not sit well with me was the dust in the room. The lamp table by the bedside and the end table next to the lounge chair were very dusty. I could see it from across the room. On top of that, the ottoman was sticky as if a can of soda burst on it and it was never cleaned up. I didn't notice this until it was almost time for us to check out, so I didn't bring it up to the hotel managers.

We were NOT told to fill out a card in order to have breakfast delivered to our rooms. This was something I discovered that we had to do at another hotel we stayed at. Breakfast is then delivered to your door at your specified time. Everything tasted fresh and was soooo amazingly delicious.

Also, their restaurant seemed very small. They did not have a cocktail menu, but had an immaculate wine list. I would have preferred a cocktail menu...

All in all, it was a good experience..although, it could have great.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the town center!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank McAloon_Travelers
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Spent the weekend here for a quick get away…Service is very good…Typical Westin rooms but overall a very good property….Really recommend it as true value--100$ for a larger than normal room and convenient to good restaurants/bars etc….Much better than most Westins…Will be back!!!

Room Tip: 15th floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank cherrypt

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.