“Why give a Handicap room to a Starwood preferred member that doesn't needed and in low season”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I'm staying for one night on short business trip. Located a cross client it was convenient and highly recommended.
We checked in a 8:30
And check out to be at 5:30 the next morning
The check in was fast and friendly.
I was put on the Starwood Preferred member floor , a top floor ,
But I noticed it was an ADA/Handicap accessible bathroom /shower .

Why would I need it as I'm
Not handicapped? Why would they give it to non handicap person, and they should had asked me if there was no other option if I mind.

I find taking a shower in these set ups can be quite messy , and I'm a sure hotel was it busy at all so need to give me a facility I didn't need.

The floor for preferred members doesn't seem to be any special anyway and so, I think they have in hotels -in general- this thing for giving first timers near elevators and handicap bathrooms. WRONG thing to do!

If it wasn't that I'm checking out so early I round have asked for a proper bathroom that fits my need
I find unacceptable to hold these rooms for people that needed them and not ask if I mind it .

So bad customer service to a preferred member and aghast timer in hotel. So beware. Next time I will get the basement level room.

I will be coming back but will look for another option!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank NSCDC
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered with the room type. We will review your comments with our Front Desk team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations, as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I live in the Hampton Roads area. My husband and I decided to stay here for our anniversary due to the location with many great restaurants, movie theater, Sandler Center and shopping within walking distance. Parking is free which is always a plus. The hotel staff were wonderful. They upgraded our room and sent us a complimentary bottle of wine with a hand written note and drawn sketch of the area, once they realized that it was our anniversary. The bed linens were nice, lots of pillow choices. My only complaint was that they no longer have a hot tub, we have stayed previously and always enjoyed the hot tub. Also, if you like to sleep in, remember to put out the do not disturb sign, because housekeeping will knock on your door around 9am and wake you up otherwise.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank VirginiaEspana
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your anniversary with us! We look forward to your return.
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 time so far. I really don't know why I don't stay here more often!!! It's centrally located and walking distance from numerous fine dining restaurants. Mall is just a few blocks away. During my last stay, there was a flood on the floor above me and my room flooded. No damage to any of my stuff and the management moved me very quickly to another room. I got an upgrade with corner window overlooking the town center. No complaints!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Roberta J
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Roberta J
First and most importantly, thank you for choosing the Westin again for your visit to Virginia Beach. We will share all your positive comments about your stay with our team and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon!
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Very attractive hotel in a great location. Staff very friendly and professional! Lobby is very inviting and well done.
Room was very clean with top of the line linens. Definitely worth the $'s.
The Westin maintains their good as a top notch hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ellen d
Ellen D
We are excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit with us in Virginia Beach. We will share and celebrate your comments with our team. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed two nights here recently during a business trip.
- easy access of the main highway - I-264.

Check-in was easy. Lobby is nice and clean as expected from a Westin.
Hotel has bar on premises, and several more locations are within a short walk.
YardHouse for Beers, Sonoma for Wines.

Room was good - except someone turned on the A/C, and the room was a bit frigid upon check-in. Changed the temps with easy, but seemed slow to gain heat as I left, came back and it had only gone up a few more degrees...not near where I had set it - 72. It was around 60.

Room was big and had everything needed - ironing board, iron, coffee pot, etc.
Bed was very comfortable and I appreciated the variety of pillow sizes and firmness.
Bathroom was clean - only issue was the sink drained very slowly.
Towel - soft and large enough
Alarm clock - actually worked
Parking - no fee lot (see note below)

Would recommend: Yes
Would stay at again: On trip to VA Beach - yes!

Recommendation: don't change the soap every day, esp if only used once. Put up "Water Conservation" signs. We all need to do our part.

Room Tip: Ask more details about the parking situation. The concierge told me how to get there, but didn't...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank COTraveller33
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located right in the town center of virginia beach. There are many malls nearby where you shop and dine at. The amenities are new and clean. Service was excellent. Overall, it met the expectations of Westin brand... I would stay there again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jung K
Jung K
On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and that we are your hotel of choice for the future! We look forward to serving you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This hotel is a puzzle. I would give it five stars for the aesthetics and design; one star for overall processes and service. It's a beautiful property, immaculately clean and could be highly functional. Unfortunately, it completely misses in overall execution as an entity that seems to "shoot itself in the foot" at every opportunity. I need hotel stays that are quietly efficient, with no drama. Staying there MUCH more complex and difficult than it needs to be.

I actually stayed in this hotel several years ago. At the time, it was brand new and stunningly attractive, but was understaffed and overwhelmed. I just chalked it up to struggles with a new property and never went back.

This time, the stay started better, then deteriorated quickly. I had called for a last-minute reservation, and the woman on the phone was pleasant and accommodating. However, when I arrived, they had no record of my call. Not to worry...plenty of space. A fairly new desk clerk was almost too customer services oriented (remember, I like no-nonsense, straightforward service), but was sincere and helpful.

The room itself was immaculate and beautifully, functionally appointed. However, it was ice cold and adjusting the thermostat didn't help...it kept blowing cold air. I have allergies and had also been promised an air cleaner machine. I tried to reach Maintenance, but ALL calls go through some "Guest Relations" call center. And here-in lies the problem....and the drama. It took several calls of back and forth to establish the routine with the air cleaner. And several more calls to get someone to look at the HVAC. The maintenace engineer, Scott, was capable and nice, but I was anxious to change clothes and get situated....this all took a couple of hours. Also, the room had no blankets. I was trying to call housekeeping but was connected with Guest Relations. Several more phone calls back and forth, and three visits by a lovely but non-English-speaking housekeeper to ascertain what I meant by "blanket". Bottom line was that the hotel has NO blankets...only comforters inside duvet covers.

When the room was finally situated, I called room service. Even though the phone has extensions to connect with dining service, they do not work. AGAIN, I was connnected with the guest relations desk, who told me there were no printed menus...you have to go through a complicated 9-screen process on the television to find the menu (which is very limited). A lot of back and forth discussion on food with Guest Relations; consulting with the kitchen, then getting back with me. When food was eventually delivered to my room, it looked awful. My "medium rare" steak was gray (well-done). My order of "extra" vegetables consisted of a garnish amount of asparagas. Several more back and forth calls with guest relations while they consulted the kitchen, two more visits from room service (one for the vegetable, one for the steak), a call from the front desk manager, then the front desk manager coming to the room to ascertain satisfaction! I don't want the front office manager in my room...I want to put on my jammies! Good customer service is quiet, discreet and hassle-free. Someone needs to let them know! The one service area that seemed to worked well was the valet, but it's almost $30 to park your car overnight.

The whole process was exhausting. This is a beautiful property that just can't seem to get it together. What a disappointment!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank regulartraveler705
Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations with our team as we continue to encourage and train on giving outstanding Westin service to our guests. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to serving you again soon.