“Great Hote;”

Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
London
“Great Hote;”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We got a weekend rate for about $142, the girls at check in were efficient.
The hotel room was clean and the space was good; for two.
This hotel is almost brand new, nice and modern and has a non-smoking policy; and they use some kind of deodorizer that just smells great.

The area is great for walking at nights, with great restaurants, pubs, cafes, a public area with tables and chairs surrounded by a fountain.

Also the beach is pretty close if you are driving, and public parking is not expensive.

Future cons: JUDGING BY THE QUALITY OF THE FURNITURE IF THEY DON'T CHANGE IT OFTEN, THE ROOMS ARE GOING TO LOOK RUNDOWN PRETTY FAST.

• Liked — It Was Almost Brand New
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank LondonTraveler9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Maine
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed here for our honeymoon and can't wait to go back! The Westin is the tallest building in the center of VA beach. If you want to stay away from the bustle of the actual touristy beach area, stay here! It is about 8 miles (10 minute drive) from the boardwalk area. The Westin is less than one year old and beautiful inside! It is very modern and also features a Mediterranean restaurant and bar in the lobby. We LOVED the fact that this hotel has everything you need within walking distance. Shopping, great food, and entertainment. PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, Sumatra Spa, great bars and other restaurants are right around the corner. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Housekeepers went above and beyond! Incredible hotel, highly recommended!

• Liked — Near everything
  • Disliked — You have to pay for internet access
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heid4882
Virginia
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I stayed here during a business trip and liked it very much. I thought this hotel had a very "Zen" feel -- modern and clean with minimal decoration. I stayed in room 1414, a corner room on the 14th floor with ceiling to floor windows on 2 walls. This is a new hotel, so the rooms include modern lighting, flat panel TVs, cool showers, etc. There is a very nice workout room (better than most hotel workout rooms) with new equipment. There are several great places to eat within steps of the hotel: McCormicks and Schmidts, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, and a few local spots. Roomservice was good, too. Also, try Chocolate Royal one block over for everything chocolate . . .it is one of my new favorite places.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mrae1972
kitty hawk, nc
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I stayed here a couple of nights on my own and felt very safe and comfortable.

Had just a couple of issues:
When I first checked in, I noticed a few holes that seemed like they might be burn marks on my comforter, which I thought was quite odd, considering this was a non-smoking hotel. (You can see it in my pictures). I called housekeeping and a gentleman was very nice and said he would come up and change it...he came up a little later with a lady from housekeeping who seemed to be irritated by having to come up - but he was very apologetic and I walked out of the room as they changed the comforter. I later noticed a burn mark on the desk, but never mentioned it to them...
The only other issue I had was that I asked for the sheets to be changed the next day by putting my sign on the bed and housekeeping just ignored it ( I had seen a mark of some sort on it before going to bed, so I just ended up sleeping on the ither side of the bed thinking I'd get them to change the sheets the next day-I'm a little weird about my bed linens-I sometimes even bring my own from home!). I did not tell anyone at the hotel about this. I kind of felt like I had been given the smallest, "used" room because I had booked through Priceline and only paid $80 a night...

There were a few highlights:
The shower with two heads was great and the water pressure and temperature was just right the whole time (I think someone mentioned they didn't get hot water). Towels were pretty nice, too...
When I forgot to get a fork or spoon from the Cheesecake Factory for my tasty dessert, I called the front desk to see if they had any plastic forks or spoons. The woman who answered was so nice and accomadating - she sent someone up with silver ware and a cloth napkin within 5 minutes! Something I totally didn't expect...

In all, I would recommend this place and would probably stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The view I had from my window
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank bearzoo
pittsburgh
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed three nights and visited the beach each day. While it's not as convienent as something ocean front, it made sense for us and I do love Westins and appreciated the nice hotel away from the crazy boardwalk. I was very aggravated that I could not get wireless internet. It didn't work (I was up for paying the 10 dollars per day even though its nuts) but it wasn't working. Nobody at the front desk could help me- and the business center computer costs 7 dollars per 15 minutes!! Even the nearby Starbucks charges for wifi and you have to sign up ahead of time online. No help in a jam. If you go- plan to go to Panera across the street to get online.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank mlh196Pittsburgh
alaska
Reviewed June 19, 2008

solid hotel located in "downtown" virginia beach. didn't experience anything spectacular, but also didn't experience a single problem. arrived late and left early so didn't get to experience much of the hotel.

the interior and exterior looked new and modern. the lobby was small, clean. front desk seemd comicly small.

room was very comfortable, including the "heavenly bed". flat screen tv. large bathroom, shower had dual showerhead (favorite part).

immediate area seemed to have some hipper restaurants/bars; exxonmobil convenience store just 2 blocks or so from hotel also. parking is free in the garage.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank egatesgtesagd
Washington DC
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I am a big fan of the Westin chain, so when it was time to make a decision on where to stay for the holiday weekend, my husband and I didn't hesitate to book this location. Checking in was great, but once we got to the room, the first thing I could we smell was the lingering odor of cigarettes.I made my observations of the room known to the bell boy, and he acted to so oblivious to what was going on. Being the little detective I am, I did a walk through of the room and found the room to be dusty and bathroom to be quite unsanitary. After a long day at work and a long trip, all I wanted to do was lay in my "heavenly bed" and go to sleep ( the sheets were clean). I could go on and on about how disorganized management is and how this particular Westin reminds me of the "Four Points" in Williamsburg, but I bet, they could care less.

The only good thing I have to say is, the location is very convenient with lots of restaurants and shopping. The performing arts center is also right across the street.

• Liked — The Location and "heavenly bed"
  • Disliked — The staff, Cleaniness of the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple