“Not for the Beach part of Virginia Beach”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not for the Beach part of Virginia Beach”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I decided last minute to be with son and family as they spent the Fourth of July holiday in their condo on the beach at Virginia Beach. No room at the usual nearby beach hotels and the Westin turned up in a web search as the closest "name" hotel.
At $495 for two nights with taxes and fees included, I found it very expensive for an ordinary comfortable room. And there was nothing special about the rest of the hotel -- rather spartan public spaces. The major downside for me was that it was a long and traffic-clogged slog to the beach on a busy holiday weekend. If you are doing business in the Va. Beach Town Center, it would make good sense. There are numerous restaurants in walking distance. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it offers easy access to the pleasures of the beach area.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nmurphy576
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We sincerely regret that you encountered the busy traffic during the fourth of July holiday weekend and for the inconvenience it caused you and your family. We hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Reviewed July 8, 2013

To be clear, this hotel is about 15 minutes from the beach. So if your main objective is to wake up and hit the beach, this is not the hotel for you. However, if you want to see more of VA beach than just the ocean, then this hotel is perfectly situated 15 minutes from the beach, Norfolk, and several other attractions.

The hotel also sits in a "town center" which has great grounds, including a fountain, several entertainment venues, restaurants, and shops. Our room was great (nothing amazing, but clean and in good repair), and we had no issues bringing our pups along with us. I will say that the hotel has lots of dogs staying there, so if your dogs don't get along with others (or droves of small children) consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Roobifood
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.
North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels. Any city I'm in I try to stay @ a Westin I love those heavenly beds. After our horrible experience at the Sheraton Waterside this hotel was like a breath of fresh air. We checked in around midnight. The front desk person upgraded us to a Deluxe room as soon as he found out what happened to us and not to mention we were in town to celebrate our anniversary. That was a pleasant surprise. The hotel lobby was very chic and clean, great business center area. We were also given two tickets for a free breakfast at the Westin Restaurant which did not disappoint. The room was enormous. The beds were heavenly..lol HOWEVER...the Westin could use some updating. The halls leading to the rooms were dull and very beat up. Some of the seating in the rooms were in bad shape. The bathroom was roomy although the showers are very small, good for one person at a time. The location is fantastic!!! Right across the street is the performing arts center where they have concerts, also there are lots of restaurants, bars, etc all within walking distance of the hotel although it seems like the locals hang out at the bar inside the Westin. The service was excellent. We would stay again.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms are great. 13th floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simplyone_25
We are excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit with us in Virginia Beach. We will share and celebrate your comments with our team. One additional note we wanted to share is that our hallways will be getting a complete upgrade this fall. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Bratt, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location for business. Park the car in the free connected garage and walk everywhere. Small mall a few blocks away, wonderful food choices everywhere, even Wednesday night free concert in the outdoor space right across the street.

The building was spacious. My room was large, with a king bed, desk, easy chair, minifridge and dresser. The bathroom was reasonably modern. The environmental unit was consistent, if a bit noisy. The bedding plush and plenty of pillows! :-)

No free amenities. Wifi was $9.99 a day. Continental breakfast was $12. However, for opting to skip maid service, I got a $5 card to use in the Starbucks in the lobby (or the bar). I took advantage of that all three days. For $5 I can reuse a towel and make my own bed. I liked the option.

Where this property falls short is in the pride of upkeep. The construction was obviously overseen by Westin. Quality touches are there. But in the daily maintenance there was no pride. My wallpaper had been reglued in several places. I wouldn't have noticed, except for the big white pasty handprints on the wall, ceilings, & doorframes. There was some damage around the bathroom fan that was just painted over instead of any sanding/patching being done. The shaving mirror in my bathroom was broken, as was the curtain pull rod. All just little things, but things I didn't expect to find at a Westin. Either they need a new maintenance contractor or the manager should follow up on his work.

2 Thank kmaFL
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will celebrate your positive comments with our team. We will also use your other observations for continued training with our engineering team to correct these issues and make sure they do not occur again moving forward. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.
Glasgow
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Room furnishings, linens etc. were of a high standard, although there was room for improvement in terms of cleaning. A room service tray was left in my room two days running, and the room was dusty in places.

More information on the facilities and services could have been provided on check-in. I was not told where to find the pool, gym or wifi key.

Whilst my experience was slightly disappointing, it won't deter me from staying again when next staying in the area. The hotel location is great and there is a plethora of nice restaurants nearby.

2 Thank MimiGlasgow
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered with the in room dining tray not being removed by our housekeeping service. We will use your observations for continued training with our housekeeping team to make sure this is corrected. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed in this area for business many times. It is close to high season and I have to say that Tanya W (I believe she is one of the front desk managers) went over and above to ensure my accommodations and requests were met. I am extremely thankful and the hotel is great. It's a nice area with good restaurants, but there is nothing like a Westin IMO. Not on the beach so if that is your preference this is not for you, but everything else about the hotel is rock solid. Thanks Tanya for making my trip happen.

4 Thank Mike S
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will celebrate your positive comments with our front desk team and specifically Tanya! Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here because it was pet friendly. The location is very convenient to restaurants and a little shopping. Parking is convenient as well. Very nice hotel, room, etc. That being said, if I was coming without my dog I would have looked for something close to the beach. No complaints.

2 Thank vandpstewart
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments concerning you recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit Virginia Beach!