New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Westin Virginia Beach Town Center

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Congrats to the valet that stayed dry on a rainy night...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The front desk personnel working the night of Feb 13 and morning of Feb 14, as well as the valet working the stand the morning of February 14 exhibited all the characteristics that Westin wants their employees to convey...Valet working the night of Feb 13 hung back at the stand and let me hop out of my car. I guess he didn't want to get wet (it was raining). His timing was off...asked me if I wanted a bellhop after I started pulling out my luggage. I had just driven in the rain for 4.5 hours/attended a 1.5 hour meeting down the street so I was tired, but I understand that the valet isn't a mind reader....hope he understood why I didn't open my wallet for him!
Bland, neutral decor in the room, but the bed was comfortable and the thermostat easy to figure out. Carpet stained under the nightstand. Door in bathroom was chipped (as if someone had taken a crowbar to it)...surprising these details were overlooked in a Westin but not as surprising as getting in the shower the following morning to discover that the shampoo and conditioner were half-full! Maybe the hotel was trying to save money.
I would give the room an average, but the hotel gets a "very good" due to 3 of the 4 employees I encountered being super courteous and kind, and for the great location.

Room Tip: Room to the right of the elevator on 7th floor will give you a view of the parking garage roof.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mach91
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We will celebrate your positive comments with our front desk. We will also use your other observations for continued training with our housekeeping team as well as our valet team to make sure this does not occur again moving forward. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered in these areas. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations, as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights during our move from VB. We had an excellent rate for military but not sure I would have wanted to pay full rate . The location is excellent - within walking distance to all the restaurants in the Town Centre and with easy road access to Norfolk and other areas, which is why we chose it. The lobby is smart and there is a coffee shop, and on site restaurant too, which we did not visit. I had a couple of exchanges with the reception staff who were pleasant and professional, but not especially warm and welcoming on the whole. The room was on the 8th floor - standard double queen with a great view out towards Norfolk, which you could see lit up at night and which afforded us some lovely sunset views too, although below us was the top floor of the carpark, so not massively picturesque if you looked down. The beds were super comfy with great bed linen and the room was quiet, which was just what we needed. I ordered a lunch time salad one day by room service. I ordered it at 10.30 and requested it for 11 and it arrived at 11.20. It was tasty, but pricey as you expect for room service, once all the taxes/gratuities etc are added on - around $20 for the salad and a coke.
My biggest gripe with the hotel was that wifi cost $9.99 each 24 hour period, not even a discount if you stayed for longer. I appreciate that there is a business centre with use of 3 pcs and a printer which was good, but I feel it is slightly cynical in this day and age to charge for in room wifi, and this did irritate me.Even membership of the hotel loyalty scheme did not include free wifi as it does with Kimpton , for example. Wifi is available for free down the road in various restuarants ( like Panera Bread) so it should not be too tricky for Westin to implement this.
Parking is also free and plentiful in the multi story car park next door with lift service into the hotel lobby which is a bonus.
On the whole a nice stay in a typical business hotel with just the wifi charge leaving me wanting, which is the main reason I gave the hotel 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up - better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Alison R
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Feb. 9th-12th visiting a friend of mine. Let me start by saying that I travel exclusively, all over the world. This is by far, the worst hotel I've ever stayed in over 20 years of traveling. First, I will say that the lobby was ok, but the shock was when I got off the elevator to go to my room. My friend was with me and was embarrassed by what was seen. Immediately was the shock of completely gross carpet in the halls and cuts, scrapes, and black marks all over the walls! Disgusting! The carpert was so filthy and completely stained. My heart was pounding as I went to my room. You guessed it...practically the same except the carpet was ok. There were stains and marks all over the walls, ear wax on the phone, stained, worn furniture, room not dusted, room did not smell clean..etc, etc...I can go on and on. I called and asked that the manager come to examine the room. When he showed up, I was in disbelief that he looked at all the complaints and told me that the hotel was 'soon' to begin renovations and he couldn't explain why there were white, powdery substance all over the walls, never commented on the ear wax on the phone, stained furniture....He did however, showed me another room which wasn't any better. I was stuck as I needed to be in the Town Center area.

Then to add more insult, I went downstairs to the bar for a drink to calm me down. I was a little hungry after my flight so I decided to order the fried oysters on the menu. I found hair in my food! It was a long piece of reddish blonde hair. When I told the bartender about this, she looked at my plate and said, ''Oh, thats so disgusting. Let me see if it's my hair''!! WTH....really Westin.....

I will NEVER stay here again, or any brand of its kind and have told my friends all about my experience at this Westin. It's such a shame because the location deems a hotel that should be a five star rating.

Last, it is also a pet friendly hotel. Thus being said, I saw six different dogs during my stay, and I must say that three of the dogs were in dire need of a bath. So, think if you will. Poor, uncleaned, disgusting rooms combined with smelly dogs....GO FIGURE...

Room Tip: Run as fast as you can from this place!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Patra69
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered. As you mentioned, we are completing the renovation of the rooms and hallways. As you also mentioned, we are a pet friendly hotel as is the entire brand and do all we can to accommodate both our guests with pets as well as those without. We will review your comments with our team as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family stays at the Westin in Town Center every time we visit VB. My husband has stayed here literally hundreds of nights since opening. It is his home away from home, and ours, too, when we visit.
I've never before stayed at a property where the staff works so hard to make you feel welcome, greet you by name, treat you like family. Jay and Tanya have taken extra care of my husband while he travels on business. They've hooked him up with one beautiful room after another, worked through reservation issues, fed him when he arrives, exhausted, late at night - you get the picture. Mark, at the valet desk, goes out of his way to be helpful any way he can. He always has a smile on his face and behaves as if any favor you ask is truly no problem.
The property is beautiful, and meticulously maintained. The rooms we've had have lots of natural light. The decor is modern, tasteful and relaxing. We love the comfortable beds, too. I normally don't sleep well in hotels, but these beds knock me out!
Our kids love visiting, too. Some delicious, freshly-baked cookies found their way into our room during their last visit. They didn't last long! Good thing there's a pool to work off the sugar.
The location is terrific. Town Center offers a wide range of restaurants and fun boutiques, all within walking distance. It's a quick drive to the oceanfront, downtown Norfolk, Mt. Trashmore playground and park, and the property connects directly to a HUGE Dick's Sporting Goods store.
Whether you're traveling for business or on a family vacation, this is a great place to stay. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We like the East-facing rooms, although we havent had a bad one yet. The corner king rooms are reall...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Susan O
We are excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit with us. We will share and celebrate your comments with our team, especially Tanya, Mark, and Jay from our Front Desk Team. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stay here a few times a year, and this is what it is like . . . From the moment you pull up to the valet counter, the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center lives up to the Westin brand name. Luggage and self safely inside the revolving door, you can take in the surroundings with the clear glass staircase ascending adjacent to the water wall, the seating, and the expansive front desk. Elevators are conveniently located to whisk you to your room which has got one of those amazingly comfortable Westin beds, and a great bathroom with all the contemporary style, yet the warmth of home. Only stay a minute though, because the Sandler Center shows and dozens of high quality resteraunts wait across the street including Indian, Chinese, seafood an excellent steak house and others. Then, take a twenty minute drive to overlook the ocean on the famous Virginia Beach boardwalk before finishing off the night at the jazz club adjacent to the front door of your hotel. Breakfast in the morning can start with Starbuck's and finish in the nice restaraunt just off the lobby with healthy and some not-so-healthy selections! All are tasty!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank World_Pax
Charlotte
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a typical Westin Hotel- Always nice, good size, clean rooms and friendly staff. There are lots of good restaurants and bars within walking distance. Make sure you don't stay in your room to eat. The in room menu is very limited, only appetizers. The workout facilty is pretty good. Treadmills and ellipticals and limited free weights, some machines and a pool. The bar is fairly nice but I would recommend walking to other bars very close by. This is a pretty good but not great hotel if staying for business in VA Beach. For the price it is worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FrankMWhite
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We use comments like yours to plan future renovations to help give our guests the most outstanding experience possible.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I like the Westin product. I genuinely enjoy their hotels. I find the lobbies to be very welcoming. The white tea scent just invites me in. The decor makes me feel at home. The rooms are typically very well appointed and very comfortable. The linens are soft and the beds are create a good night of sleep. Customer Service is normally beyond expectations. With all that said, I was looking forward to staying at the Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. The location is perfect with shops, restaurants and bars all within walking distance. A perfect combo! I was greatly disappointed.

Sure, the lobby, scent, decor, and room appointments were all there in true Westin fashion. But two many things went wrong. Strike one - the valet service is atrocious. I called fifteen minutes before leaving my room. I arrived at the front doors only to find my car not there. The valet driver then disappeared inside for another fifteen minutes. After waiting impatiently, I found an employee who fetched the valet from a break room. He then went to get my car. We are not at forty five minute wait and I was late to my client appointment. However, the front desk did make it up by comping the valet. Tell that to my client...

Strike two - I HAD A COLD SHOWER ON MY SECOND MORNING!!!! This is absolutely unacceptable. I complained to the front desk and they sighted a mechanical issue. I was comped 3,000 SPG points.

Strike three - I had an erroneous room charge on my bill from the snack shop. At this point, I was tired of dealing with erros and "make ups". Management has to get a grip or corporate has to install new managment. "I'm sorry" only works so many times.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TheWanderingGourmand
Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations, specifically concerning the valet team out front as we continue to encourage and train on giving outstanding Westin service to our guests.