“Decent hotel, but not exactly Virginia Beach”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip because I had a free day while in Virginia and figured why not stay in Virginia Beach, as the weather was still warm in the early fall. I knew the hotel wasn't beachfront, but I didn't realize it was at least (I say at least because traffic was really bad and it took much longer) 15 mins away, on a good day. Oh well...

The hotel itself seemed very new and was part of the newish Town Center development, which contains a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance. There must be a corporate presence somewhere around there, otherwise I'm not sure why people would elect to stay in this part of town.

The lobby was beautiful. The fitness center was very spacious and clean (the only negative there was that there was only 1 heavily used yoga mat - seriously?!). My room had standard Westin decor. The room and hall walls and doors already looked like they had taken a beating.

Room service was well-priced for the area and came quickly. Service express requests came quickly, including a request to fix my toilet, which kept running. The downside there was that, though the man came quickly to fix it, his fix did not work, and my toilet ran throughout my stay.

I thought the value was the best part, based on my hotels.com rate of $155/night. This included free parking.

For my purposes, I probably wouldn't schlep out through traffic to get to this hotel again, but it was a satisfactory stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us. We will share them with our team. Concerning your question on whether there is a corporate presence, we find that our guests stay in Town center for many reasons including the proximity to both the Virginia Beach area, the Norfolk, area, and the Chesapeake areas; for the many restaurant options offered, free parking, and because of the Westin quality. We are also in the process of beginning the plans to renovate all of our sleeping room and hallway carpets this winter. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Visited Virginia Beach for my son's Navy promotion ceremony. Nice Hotel with well appointed rooms. Comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Refrigerator in the room. Walking distance to restaurants in Town Center. Pet friendly, my daughter was able to keep her dog in the room. Smokers beware: This is a completely non-smoking hotel and you must go outside to smoke. It would be nice if management put a bench in the smoking area in front of the hotel. The hotel does not have a parking garage, but you can park in the public garage for free (park in white lined spaces not red lined spaces) and there is a direct elevator to the hotel lobby. Valet parking is very pricey @ $24 per day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank onegadfly101

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay and excited that others will take from your feedback what a truly wonderful hotel we have. Safe travels and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I embarked on a nine day trip on our Spyder motorcycles. We can't have reservations, because we never know where we will end up due to weather and other riding conditions. We came into VA Beach expecting to find a room on the beach but could not since they were all booked. Helpful staff at the Marriott helped us find a room at the Westin which is not on the beach, but was a nice find. It is located in the city, at "Town Center" which is a nicely developed area with great restaurants surrounding it and a mall within walking distance. We treated ourselves to dinner at Ruth Chris and that was the great part about this location. The beds contained great linens, comfortable pillows and the bed was terrific. The room smelled fresh and clean, not like bleach, and the amenities were top notch. You do need to pay for wifi, which I do not like to do, but the room was $155 on Saturday night, which was not too shabby. If you live within easy driving distance, this would be a nice romantic overnight spot, nice dinner, nice room. The lobby is very nice, clean, modern with a shop for necessities, a bar and a a restaurant that is connected. Very good quality hotel in a good location if you are not there for the beach. The shower was an amazing dual head cascading shower. Great night of sleep before we hit the road again.

Room Tip: If you want a view, you will probably have to ask for it. We ended up looking at the highway and the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank redheadMA

It sounds like your 9 day trip was an exciting and pleasant one! Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us here at the Westin. We could not agree with you more in your observations concerning how the Westin combined with all that the Towncenter area offers makes for a great experience. Again thank you for your comments, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed for one night. The property is recently constructed, very clean and bright. Staff was friendly at check-in, though did not mention how to locate and use the parking garage. The room was basic Westin--very clean and comfortable, though had the same dust buildup we noticed during our last Westin stay in Boston. Hope it isn't becoming a brand-wide issue. The hotel is located within a master-planned commercial area, with many restaurants and shops within a two-block radius. We enjoyed breakfast in the lobby restaurant where service was quick and the food was good and plentiful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations with our team, both the positive as well as the challenges specifically concerning the dust buildup as we continue to encourage and train on giving outstanding Westin experience.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

For me the best part of this hotel is it's location. When I travel alone for business I appreciate being able to park the car and walk to restaurants, bars, shopping etc.. I really enjoyed the countless good restaurants and bars well within walking distance.
As far as the hotel it was nice, nothing spectacular but I would stay here again. I had reserved a one king bed and there was none upon my arrival. I took the two queens and was put not only by the elevator but the maids store room area. So it was a bit noisy in the hallway. Luckily there isn't alot of rooms on each floor so the elevator noise didn't keep me up all night. The room was very quiet in respect to not hearing your neighbors and I had a great view of the city center from my 10th floor room.
Parking is free and I didn't have any problems finding a spot but it is free public parking for the center and I can see that it can get very busy depending on different events happening.
I loved there White Tea Aloe bath products and the heavenly bed and shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city center on a high floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank VLHessel

On behalf of the entire Westin team here in Virginia Beach, thank you for the positive comments you have shared. We are so pleased to hear about your wonderful stay with us and hope that we will have the chance to serve you again soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Travel to Norfolk VA frequently on business and had not stayed at Westin VB until this month. It is a great hotel in a great location. Lots of different places to eat.....great rooms.......lovely people working there. Will definitely stay there on my future visits to the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Marie S

We are excited to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit with us in Virginia Beach. We will share and celebrate your comments with our team. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wonderful and friendly front desk service from Tanya Whitson. I had a really nice and relaxing evening. The room was so comfortable. I was exhausted after helping my daughter move into the Cosmopolitan. I'm sure I'll be back. Virginia Beach Town Center is a perfect location: convenient and exciting. I hope this is 200 characters.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Stephanie B

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations with our team and will specifically recognize Tanya from our front desk for her role in making your stay a positive experience.