“Not Happy”

Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at the Westin with my boyfriend on a Saturday because a friend was having her wedding there. I had booked the romance package that was a king room, chocolate strawberries, sparkling wine, breakfast and a 4pm checkout, “subject to availability”. I had intentions of hosting some of the guests from the bridal shower in my room for champagne prior to the start of the wedding. Well we checked in and found that there was no mini ridge in the room. What hotel doesn't have a mini ridge in the room? How did that miss the room inspection prior to allowing me to check in? I went down to the man at the front desk and he said he would see what he could do. He also asked “What time did I want to stay till in the am?” and I said as late as possible. He had told me that 2pm was the best he could do. I understand that it was subject to availability, but don't ask how late I'd like to stay if I paid extra for 4pm check out. There also was no sort of compensation for my shorted checkout. Nearly an hour later he calls the room to tell me that they could hold my refrigerated items down stairs. For $260 a night I would like to not be inconvenienced with having to go down stairs for a cold drink, especially when I was hosting guests. When I told him I needed a ridge in the room, he told me that they didn't have any available. I told him I'm going to need to switch rooms and I needed to speak with a manger..they sent a ridge up. Right behind that was the wine and strawberries that were asked to be sent up when I checked in awhile ago. I called back down to get 4 more champagne glasses, and they never came. It was a good thing there was plastic cups in the room...The next day, I called to order our breakfast around 10am. We had a $50 credit. I ordered 2 pancakes, eggs, bacon & hash brown meals, 2 Orange juices, 2 waters & a fruit bowl. The meal came to $56 and I've had better breakfast at IHOP. They also forgot a plate of eggs, bacon & hash browns and the rest was all cold. My fruit salad was horrible. The strawberries were soft and the honeydew looked like it had been cut up days ago. I was very unhappy and they only reason I didn't have another sent up was because it took and hour and a half the first time. We ended up checking out around 1pm and got a real meal. The hotel was extremely clean however the customer service needs much improvement (and the food! which is way over priced for the quality). I will not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: don't order room service
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lauren c
WestinVAManager, Manager at Westin Virginia Beach Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments. On behalf of the entire team, I apologize for the challenges you encountered concerning getting your beverages chilled and delivered on time as well as the unsatisfactory food you received. We will review your comments with our front desk and kitchen team to make sure this does not occur again moving forward. I will also be checking with our reservation coordinator to see what can be done about the confusing late check-out verbiage you reference. Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations, as it allows us to continue to improve our guest experiences.

There are newer reviews for Westin Virginia Beach Town Center

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel very much met expectations. It is in a great location - perfect walking distance to tons of shopping and restaurants. We were there for a dance competition at the perfoming arts center across the street, and literally never drove anywhere. The beds were very comfortable, and the lobby was nice and spacious - a great gathering place at night! The only downfall was the menu in the restaurant was very limited and expensive for what they served. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank teachca
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I moved to this hotel last minute after checking out of a dreadful property closer to the beach. This property was a delightful find beautiful decor bright spacious lobby area. The rooms were spacious and comfortable the bathroom was beautiful. Free parking is always a plus and the fact that this property thought to add plenty of outlets was a huge plus. My husband and I were traveling with out the kids on business and the room was comfortable enough for us both to have multiple devices connected so we could work. Great location in the town center area with great dinning and shopping options we were able to get out and walk to restaurants during our down time. I was actually at a conference that was hosted at the property I check out if and although this property was 20 minutes away from the conference and the main beach area it was worth the drive! My advice is to stay at this beautiful property and have a great hotel experience you can drive down to the beach at your leisure !

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Nmso
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is in a nice location in the Town Center of Virginia Beach, VA. The building stands out on the small central district - it's the tallest building in the area as a landmark. We were expecting a 4-5 star service but only received 2-3 star service. There are not a lot of services in the building for guests, but the Town Center has a lot of stuff to do. Good restaurants, nice shops, for a up and coming downtown. The Hotel just lacked the status of the name, it was not easy to get help trying to stay another night due to business commitments on the next day. Overall, below the standards one would expect from the "Westin" name.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Haverhill_MAKenMac

Thank you for sharing your observations. We apologize that we were not able to offer an additional night during your stay in Virginia Beach. Unfortunately, especially during the summer time, the commitment to guests that have reserved rooms limits us from offering additional nights to our guests in house. We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you next time you are in the Hampton Roads area.

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is up to a normal Westin Hotel Standard. Note: this is a pet friendly hotel. My husband and i stayed here last weekend on a whim. we wanted a hotel that was not on the beach, so it was perfect. The heavenly beds are SO DAMN comfortable. There are plenty of retaurants, shops within walking distance. Good price especially for the beds.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank TravelerwKidsandWO
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The customer service was unacceptable. The valet (which cost over $20) was never pleasant and never opened my door. I tried calling for room service at around 11pm and no one answered so I walked to the gas station. I was extremely embarassed to have chosen this hotel as our honeymoon hotel, since the expereince was nothing like the Westin I stayed at while I was in Seattle. The only thing somewhat enjoyable about our stay was the comfortable bed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to share your comments. We will review all of your observations, specifically concerning the valet team out front as we continue to encourage and train them on giving outstanding Westin service to our guests.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 wonderful nights at this hotel this month. We found the property to be attractive and inviting, the employees very friendly, the bed very comfortable and the breakfast each morning outstanding! The Town Center location is terrific....you can walk to many nearby restaurants and shops and a performing arts center was right across the street. We really enjoyed the live music on Wed. night in the patio area across the street where you could sit, enjoy a glass of wine or bottle of beer, buy food and listen to great live music. We hope to return there again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple