“Nice Hotel, but the Service Needs Some Help” 3 of 5 bubbles

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Nice Hotel, but the Service Needs Some Help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

First time in VA Beach and really had no idea where to stay. After getting alot of feedback from others on TripAdvisor.com, many suggested the SpringHill Suites.

Overall, it was a nice hotel, but the service really needs some help. From when we arrived at the front desk and Destinee checked out in, there was little focus on interacting with the guest. Destinee basically asked for the drivers license and credit card, then gave us our keys and that was it. No, "Hi, is this your first time here", "Where were you traveling from", "Need any help with your luggage", etc.

Destinee did ask for a telephone number, but again never explained herself well as to why she was requesting it. Either she doesn't enjoy her job and simply goes through the motions of doing the minimal amount necessary. We did find the staff to be younger than typical and there seemed to be a lack overall respect to the guests.

Cannot recall once when passing any of the staff in the hallways did they ever say "Hello" or greet you...very disappointing.

One thing they really needs to address are the card readers. We had problems with both the reader for the key on our door, the back door next to the gym going to the outside, and the elevator to the parking garage. We even addressed this issue with the front desk and there response was, "Yes, the card keys work, but especially the reader on the back door can be a problem". This should be fixed instead of having the guest be inconvenienced.

A nice hotel, but the service definitely makes the overall experience nothing more than average which you can get at plenty of hotel in VA Beach.

Would we return or recommend this specific location? Probably not. When you are paying nearly $200 per night, a little friendly service can go a long way and makes a difference between an average experience, to making it stand out in your mind and wanting to return to the same place next time.

Sorry SpringHill Suites, but the service is not up to Marriott standards, let alone the standards of many other hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FairfieldManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 18, 2010
On behalf of the entire staff, I wish to apologize for not providing you with the experience you have every right to expect when staying at a Marriott property and thank you for letting us know how we may improve. I agree that it is service that makes the difference and it seems well fell short in this area during your stay. We do value you as a guest and we always make sure we address all problems guest unfortunately experience. I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again so we may provide you with the level of quality and service that you expect and deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 6 days in June of this year and loved it! The location is good - a little off the center, but close to a new playground (built just last year), which is especially valuable if you travel with 2 little children. The breakfast was very nice, but do not expect a variaty of all-inclusive resorts. We started to get a little bored by the breakfast by day 4. But I have to admit that this is the best briekfast I have ever seen in the US hotels. The room was clean and nice. The staff is friendly.
Minor issues:
- Internet connection was very unstable. If it is important for you, consider another place.
- Door problem. The key (card) was working every other time and we had to call for help. Steve (door guy) would come right away, but after 3 times of calling him, it was very annoying...
Otherwise, everything was very nice. We had a good experience. I definitely consider coming back and recommend staying at the hotel.
I almost forgot! They have Mad Science Show at the hotel every Thursday, which I and my kids LOVED!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating during your stay and that you enjoyed our family entertainment. I do apologize that you experienced issues using the wireless internet and key in your guestroom. I will certainly look into these matters for resolution. We look forward to your visiting us again the next time you are in Virginia Beach!
Ringoes, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

We stayed in this hotel on our way to N. Carolina 3 years ago. Back then it was brand new, and everything was in tip top shape. Great location, and the suites fit our needs for our stopover. We just returned from the same visit to N. Carolina, making the SpringHill Suites once again our stopover. I had been reading how this hotel has gotten beaten up, and figured it wouldn't be as nice as when we stayed. It wasn't. But I didn't let it bother me too much, it's still a nice hotel. It was completely booked, with several weddings and a surfing competition. I am a Marriott rewards member, and have high floor checked as one of my preferences. When we got there to check in at 4 p.m. I was surprised to learn they had us on the 2nd floor. I objected, and the agent told me that someone (it wasn't me) had called and specifically asked for the 2nd floor, so that room was blocked off for us. What???? How can that be, since not only is it in my profile, but was also clearly documented on my reservation confirmation. I was told there were no more rooms of our type available, as we were the last ones checking in of that room type. Find that a little hard to believe since we checked in right at 4 p.m. (the stated check in time on their website), and the hotel was completely booked. It worked out ok, though since the balconies on the 2nd floor are much bigger. Still, I wonder what happened w/ the person who actually requested a 2nd floor room??

The other problem was at the pool, there was only one person working at the bar. We waited 1/2 hour for 2 beers, and over 45 minutes for French fries. It wasn't her fault, but the management needs to staff the pool area better on busy weekends when the place is completely booked.

Breakfast was ok. Very crowded, but a big selection. Valet parkers were very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff also very friendly and helpful.

As far as the room - it wasn't the cleanest. I had to plug in my sound machine and there was tons of dust behind the side table. The bathroom was not as clean as I would like it to be (toilet had "stuff" around the bolts which fasten the toilet seat). Rugs were buckled and needed to be restretched. Walls were dirty. This hotel could use a good sprucing up. Even though it's only 3 years old, it takes a beating in the busy summer months, and needs to be maintained.

We were a family of 5 in a two queen suite. A bit cramped for us, but probably better for smaller families or couples.

One last thing I want to mention is when we stayed there in 2007, we used reward points (a steep 30,000) to stay there for free. We still had to give them a credit card for "incidentals", and when I received my statement I was shocked to see a charge for like $350. They charged me for the room!! Good thing I saw it. I called and they immediately credited my account, but it should not have been charged in the first place. What if I didn't notice it? Marriott needs to improve some of their basic procedures.

All in all, for the price I think we will look elsewhere for our stopover stay next time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FairfieldManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating during your stay. I apologize that you encountered issues during your visit with us. Unfortunately the nature and volume of our business this time of year does take it's toll, however we do our best to address all concerns our guests may experience. I apologize we did not meet your expectations on this trip, but do hope the next time you stopover in Virginia Beach you will reconsider staying with us again.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

The Hotel was clean and the breakfast buffet had very good variety. The lobby often had candys in a bowl. The rooms were very nice with a great view of the ocean. The hotel has an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The location is great. There are restraunts and gift shops around the area. There is a walking path and a cycling path. You can rent bikes across the street from the hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
FairfieldManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to inform us about your stay. We are striving to provide you with the most comfortable and friendly environment possible. Positive guest comments, such as yours, are crucial to assure that we are maintaining the level of quality and service that you expect and deserve. We look forward to being your home away from home whenever you are in Virginia Beach!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

The hotel is mOdern with great amenities and location. We arrived 5 hours early for check in and the staff was Able to get a room ready in 2 hrs. The indoor pool did not open daily at the posted time however there was a staff person getting it ready each morning...just 30 minute wait to open. The breakfast is very satisfiying...don't forget about the waffle machines around the corner! The balcony entrance has a high ledge so remember to step OVER or u will do serious damage to a toe! bath tubs a lite small but ros are clean and modern!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so very much for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the waffles! We hope we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again for your next getaway to Virginia Beach!
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband, parents and our 2 year stayed in a standard room for 5 nights. While the location of the hotel can't be beat i was disappointed in the condition of the hotel since we had been there 2 years ago. Our room had huge stains on the carpet, marks all over the walls, and stains on all the furniture. The areas under the nightstands and other furniture was white from dust. The air conditioning vent in the bedroom area was caked with dust - - it was so terrible we took it upon ourselves to clean it. The breakfast was fine - - nothing special. We ended up going somewhere else 2 mornings. We used reward pionts for some of our stay and paid for the other part. We also had a gift certificate. Talk about confusion at check-in. We finally got it straightened out, but then 2 days before we were due to check out we got a call "reminding" us to please vacate our room. There was a mix-up at the desk and we were able to continue with our stay. Every tie we visited the pool there were no towels and when we asked we were told the hotel was out.

However, all of our interactions with the staff were positive, and they were polite.

Overall it's a nice hotel, but not great. Not worth the very high rate per night, or the category 6 reward points redemption. I thikn with a major cleaning and some elbow grease the hotel could get back to where it used to be.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us again and taking the time to inform us about your visit. I am pleased to hear of your positive staff interaction. I sincerely apologize for the dust you experienced in your room. This time of year we experience such high occupancy and quick room turnaround time, that occaisionally we do miss things. I will certainly address this with our team. We are already addressing the concerns with some of the guestroom carpet, which will hopefully be resolved in the off season. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope you will give us another chance the next time you visit Virginia Beach.
Bethlehem ,Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We decided to book at Springhill suites considering that last year we had an excellent experience. However this year was different. The Hotel is large and it has a wonderful breakfast. However, there are many many flies so when eating, we had to constantly fight the flies off our food. When we arrived at our room, it smelled and when we opened a drawer there was a lady's bra along with some used sheets. It was obvious that housekeeping did not look in the drawers. The beds were made sloppy and there weren't any towels or soap in the room. We called down, and they assured us that they would take care of it. When we returned that evening, the room was still the same with no towels, soap and the bra with dirty sheets was still in drawer. We called again and then someone came in and picked up what was in the drawer. No soap though. Next morning, we ask for soap and we ask for towels. After returning from breakfast, we had one towel, (which was very dirty) It was a face towel, we couldn't believe it. We took the towel downstairs and they again assured us that it would be taken care of. When we returned upstairs, housekeeping had left their cleaning detergent in the bathroom which was not cleaned. The beds were made sloppy and the sheets were thin and cheap. Again we let front desk know and their response? "Things happen". Well quite disappointing considering what Spring Hill Suites Charge! I must say, I was quite disappointed. Although the rooms are spacious, housecleaning is poor! Aside from all that, the hotel is spacious, the pool is wonderful and the location is great for families. I truly think they are understaffed. Management should inspect the work house cleaning and their should be a training on cleaning and making beds. The room is spacious and there are two T.V.'s however our disappointment was the lack of cleanliness and care of the room. If this was taken care of, this is certainly a nice place to stay. Certainly not a five star but a three star is fair!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
FairfieldManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. Your comments are very important to us and greatly appreciated. I am disappointed to learn of the housekeeping issues you encountered during your recent stay and sincerely apologize. We value you as a guest and we want to make sure we are meeting your needs and exceeding your expectations and it seems we fell short in this instance. We will use your comments as a learning tool to improve the service we provide our guests. I do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Virginia beach area.