“Wonderful location”

SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Overall I enjoyed our stay at SpringHill Suites and would recommend it. I'm glad that I read Trip Advisor first because I asked for a room on the 2nd floor and it was really nice having a huge balcony! The view of the beach and ocean is absolutely beautiful. A free breakfast is offered every day from 6:30 - 9:30 and there are more than enough choices to make everyone happy. Waffle makers, eggs, fresh fruit, assorted breads/bagels, different breakfast meat every day, yogurt, cereal, granola, juice, coffee, tea, cocoa, etc. The entire staff was very friendly and always said hello, or good morning, or have a good day. The only thing I would have to say as a negative is that if you are staying for more than a few days the regular suite, which is what we stayed in as the suites with bedrooms were all sold out, can get a little cramped with 4 people. There was 2 queen beds and a sofa bed, so that obviously wasn't a problem. But....the closet is medium sized and the dresser only has 3 drawers, so one of our children had to keep their clothes in their suitcase the whole time. It wasn't a huge deal, just wish there was more drawers to put all our stuff for the week. Also on our last full day there our room wasn't cleaned and we were gone all day so it's not like we were hanging around the room and they couldn't get in. It was late when we got back and we were leaving the next day so I didn't bother calling the front desk. All the other days our room was cleaned very well and was well stocked with towels, shampoo, etc. My husband used the exercise room every day and he really liked that he could work out while enjoying the ocean view! Also, there is plenty of parking, which we found to be pretty nice in that area! Lots of stores right across the street for souvenir shopping too. Oh, if you are particular about your pillow you might want to bring your own, the pillows in our room were really big and round. Overall it was a lot of fun and our stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has huge balcony!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to inform us about your visit. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed your time at our hotel, and appreciate your feedback on our amenities and team members. We hope to see you again whenever you are in Virginia Beach!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a great family hotel! It's clean and quiet, the free breakfast was nice, it's just steps from the beach, and what was especially nice for us was that even though it was right on the boardwalk, it was still further down Atlantic Ave, away from the carnival atmosphere (amusement park rides, traffic, crowds of people) that is on further up. We were only minutes away from the Aquarium, and other points west that were easy to get to, and away from the crowds.

3  Thank _Steve_24_VA
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to inform us about your stay. We are striving to provide you with the most comfortable and friendly environment possible. Positive guest comments, such as yours, are crucial to assure that we are maintaining the level of quality and service that you expect and deserve. We look forward to being your home away from home whenever you are in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My family and I stayed here to visit my sister that we haven't seen in over four years. This hotel was very clean, and all the employee were very friendly. Talyor the guest service rep was very patient with the booking of my reservation and very helpful, with places to take the kids in the area. When I arrived the 11-7 guy I think he name was James took his time and provided us help with our bags to our room. Which was very helpful since we drove from Chicago we arrived really late. I would recommend staying at this hotel again it was very close to my sister house, and the view and shopping was great to keep everyone active. The staff treated you like were family, making sure you were ok, and helping with any way they could. The manager on staff was awesome!!!! Thanks for give us a great experience a place that would be a home away from home.

Thanks again
Shonta A

Room Tip: Very clean hotel, and friendly staff.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent trip. I am glad our staff was accommodating during your stay. We appreciate your taking the time to leave us a review and look forward to the next time you can visit us in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Its our second visit here, the first being 2 years ago and we still enjoyed the hotel. There was plenty of parking. Check in was swift and we enjoyed the free tea and coffee before heading to our rooms. As far as I can see all the rooms face the ocean. All the staff we encountered, front desk, cleaning and breakfast were very pleasant and appeared happy in there work. The only thing we would say that is in both rooms we remade the beds. They had either been made in a hurry and poorly or they need to upgrade there linen to better fitting products. The mattress cover didn't really fit the bed and neither did the sheet, a sign of shrinkage from too mush washing.
Mahi Mah, is a nice restaurant 2 blocks away and was recommended to us last time we stayed, we did find it overly noisy this time though.
The breakfast has stayed the same, waffles, toast, muffins, fruit, cereal and a hot selection - everything you need.

Room Tip: They all face the sea, what more do you need.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your return visit! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and are glad we delivered consistent service. We appreciate your feedback on the sheets and will look into a resolution. We hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you come to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We moved to this hotel from another about 2 blocks away that was awful! This hotel was clean, friendly and priced well. All of the staff, from front desk to our housekeeping staff, Judith, were personable and very accomodating. I thought I was being stupid when the coffee maker in the room didn't work properly...Judith noticed while cleaning the room and had the machine replaced! Great place!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula B
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you so very much for your kind comments. I am proud to hear that Judith made a positive difference in your stay. She will be recognized for her efforts. We look forward to the next time you can visit us in Virginia Beach!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I along with another couple decided we needed a weekend away from home to re charge after the horrible winter weather. We needed someplace in driving distance and decided on Virginia Beach. Our friends had frequent user points for Marriott so he offered to book the rooms. We had been to Virginia Beach many times, but had never stayed at SpringHill Suites. It was a very pleasant experience. Check in was effortless and the beautiful ocean front view was spectacular. The room was large and comfortable complete with two flat screen tvs, microwave and refrigerator.. The indoor pool area included a large tot tub which was clean and hot, very relaxing. The complementary breakfast was excellent. Hot, fresh eggs, sausage, gravy and waffles were available as well as yogurts, biscuits, fruit, juices, etc. A coffee bar is available all day. Over all I would highly recommend this hotel. The only suggestion I would make would be for them to upgrade the carpet throughout as it is very dated looking and brash. The weather was not great but with the ocean only steps away it didn't matter! Also several places to eat and shop within walking distance. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Linda B
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you so very much for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your needs and hope we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again for your next getaway to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I'm not sure what happened to this once nice, well run hotel, but current management seems to have ruined it. What a disappointment.

I stay in well over 100 hotels a year, many of which are Marriott properties. My stating this property is a colossal disappointment is an opinion backed by experience.

The hotel is in the process of a renovation. THE DRAPES DON'T MATCH THE CARPET! That's not a euphemism. That's a sad fact. You will spend your stay wondering how such a thing could happen in what must be a multi-million dollar renovation. It's a tip off for how this hotel operates. The staff seems not to communicate with coworkers, and they seem to not know how to communicate the truth. The end result? The carpet is deep, royal blue and crimson, while the drapes are pastel tan and light blue. The drapes don't match the carpet.

I asked for a feather free room. This is in my profile. Marriott communicates this in no uncertain terms to hotels prior to my checking in. I call ahead of time. Since I was arriving late, I called the desk that evening and asked the clerk to double check. I emphasized that he should do it personally, and not pawn it off on someone else, which he promised to do. He also said it was noted as being done in my blocked room. When I checked in, this man crowed about having checked himself. Of course, it was not feather free. When I called the desk, suddenly he was blaming the person he asked to do this! When I checked in, he told me he did it himself. Which was true? Does it matter? One was a lie. As was word of the housekeeper who obviously said she did this, the housekeeping manager who couldn't be bothered to check but said it was done, etc.

The manager asked the next day what could be done to "make up" for the mistake. Clueless. Unless she has a time machine, how is she going to make up for my lost sleep while I had to deal with this after midnight? I had only a few hours to sleep. How can she make up for her incompetence taking some of that away? Rather than taking the initiative to make sure it was done, she seems to think she can just throw free stuff afterwards. It explains the attitude of her employees. BTW - I declined the free stuff she was trying to throw my way. That does NOTHING towards correcting the mistake.

If they cannot accomplish something so simple, yet, with a straight face, claim it was done, what else are they so cavalier about? Are the rooms really cleaned? Is the food really handled safely?

There are other choices in Va Beach. Both Courtyards are beachfront, and the Hilton is a very nice hotel. There really is no reason to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank CJKatl
SpringHillVBManager, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. I surely understand your frustration with the issues you encountered during your time with us. Please know that your comments were addressed with our team at the time you brought them to our attention for improvement. I can assure you that this is not the type of service we strive to provide. We do value you as a guest and we always make sure we address all problems guest unfortunately experience. Again, we regret that your stay was not up to your expectations and apologize that we disappointed you. We wish you the best in your future travels.